Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving to Scotland with Hubby who is a citizen

Wikiposts

Moving to Scotland with Hubby who is a citizen

Old Aug 24th 2013, 3:14 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Scotland with Hubby who is a citizen

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
We will be going back to my husband's hometown in Northern Ireland in two weeks. For a visit.

Because we'd like to return there someday, I've always tried to look at the city like I live there. Not like a tourist. I'm advantaged over some Americans in that regard, because when I am there I'm not staying in a hotel or a smart little B and B. I'm staying with my BIL in a little terrace house in a working class neighborhood.

I always try to "see" the garbage and the grey sky. I try to imagine just walking home like - say after work.

I'm sure you get my drift. I do think - for you - that a visit would be a good idea. Just to let you know what life is like there. It's surprisingly different. Much of it in a good way, in my opinion. My husband worries I would have problems with lack of daylight in the winter. And the rain. I can remember walking up a hill one time feeling like I was being pushed by the wind!
The climate and weather thing, and what different people can and want to adapt to, is funny. My wife is from New York City, I'm from the London area. She likes hot weather, 75 to 85, say, and sunshine. She doesn't even go out in the rain. I like cooler weather, 45 to 75, and overcast wih drizzle makes my day. We are completely incompatible. We've lived together for forty years.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:35 am
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Scotland with Hubby who is a citizen

Originally Posted by robin1234
The climate and weather thing, and what different people can and want to adapt to, is funny. My wife is from New York City, I'm from the London area. She likes hot weather, 75 to 85, say, and sunshine. She doesn't even go out in the rain. I like cooler weather, 45 to 75, and overcast wih drizzle makes my day. We are completely incompatible. We've lived together for forty years.

I think I'll read that to my husband!