Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving To The Uk From Canada!!!!

Moving To The Uk From Canada!!!!

Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Mardigrodge is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving To The Uk From Canada!!!!

Got a few questions about moving to the UK. I have dual citizenship (Canada and UK) have never been and am going to head over to the UK pretty soon.

I am planning on living there for a substantial amount of time. Not entirely sure where I am going to live (Scotland, England or Ireland) and was curious as to where most people would recommend I go. I have friends in all of these places, but want some opionions from others abroad. I am leaning more towards Engalnd, then Scotland and Ireland lastly, but would love the input.

How much are flats in these countries? Hostels per night/week?

How much is transportation? Buses, trains, buying a vehicle, insurance for vehicles.

How much are groceries in these places? Eg - eggs, milk, bread, pasta, soups etc...

How much does BOOZE cost, cause lord knows I like to drink! Cost in pubs and night clubs and how much at the liqour stores?

How hard is it to find good jobs in these countries? Are there any specific fields that are lacking good employees?

Any other information people would find of use to me would be greatly appreciated. Anything!!!

Cheers,

Mardigrodge
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:33 pm
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving To The Uk From Canada!!!!

Originally Posted by Mardigrodge
Got a few questions about moving to the UK. I have dual citizenship (Canada and UK) have never been and am going to head over to the UK pretty soon.

I am planning on living there for a substantial amount of time. Not entirely sure where I am going to live (Scotland, England or Ireland) and was curious as to where most people would recommend I go. I have friends in all of these places, but want some opionions from others abroad. I am leaning more towards Engalnd, then Scotland and Ireland lastly, but would love the input.

How much is transportation? Buses, trains, buying a vehicle, insurance for vehicles.

How much are groceries in these places? Eg - eggs, milk, bread, pasta, soups etc...

How much does BOOZE cost, cause lord knows I like to drink! Cost in pubs and night clubs and how much at the liqour stores?

How hard is it to find good jobs in these countries? Are there any specific fields that are lacking good employees?

Any other information people would find of use to me would be greatly appreciated. Anything!!!

Cheers,

Mardigrodge

Sound like Wales may be the best place for you.
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by IN THE YEAR 2525
Sound like Wales may be the best place for you.
Do u have anymore insight into your recommendation? As in prices of things over there?

Cheers
Old Dec 27th 2004, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

LegB4Wicket is on a distinguished road

Cheers,

Mardigrodge
Ireland is not part of the UK. Do you mean Ulster?

You are looking for a great deal of information. Trying checking the links in this thread. They should be of some help. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=267933

Good Luck!
Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:44 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends what kind of life you are after and what you plan to work as.

Cost of living varies from Scotland/England/.N Ireland/Wales. Then theres the North of England over the South of England.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

find this is a useful site

www.upmystreet.com

plenty to look up and compare house prices, crime, education plus others
Old Dec 28th 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Have you thought about buying a pub? No need to go out and get the booze then.

Where are you presently in Canada?
Old Dec 28th 2004, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
Have you thought about buying a pub? No need to go out and get the booze then.

Where are you presently in Canada?
Wouldn't I love to buy a pub, but that's a bit of a risk seeing as this will be my first trip over there. Not looking to do that quite yet, but who knows, maybe I can find a good bartender/owner who'll let me put a pound of each beer bought towards becoming a partner!

As far as where I am in Canada, I am currently in Vancouver. Living the life of saving and doing nothing else, well, other than working my u know what off!

Where u from? Have u had any good/bad experiences over in the UK?
Old Dec 29th 2004, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

zalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond reputezalaben has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Moving To The Uk From Canada!!!!

i have dual nationality too and lived the better part of my childhood in the UK. Most of my best friends are still there. After a recent trip back , i fell in love with the place all over again. I am living in quebec city and have 3 kids .. 11 10 and almost 7 and i would love to move back to the UK... AND THEN I READ POSTS OF PEOPLE WANTING TO COME TO CANADA AND I THINK........... AM I MISSING SOMETHING???!!

the hard part is making the decision and knowing whats best for the kids . also , i work as a nurse and i dont thin k my degree is valid in the UK . HOW EASY WAS IT FOR YOU TO MAKE THE FINAL DECISION? and do you have a job waiting for you??
Old Dec 29th 2004, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by zalaben
i have dual nationality too and lived the better part of my childhood in the UK. Most of my best friends are still there. After a recent trip back , i fell in love with the place all over again. I am living in quebec city and have 3 kids .. 11 10 and almost 7 and i would love to move back to the UK... AND THEN I READ POSTS OF PEOPLE WANTING TO COME TO CANADA AND I THINK........... AM I MISSING SOMETHING???!!

the hard part is making the decision and knowing whats best for the kids . also , i work as a nurse and i dont thin k my degree is valid in the UK . HOW EASY WAS IT FOR YOU TO MAKE THE FINAL DECISION? and do you have a job waiting for you??
What you are missing is in part this.
The UK is one of the leading economies in the world - yet the GDP per Cpaita is lower than an emerging country as Canada is. Why - because most of the money is with the few. The standard of living overall is lower than Canada unless you have stacks of money. The cost of living is one of the highest in the world. The economy is 80% banks and insurance, little raw material, little manufacturing industry. Very few live in rose covered cottages as you would imagine the image to be. The English can be elitist, arragant, snobby (yes it exists and is as strong as ever), difficult, rude... Unemployment is higher than the figures you see as the way they are addressed changes to make them look better. Nearly half a million civil servants employed in the last 7 years many of which even those who employed them cannot understand why they did. In some inner city areas one in three households have no income let alone one working.

