Moving with pets, or not

Old Mar 10th 2015, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Cambridgeman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving with pets, or not

Well I am in a situation and would like to hear some opinions on the matter. I will try to keep it short and stick to the facts. I will be moving back to the UK in just a few months now, how long I will stay is up in the air. It will be at least a year and could be for the rest of my life. I don't see us moving back to America but who knows.

I have two dogs and want to bring them with me. The problem is, I will not be renting a permanent place until after I get there. This could very well be a few months until I let a place.

I worry that hauling the dogs around with me, may be impractical and this will be added stress for the dogs as well as me. Yet it breaks my heart knowing I will have to give them away. I want to do what is best for them, not me.
Any suggestions,especially from people who have faced the same scenario.
Thank you
Old Mar 11th 2015, 1:26 am
Ex-pat twice?

apskinner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving with pets, or not

One thing you should be aware of is that to have the Animals considered non-commercial they have to arrive in the UK within 5days either side of your arrival. So a few months would be a problem - why not Kennel them or have them stay with friends when you arrive.

I could never be separated from my pets. They are my family, my kids. While I may put them in boarding it would be close by so I could visit them as often as possible.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

CalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond reputeCalgaryPete has a reputation beyond repute

Bring your dogs. I did. The flight was not a problem. I found a place to rent that accepted pets.

Dogs are loyal to us. We should be loyal to them.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Just want to mention to watch your timing, Ive just been looking into this myself, Air canada in particular has black out dates due to extreme weather and travel is actually quite limited, just thought Id mention it
Old Mar 13th 2015, 2:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete
Bring your dogs. I did. The flight was not a problem. I found a place to rent that accepted pets.

Same as above. Three times.
Old Mar 13th 2015, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

Moved across the pond three times with either 4 or 3 dogs. It can be done. Yes it's a little stressful but worth it.
Old Mar 15th 2015, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Isismom
Just want to mention to watch your timing, Ive just been looking into this myself, Air canada in particular has black out dates due to extreme weather and travel is actually quite limited, just thought Id mention it
travel from Canada to UK wil be with Air Canada Cargo Live, assuming you do not have hairless dogs, travel is NOT quite limited.

Travel restrictions for pets and other live animals travelling with Air Canada Cargo

But not cheap either - call them and get a quote so that you know what to expect.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Isismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud ofIsismom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wombat7
travel from Canada to UK wil be with Air Canada Cargo Live, assuming you do not have hairless dogs, travel is NOT quite limited.

Travel restrictions for pets and other live animals travelling with Air Canada Cargo

But not cheap either - call them and get a quote so that you know what to expect.
It is if you want them in the hold on the same plane as you, cargo is different, having flown 4 large dogs cargo I would try to avoid it if I could hence in my case I plan on having the dog in the hold and the cat under my seat, cheaper and better for everyone, you can take up to 2 pets on your flight
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryPete

Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Cambridgeman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who replied. I am taking them with me
Old Mar 16th 2015, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I am so happy to hear you are taking them with you! I am involved in animal rescue and so so many sad stories. Puppies being aborted etc.. Can be very sad but stuff like this makes my day. Good for you.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

It is if you want them in the hold on the same plane as you, cargo is different, having flown 4 large dogs cargo I would try to avoid it if I could hence in my case I plan on having the dog in the hold and the cat under my seat, cheaper and better for everyone, you can take up to 2 pets on your flight
Going to the UK from Canada, all pets go in the hold, cats and dogs. Air Canada Cargo Live handles things, there are few blackouts and it is not inexpensive.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Wombat7
Going to the UK from Canada, all pets go in the hold, cats and dogs. Air Canada Cargo Live handles things, there are few blackouts and it is not inexpensive.
Pets in the cabin - aircanada.com

You can fly into manchester on a 767, its only 777 thats not allowing in cabin or in hold, I have a small dog and small cat, this is much less stressful as one has a heart condition, yes air cargo is more flexible but I feel this info should be included on thread as it is relevant and may help someone else
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:04 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Pets in the cabin - aircanada.com

You can fly into manchester on a 767, its only 777 thats not allowing in cabin or in hold, I have a small dog and small cat, this is much less stressful as one has a heart condition, yes air cargo is more flexible but I feel this info should be included on thread as it is relevant and may help someone else
I don't see where the link says anything about bringing a pet into the UK as cabin baggage.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I don't see where the link says anything about bringing a pet into the UK as cabin baggage.
Pets in the baggage compartment - aircanada.com

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.