Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving to UK... 3mths stand-down?

moving to UK... 3mths stand-down?

Old May 20th 2014, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Diane76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to UK... 3mths stand-down?

I am a British citizen with a nine year old child who would be a British citizen by descent I believe... I want to go back to the UK after thirteen years in NZ. I haven't got a job to go straight into there yet and will need to rent somewhere asap. The question is whether I am entitled to any form of housing or income benefit, child support etc as I will not be able to find work until I am in the country.

I have phoned work n pensions and they said I can't apply for a job seekers allowance as I haven't worked in UK for so many years and that I can apply for housing benefit only through the local council. The CAB said that depending on how long I have been out of the country, I may also have to satisfy the conditions of a test, known as the habitual residence test (HRT) before you're allowed to make a claim.

I am sooooo worried I will make a mistake... can anyone please offer any advice?
Old May 21st 2014, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to UK... 3mths stand-down?

Originally Posted by Diane76
I am a British citizen with a nine year old child who would be a British citizen by descent I believe... I want to go back to the UK after thirteen years in NZ. I haven't got a job to go straight into there yet and will need to rent somewhere asap. The question is whether I am entitled to any form of housing or income benefit, child support etc as I will not be able to find work until I am in the country.

I have phoned work n pensions and they said I can't apply for a job seekers allowance as I haven't worked in UK for so many years and that I can apply for housing benefit only through the local council. The CAB said that depending on how long I have been out of the country, I may also have to satisfy the conditions of a test, known as the habitual residence test (HRT) before you're allowed to make a claim.

I am sooooo worried I will make a mistake... can anyone please offer any advice?
I know some returnees who were offered family allowance and also other benefits as they came back from overseas without nearly a penny to their name, they did not contact the authorities while overseas just returned home and made an appointment for their children's National Insurance Numbers where they were also informed of all the help they could receive, they are now both in jobs and are saving up for their own home as they currently rent. Good luck
Old May 21st 2014, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diane76

Go and see your local Council as an absolute first priority. They are likely to request that you take the HRT. This is done to ensure you have a serious intent to stay in the UK permanently. It helps this test if you have close family ties, and/or you get involved in the community (eg: helping at the school/volunteering somewhere etc).
It's an ill defined test, but it helps to show you are committed and settled in your area to do such things.
If you pass it-(take nothing for granted, but remain positive), then apply to Council for Benefit help.

It is a hard road, but one you must take if you want to come home!

......................as long as you can remove your child from NZ legally?

Best wishes!
Old May 21st 2014, 5:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Coincidentally,here is an article in today's Guardian newspaper about this issue here:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...residency-test

If the article is right, it looks as if you won't get anything for three months (which is, of course, when you need the help).

Ridiculous.
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved back 2 years ago I took the HRT. My brother helped me fill it out. I had all intentions of staying in the U.K for a variety of reasons I ended up coming back to the U.K (in hindsight wish I had stayed in the U.K) I signed on at the job center , put a deposit on a flat. I had money for the first few months rent. It took about a month after filling out the HRT to get housing benefit. I went to the local council office. The man in there wanted passport and bank statements. I didn't have a bank account at that time. I opened one wiht the Royal Bank of Scotland. I first tried Clydesdale Bank but they didn't let me open an account since I wasn't employed even though I had money to put into the account!! Anyway I think you will get help. I hope you do. It was very unsettling moving back for me. I thought I was prepared mentally but I wasn't. Really don't think you can be until you move back and all the emotions I was experiencing were overwhelming so I didn't give it enough time. If there is a better business bureau in your area they were helpful to me. I wish you the best of luck..
Old May 22nd 2014, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute

you have to prove residence in the UK for 3 months prior to applying for any benefits, therefore you won't qualify for anything straight away and will need to have enough savings on you to make sure you can live for at least the first 3 months.
Old May 23rd 2014, 6:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheCarpenter
<<snip>>
They do not 'racially discriminate' against white people. That is a silly and offensive thing to say.

Social housing is allocated on the basis of need. A single mum will go fairly high up the list and a 15 year wait is unlikely. In the meantime, the duty to house someone with a child would mean you'd be offered accommodation, probably in a B&B. These can be fairly horrible places however.

Try looking at the Gingerbread site. It is a charity for single parents. As well as reading the info on the site, it might be a good idea to contact them direct.

The CAB site is worth looking at too.

Last edited by Sue; May 23rd 2014 at 7:08 pm. Reason: Quoted post sniped out.
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:19 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Actually, you are just a racist.
Old May 23rd 2014, 7:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

I can also add, that I was a local authority lawyer for many years, and I know how the system works a lot better than a bigoted carpenter.
Old May 23rd 2014, 8:34 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

As far as I can see, your reason for joining this forum is that you wish to emigrate to Australia. It may disappoint you to know that Australia abandoned its White Australia policy in the 1970s.

Since you wish to become an immigrant yourself, your racism is particularly dumb.

This conversation is beneath me, and is now over.