Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving pets Canada to uk via europe

Moving pets Canada to uk via europe

Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving pets Canada to uk via europe

I posted a while ago but now I have a new query hence new post.

It's looking to be $2-3k to fly 2 cats Calgary to London.

Looking at the numbers, we could fly to Europe (Amsterdam or Paris) for much cheaper with the cats as checked baggage and then drive/ferry to the uk. Much more complicated but much much cheaper.

Has anyone done this, anything we need to be aware of? Pitfalls?
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:00 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving pets Canada to uk via europe

Why is it costing so much? Have you tried Air Transat?

Actually, I'm amending this post, because it cost us $2176 in '14, so your figure sounds about right.

Last edited by Editha; Mar 11th 2017 at 11:06 am.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Why is it costing so much? Have you tried Air Transat?

Actually, I'm amending this post, because it cost us $2176 in '14, so your figure sounds about right.
Hi,

We can fly them as checked baggage to Europe which is only a couple of hundred dollars each. Uk won't allow them in as checked baggage and must use an approved transport carrier - the airlines won't touch them without an agency (as per conversations with air transat, air Canada and British airways)
Old Mar 11th 2017, 2:28 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I know there have been other people who have done this, either from Canada or the USA. But, I don't remember any feedback on how it went.

I am a bit sceptical about how much you'll save once you've factored in car hire and ferry charges, but I guess you've done the sums.

You are also lengthening the duration of your journey from eight and a half hours to more like 16.

Last edited by Editha; Mar 11th 2017 at 2:33 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure who you got your quote from but we have been quoted $760 for our 2 cats sharing a cat crate from Toronto to Manchester in June this year. That is with Air Transat but the quote was from Sea Air Freight in Ontario. I too thought about the via Europe route but it is a long time for a cat to be in a crate unless the kitty was leash trained.

EDIT: a friend of mine also got a quote for her 2 kittys travelling in separate crates from Toronto to Gatwick September 2017 and she was quoted $1100 again that is with Air Transat via Sea Air Freight. Hope that helps

Last edited by farjojo71; Mar 12th 2017 at 11:58 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

That makes the trip much too long and stressful for the cats
Old Mar 13th 2017, 9:04 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Not sure who you got your quote from but we have been quoted $760 for our 2 cats sharing a cat crate from Toronto to Manchester in June this year. That is with Air Transat but the quote was from Sea Air Freight in Ontario. I too thought about the via Europe route but it is a long time for a cat to be in a crate unless the kitty was leash trained.

EDIT: a friend of mine also got a quote for her 2 kittys travelling in separate crates from Toronto to Gatwick September 2017 and she was quoted $1100 again that is with Air Transat via Sea Air Freight. Hope that helps
I'm surprised Air Transat is allowing you to put 2 cats in one crate. It isn't recommended, and I didn't think they allowed it.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 12:42 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by farjojo71

The 2,000 miles between Calgary and Toronto may explain the price difference.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm surprised Air Transat is allowing you to put 2 cats in one crate. It isn't recommended, and I didn't think they allowed it.
Most airlines allow up to 2 cats of similar size in the same crate. I did it when we moved to Canada in 2010 with Air Transat and again last year with Westjet from Calgary to Toronto so it is not a new thing.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

I have just asked another friend who is returning to the UK with her animals this summer and the price she has been quoted for Air Transat with 2 small dogs and 1 cat is $2370, that is from Calgary to Gatwick in June.
Old Mar 18th 2017, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bert07
I posted a while ago but now I have a new query hence new post.

It's looking to be $2-3k to fly 2 cats Calgary to London.

Looking at the numbers, we could fly to Europe (Amsterdam or Paris) for much cheaper with the cats as checked baggage and then drive/ferry to the uk. Much more complicated but much much cheaper.

Has anyone done this, anything we need to be aware of? Pitfalls?
It might be too long for the cats, but depends on their temperaments, and difficult with luggage and two cat crates to transit around or hire cars. You may need a soft carrier on board plane and a hard one for second part of journey. I think paris would be a nightmare. Think Amsterdam as nearer Calais so better. I do not know if you can take a hire car across the channel in any case.

There is a lot of good info on a site called seat61 com . ( search dogs by train)
This guy is an expert on train travel in europe with dog/pets( applies to cats too) regarding going from calais to uk. he mentions a folfkestone taxi firm that will collect you at calais and go on eurostar (pets have to stay in car). Foot passengers on ferry cannot take pets, he says.
the relevant link on his pages is: scrolldown past ads.

How to travel with a dog by train between the UK and France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Germany, Austria or anywhere else in Europe...

with cats you need an ISO standard readable chip ( europe) plus their passport and relevant rabies shot after chip, I think in USA/canada? they have different chips so then you need to bring your own scanner. you may also need worming treatment by vet at a certain date prior to Europe/UK entry. best to check with a pet relocation company first.