My 9 month update

Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold
Default My 9 month update

It's been 9 months since I moved back to the UK after 12 years in Australia.

Has been an interesting ride, some things better than I expected, some things worse. At times I have really missed my friends in Australia, and my lifestyle too, there's no doubt that after spending most of my adult life in Aus leaving there was a real wrench.

Things that I didn't expect, well I knew the weather in Scotland would be crappy as I did live there for 22 years. But this winter just gone surpassed my expectations, it was way worse than anything I remember growing up there, to the point where I bought ski wear for the daily commute to work.

Property prices, haven't seen any bargains at all, if prices have dropped it's mostly in the new builds which were so overpriced anyway, coming from Canberra to here it is still cheaper here but wages are also lower.

Socializing, plenty to do here in Glasgow, loads of choices for nights out etc, tons of bands to go and see etc. Food, hmmm, most meals have been disappointing but I'm still getting to know the place I suppose. Haven't managed any fab European citybreaks as yet, but they are certainly available.

Work, pretty similar to working in Australia, and they still take the mickey out my accent as I have apparently picked up a Strine twang!

Family and friends, even more awesome than expected, can't do enough for me to help me get settled back in. That's the main reason I came back really and it's been wonderful. Being able to plan to do stuff with my mum and dad/brothers etc in 2 months time, well that's just a great feeling, and no gut wrenching farewell at airport at the end of every visit.

So if the price is wearing ski trousers to work, eating crap food and living in a teeny tiny house, on balance I can live with it.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My 9 month update

I think you picked the worst winter ever to move back, it can only get better from that right?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

islandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to beholdislandergirl is a splendid one to behold

I certainly hope so, coldest winter, worst time in living memory to look for a job, etc etc. Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb eh?
Old Apr 8th 2010, 6:58 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

It was a rotten winter and a bad "first" impression.

It's made us rethink the north, which might be unfair. It was still a bad winter in the SW but not quite so bad.

I'd agree about house prices. As I understand it, however, paid prices are mostly a lot below asking. Can't remember where I saw that. As a result not a lot are selling and people are holding off even putting a house on sale if they can.

I was watching one of those house-search programs. Place By The Sea, I think. They showed an architect designed modern house in St. Ives for 500,000, but the vendor said he'd take 450,000. I noted the date on the programme and I think it was 2007. That house is still for sale for 495,000, which seems unrealistic to me.

Bev
Old Apr 8th 2010, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by islandergirl
So if the price is wearing ski trousers to work, eating crap food and living in a teeny tiny house, on balance I can live with it.
It sure is!!

Hope it all works out brilliantly.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Islandergirl. Good to hear from you.
Very balanced update.
Glad to hear that on the whole you are happy with the move, there are bound to be good and bad bits about being back.

I am holding off for another year until the economy improves (could be forever, the way things seem to be going

Hopefully now that spring is here, Scotland will be amazing.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Good to hear from you and that all is going pretty well! You didnt exactly choose the best winter for your return but hopefully the world is now bursting into colour and you will get right into the swing of it.

Canberra is just the same as ever - unfortunately!