Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving the whole (mixed US/UK) clan back to the UK....

Moving the whole (mixed US/UK) clan back to the UK....

Old Jun 4th 2021, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

SFOLHR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving the whole (mixed US/UK) clan back to the UK....

Hi all,

I have a particular question that I couldn't find an answer for. We're planning on coming back to the UK prior to the new school year from California and wanted some insight on how to handle visa's.

I'm a British Citizen, as is my daughter. My two infant sons are US-only as I didn't get a chance to apply for their British citizenship yet.

My question is, can the boys move to the UK on their US passports while their 'MN1 Registration as a British citizen' is being processed? Or it better to do it once they arrive in the UK? Or even stay in the US until the process is complete?

Thanks!
Old Jun 4th 2021, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving the whole (mixed US/UK) clan back to the UK....

If you are a Brit born and bred, even though your sons were born in the US they too are British (by descent).

You could just apply for their passports.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks! I wasn't aware of that!

I was actually born an expat too and my parents opted to bring me back to the UK, naturalize me, and thereafter I lived in the UK for 30 years before moving here. (not sure if that background spiel has any relevance!)

My daughter was born in London before we moved to the Bay Area so that was relatively straightforward.

Apparently, because I was was naturalized, the boys are eligible for Citizenship (otherwise by descent)?
  • I was born in Norway
  • Naturalized British (did not acquire it by descent)
  • Sons born in USA
I assume I can still apply for their passports as per normal?

P.s. thanks for the lightening fast response!
Old Jun 4th 2021, 6:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

What exactly does your citizenship certificate say?
Old Jun 4th 2021, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
What exactly does your citizenship certificate say?
It's titled Certificate of Naturalization as a British Citizen from 1997 (when I was 13).
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SFOLHR
Thanks! I wasn't aware of that!

I was actually born an expat too and my parents opted to bring me back to the UK, naturalize me, and thereafter I lived in the UK for 30 years before moving here. (not sure if that background spiel has any relevance!)

My daughter was born in London before we moved to the Bay Area so that was relatively straightforward.

Apparently, because I was was naturalized, the boys are eligible for Citizenship (otherwise by descent)?
  • I was born in Norway
  • Naturalized British (did not acquire it by descent)
  • Sons born in USA
I assume I can still apply for their passports as per normal?

P.s. thanks for the lightening fast response!

Thanks for the info...... so you are a naturalised Brit so, no, cannot just apply for son's passports.
See BIP as responded - follow his questions and answers

Were YOUR parents British born and bred?

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 4th 2021 at 7:04 pm.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Thanks for the info...... so you are a naturalised Brit so, no, cannot just apply for son's passports.
See BIP as responded - follow his questions and answers

Were YOUR parents British born and bred?
No, they were naturalized too. They immigrated, naturalized, got a job abroad and I was born in Norway. They then took me back to the UK when I was a baby...before I left and did the same!
Old Jun 4th 2021, 7:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, they were naturalized too. They immigrated, naturalized, got a job abroad and I was born in Norway. They then took me back to the UK when I was a baby...before I left and did the same!

Aaaahhh.... hence you applying for your sons' 'MN1 Registration as a British citizen .....

Sure BIP can answer your original questions......
Old Jun 4th 2021, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Aaaahhh.... hence you applying for your sons' 'MN1 Registration as a British citizen .....

Sure BIP can answer your original questions......
Thanks!!
Old Jun 4th 2021, 8:07 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's titled Certificate of Naturalization as a British Citizen from 1997 (when I was 13).
Does it say ‘Certificate of registration as a British citizen’ and S.3(1)?
Old Jun 4th 2021, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Does it say ‘Certificate of registration as a British citizen’ and S.3(1)?
Yes sir, it does; and Section 3(1)
Old Jun 4th 2021, 9:01 pm

Yes sir, it does; and Section 3(1)
I would check the date of your parents’ certificates. I suspect you all become citizens on the same day in 1997. If so then all your children should already be British citizens and you need only apply for their passports.
Old Jun 4th 2021, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

I would check the date of your parents’ certificates. I suspect you all become citizens on the same day in 1997. If so then all your children should already be British citizens and you need only apply for their passports.
Hah! You're right - we did! That's crazy.

Thank you so much for that info. That's a huge weight off my mind....and wallet!
Old Jun 4th 2021, 11:11 pm

Hah! You're right - we did! That's crazy.

Thank you so much for that info. That's a huge weight off my mind....and wallet!
No worries. Just be prepared to provide your parents’ naturalisation certificates as well as your own registration certificate.
Old Jun 5th 2021, 12:12 am
Just Joined

No worries. Just be prepared to provide your parents’ naturalisation certificates as well as your own registration certificate.
Will do. Thanks again!