An article recently asked a Mobile manufacturer why the UK residents pay over twice what those on the continent do for the same product. Answer - because its a captive isolated market and the UK is used to having the piss taken out of it. Cars...we still pay more than the European counterparts. More costs - more taxes. Poorer people pay more than they should be but hey - who gives a shit.

It has crime, drugs, poor health service, poor pension system (did I say pension - what pension system). A good many children leave school at 16 with no qualifications.

No different to any other country really.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 3:01 pm
Banned

Sharmagirl will become famous soon enoughSharmagirl will become famous soon enough

DO NOT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a UK born - moved to canada w/ parents when I was age 5. I grew up in Canada. We (hubby and I) decided when I was 27 to move back to the UK ---- Financially it has been great. My hubby (canadian) is well employed over here and I am working as well, but I miss Ontario --- STILL --- I have been back 4.5 years. The UK is what you make of it. I have made the most of it and will continue to till I have my retraining, but in the long run I am a canadian chick - not a yorkshire lass!!

My parents and I swop care packs every few months --- I send my mom uk goodies and I get tims coffee!!

The culture shock has worn off finally. But I felt let down for the first few years because of the image of England I was given by my parents. I think my mom glorified the UK because she missed it so much at first. So I went back with a real misconception. It did not help that at first we lived in a dodgy area of Yorkshire. (Since moved!!)

Bread 20p to £1.10 (depending on brand) CND$0.50 - $2.60
Milk £1.50 for 6 pints CND$3.50
Petrol (gas) 84p per litre - that is a whopping CND$1.91 a litre
Booze is cheaper than Coca cola
Bus pass for the week (South Yorkshire) £12.50 (CDN$30.00)
Eggs - can't remember but ---- SHOCK ----- they are NOT refridgerated in the shops, you buy off the shelf next to the cereal!!!

Now how's that for info... Either way if you think you will like it, have an open mind and are open for an adventure. Do what's right for you and your family if you have kiddies. But make the most of your life.

All the best and good luck

Sharma
Old Dec 29th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cost of living - turn it on its head and you get the Canada to UK route

Odd comment considering that over half of the households in London Ontario earn over $50,000. I cannot see that being true in an out of the way city in the UK. Like for like then the dollar will go further.

The figures as follow come off UK Government statistics 2002 (will not have changed much)

Average UK Household Income £27,500
Average London Household Income £36,972

Canadian average 2 parents with 4 dependent children $83,000

see link as there are many categories....pick the one that applies to you

http://www.statcan.ca/english/Pgdb/famil05a.htm

Obviously it depends on what you do. It helps I guess to have been born in Canada as well due to length of service in ones profession. I look at the stats with a view to my children and their future. Not mine.

But cost of living is a third higher than Canada which is slightly higher than US

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Dec 29th 2004 at 4:01 pm.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 6:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As someone else has pointed out, Northern Ireland is part of the UK, while the Republic of Ireland is a separate country. If travelling to that part of the world you need to be clear on the distinctions as otherwise you will ruffle feathers.

Scotland and Northern Ireland are different in many ways from England, the Republic of Ireland is more different because of being a separate country.

If you do choose to live in the Republic of Ireland:
- as a British citizen you have full permanent residence rights there, most of the same rights as Irish citizens, plus the right to apply for Irish citizenship yourself after five years if you wish
- if you have children born there they will probably not be British citizens as it sounds like you are British 'by descent') unless your partner can pass on British citizenship, but they will be Irish citizens.

You don't say whether you plan to bring a partner or children, but they will need visas if so.

Jeremy
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:36 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Got a few questions about moving to the UK. I have dual citizenship (Canada and UK) have never been and am going to head over to the UK pretty soon...

Mardigrodge
I've lived in London for some years and am returning to Canada. I've had enough. The south east of England is probably the best place for jobs but also the most expensive and crowded. In a recent poll in the Economist Magazine the UK was ranked the lowest among pre-enlargment European Union countries (France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, etc) for standard of living. One of the main reasons for this is percieved breakdown of family values in the UK, which has the one of the highest incidence of single parent families in the EU. The Republic of Ireland had the highest ranking in the poll.

Renting a flat in Greater London could put you back £1000 ($2300) per month at least. A monthly travelcard into London can cost up to £150 ($345) per month. However, I think milk, books and clothes are cheaper than in Canada.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

You will need to supply more info about what you do for a living, your interests and your ideal lifestyle otherwise it is impossible to advise you. The one thing I can say is that London is extremely expensive and unless you have a very well paid job your standard of living will be low. Better to live somewhere else and just visit London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.