Reload this Page >

Moving to UK-Standard Employment Terms

Moving to UK-Standard Employment Terms

Old Aug 8th 2023, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Ishaq is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to UK-Standard Employment Terms

Dear Expats

As i am planning to Migrate to UK, seeking advice on standard employment terms and benefits in London. I am in Final stage of Interview for a managerial position. Appreciate if forum can guide me on this.
- Does the salary structure include basic salary+ Housing +Transportation or Just Basic Salary
- Approximate schooling allowance
- Annual Air Ticket for expats
- UK Residence permit related expenses reimbursement
- Private Medical Insurance
- Pension Scheme
Old Aug 8th 2023, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to UK-Standard Employment Terms

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Is this a transfer with your current company? A 'normal' job offer wouldn't include any of the things you've mentioned other than pension usually, unless it's an expat posting or an executive role. Standard would generally only be salary (possibly bonus and shares, depending on the job), paid holiday/sick leave, and pension contributions. Some companies will offer other things i.e. a company car or private healthcare, but often that you 'buy' as part of your package rather than being included. But the people to ask about any extras or benefits are the HR department of the company.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 8th 2023 at 2:28 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback.
No, the opportunity does not pertain to my current employer. As I'm reaching the final stages of the interview process, I was considering negotiating if I gained insight into the typical employment conditions beforehand. I'm hopeful that someone with HR expertise in the forum might offer their support.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 4:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ishaq
Dear Expats

As i am planning to Migrate to UK, seeking advice on standard employment terms and benefits in London. I am in Final stage of Interview for a managerial position. Appreciate if forum can guide me on this.
- Does the salary structure include basic salary+ Housing +Transportation or Just Basic Salary
- Pension Scheme
'Standard' employment terms and benefits will pertain to individual company's offerings.
If company is only paying you a salary then your contract will provide details of that, description of job, plus hours of work, place of work and standard work conditions.
Unless at the interview stage they offer what you list above - housing, transport allowance, schooling allowance, annual air tickets, residence permit, private medical insurance, pension scheme - then these are things you are going to have to ask about and possibly negotiate.
Old Aug 8th 2023, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Thank you
Old Aug 9th 2023, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Expats

- Pension Scheme
Our daughter's partner has just moved to the UK last month and his package includes:

- Basic salary + bonus scheme
- Pension Scheme

He funded and got his own work permit which is not dependent on employer. (Global Talent visa)

If you are being relocated by your existing company you can expect much more help in relocation expenses, and possibly a paid for tax preparer for the first year or 2.

Old Aug 15th 2023, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the feedback.
Old Aug 15th 2023, 2:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback.
No, the opportunity does not pertain to my current employer. As I'm reaching the final stages of the interview process, I was considering negotiating if I gained insight into the typical employment conditions beforehand. I'm hopeful that someone with HR expertise in the forum might offer their support.
So other than pension, private medical and possibly reimbursement of your visa costs, I wouldn't expect anything else. None of those things would normally ever be offered for a standard job. Do make sure the salary is sufficient if you were hoping for but don't end up getting housing, transport, schooling or air fares - the UK isn't a cheap place to live!

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 15th 2023 at 2:38 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2023, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for valuable feedback
Old Aug 16th 2023, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

If you're moving as an expat, i.e. a temporary overseas posting, the offer may include housing, kid's education costs, flights home, etc. if it's on expatriate terms. It generally won't it the posting is on local terms (i.e. the package is equivalent to that offered to local employees).

Your job appears to be a permanent UK position, i.e. local terms by default. Employer's differ by what benefits they offer (pension, company car, medical insurance, etc.). But it's highly unlikely they will offer accommodation, kid's schooling, flights home (as a local, you are home!), etc. If you are applying for a very senior position you may be able to negotiate some or all of the extras, but not for a normal position.