Moving from Romania to UK

Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

heathrow_0808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving from Romania to UK

Hello all,

I am quite new on this forum, so if this topic has already been started, apology for my redundancy.

I am preparing to move from Romania to UK in the following months. Currently, I am not exactly sure which will be the specific location as the pharmaceutical company I may start to work with has several sites spread all over UK so we haven't settled the location yet.

However, I tried to do some research upon what does the immigration require and I have to admit I am kinda lost. Therefore, could someone please help me with some indications on the regular taxes, what card may I need to apply for and everything that may be useful for someone who moves in the UK?

Additionally, I would also like to ask you about the salary part. From your perspective, do you think that 40,000 GPB per year, as a gross salary, would be a decent one and allows me also to make some savings? I need to mention that I am single and I am doing this step for myself.

Many thanks in advance for your help. I hope I'll receive some useful replies .

Cheers!
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving from Romania to UK

Originally Posted by heathrow_0808
Hello all,

I am quite new on this forum, so if this topic has already been started, apology for my redundancy.

I am preparing to move from Romania to UK in the following months. Currently, I am not exactly sure which will be the specific location as the pharmaceutical company I may start to work with has several sites spread all over UK so we haven't settled the location yet.

However, I tried to do some research upon what does the immigration require and I have to admit I am kinda lost. Therefore, could someone please help me with some indications on the regular taxes, what card may I need to apply for and everything that may be useful for someone who moves in the UK?

Additionally, I would also like to ask you about the salary part. From your perspective, do you think that 40,000 GPB per year, as a gross salary, would be a decent one and allows me also to make some savings? I need to mention that I am single and I am doing this step for myself.

Cheers!
Hi, this is a site for people moving to Canada, mainly Brits but some other nationalities too. So you won't get much info on here... Good luck with your research
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Err, you must be quite lost as this is the Canada section not the Moving Back to the UK section. That can be found here: Moving back to the UK - British Expats

But to answer a few of your questions, 40,000 GBP is quite a lot and is on par with average salaries. You should be able to save quite a bit on this.

As an EU citizen you are entitled to move to the UK under freedom of movement. All you need is your Romanian passport and/or identity card, its best to have both as you can send one away for your resident card application/PR in future, whilst retaining the other for traveling.

So you shouldn't have much trouble moving to the UK from an immigration perspective.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

heathrow_0808 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gozit
Err, you must be quite lost as this is the Canada section not the Moving Back to the UK section. That can be found here: Moving back to the UK - British Expats

But to answer a few of your questions, 40,000 GBP is quite a lot and is on par with average salaries. You should be able to save quite a bit on this.

As an EU citizen you are entitled to move to the UK under freedom of movement. All you need is your Romanian passport and/or identity card, its best to have both as you can send one away for your resident card application/PR in future, whilst retaining the other for traveling.

So you shouldn't have much trouble moving to the UK from an immigration perspective.
Hi there, I have just realized I posted in the wrong place... many thanks for your info, it really helps!
Old Aug 8th 2014, 6:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

I moved your post to the Moving Back to the UK section of the forums.

Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

It might not be as clear cut as that I don't think. For some EU countries they still have to have a job lined up before they can move to the UK...
Old Aug 8th 2014, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
It might not be as clear cut as that I don't think. For some EU countries they still have to have a job lined up before they can move to the UK...
Nope. Romania had its restrictions removed from January 2014
Old Aug 9th 2014, 5:25 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, 20 odd posts about what is the average or median wage. Its irrelevant as the OP will be earning around 40k
Old Aug 10th 2014, 12:03 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear....

Didn't the OP ask if 40K was a "decent" salary for a single person in the UK? Sounds VERY decent to me. I'd certainly take it!

Originally Posted by heathrow_0808

Old Aug 10th 2014, 12:25 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh dear....

Didn't the OP ask if 40K was a "decent" salary for a single person in the UK? Sounds VERY decent to me. I'd certainly take it!
Me too!!
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

No, she might want to be careful taking advice from YOU , an obviously arrogant poster who believes that just because i'm 15 (16 in 5 months) i am not smart / dont have an opinion.
It doesnt't take a rocket scientist to know that 40K GBP (about 75k CAD) is more than enough to save and live on in the UK.
Not if you live in the London South East area, have two or three children and a non working wife ..........
Old Aug 10th 2014, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

deepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond reputedeepcpearl has a reputation beyond repute

No, she might want to be careful taking advice from YOU , an obviously arrogant poster who believes that just because i'm 15 (16 in 5 months) i am not smart / dont have an opinion.
It doesnt't take a rocket scientist to know that 40K GBP (about 75k CAD) is more than enough to save and live on in the UK.
Oh, you're 15? My mistake.

I'm sure you have an opinion, most people do, but on the subject of how much it costs to live in the UK, yours would be an uninformed opinion as you have never lived there. Indeed, you have never been self-supporting anywhere. For your information, GBP 40,000 would not be enough to live on in London.

Now go and play and leave the discussion to the grown-ups.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by deepcpearl
Oh, you're 15? My mistake.

I'm sure you have an opinion, most people do, but on the subject of how much it costs to live in the UK, yours would be an uninformed opinion as you have never lived there. Indeed, you have never been self-supporting anywhere. For your information, GBP 40,000 would not be enough to live on in London.

Now go and play and leave the discussion to the grown-ups.
Like I said, it doesn't take a naffing rocket scientist to know that 40k GBP is enough to live comfortably on. Do I need to go and quote all the posts that agree with me?

No. Its not enough in London. It wouldn't be enough in Vancouver either, for example.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Oh dear....

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not according to the link that Michael provided:

Income in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- which is the only evidence I can find in the thread (maybe you provided some evidence and I'm missing it). Mean is higher than median for all age groups in the Wikipedia source that Michael provided.

As per my earlier point, income data are invariable positively skewed. I teach statistics and use this example all the time to demonstrate the effect of skewness on estimates of central tendency (mean and median).

Just one text excerpt says "That same year [2011], the after-tax earnings of the median household was around £26,000 per annum while average net household income (after tax) stood at £38,547"

I don't see anything in there that shows median income higher than mean income for any age category or group, or for the population as a whole. Look at the table titled "Percentile points for income of individuals before tax" - the mean is higher than the median for every year.

Anyway, to get back to the OP's question, £40k is a well above average salary (guesstimate is that it is around the 80th percentile).
Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Me too!!
Here's three.
Old Aug 10th 2014, 7:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved all the off topic posts to a separate thread here...http://britishexpats.com/forum/rover...thread-840643/.

Please try to keep serious threads on topic and stop the bickering. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.