My Aussie TV to the UK?

Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:51 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default My Aussie TV to the UK?

I know it's been asked before (sorry) but I bought my TV here in Perth. Wridgeways Removals said that Aussie TVs can be used in the UK where as an English TV can't be used in OZ

Is this correct? Will I be able to use it when we get back? Same goes for the DVD and the Video?

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:09 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Aussie TV to the UK?

Originally posted by janeyray
I know it's been asked before (sorry) but I bought my TV here in Perth. Wridgeways Removals said that Aussie TVs can be used in the UK where as an English TV can't be used in OZ

Is this correct? Will I be able to use it when we get back? Same goes for the DVD and the Video?

Thanks
Hiya Janey

My hubby (sitting near me ) says yes you can...all PAL as far as he knows....perhaps Mike or HP can defo that for you as they may have already done it !!

Cheers

P
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:28 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Pants
Hiya Janey

My hubby (sitting near me ) says yes you can...all PAL as far as he knows....perhaps Mike or HP can defo that for you as they may have already done it !!

Cheers

P
Thanks Pants !
Old Apr 26th 2004, 3:36 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
Thanks Pants !
Janey how excited are you now???sorry I've not emailed for a bit just had visitors etc....we are also trying to sell the house ourselves..so far no-one has viewed it but have had phonecalls.

Will try for an open house next week...any tips please???

Cheers

P
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It depends on the TV. You might not get sound. Both do use PAL but the sound signal is encoded differently in Australia. Another point is that the tube might be designed for the southern hemisphere only. The vertical element of the earths magnetic field is the opposite to the northern hemisphere. This can lead to a distorted picture after a period of time. Sounds mad but it is true.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:57 am
Live the moment

Originally posted by bondipom
It depends on the TV. You might not get sound. Both do use PAL but the sound signal is encoded differently in Australia. Another point is that the tube might be designed for the southern hemisphere only. The vertical element of the earths magnetic field is the opposite to the northern hemisphere. This can lead to a distorted picture after a period of time. Sounds mad but it is true.

how would you find this out????
Old Apr 26th 2004, 6:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Pants
how would you find this out????
I would refer to the TV manufacturer. The more expensive the TV the more likely it will work. Several people coming to Oz have found there TVs receive no sound and their pictures distorting after a period of time.

A suggestion would be to sell ones TV on e-bay or the trading post and buy new in the UK. I believe UK prices are very competitive.

Another option if the TV receives no sound is to buy a UK VCR and use it as the receiver. The only issue will be that you won't be able to record one channel and watch another.
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough

Hi Janey,

When we moved to Oz we brought over our widescreen tv & had the sound chip changed as there was a buzzing sound, good picture but no sound.

We brought the telly back with us expecting to have the sound chip changed again but it works fine. Phew!

However, the portable tv we bought in Oz can be tuned in here with a good reception but the sound is buzzing so I think it'll have to be fiddled with by a telly man! It won't even work with a UK video connected & I can't play videos either

The good news is that tvs here are so cheap, cant believe it. Do an online check & see for yourself

www.comparestoreprices.co.uk