Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving money back to the UK

Moving money back to the UK

Old Dec 26th 2017, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving money back to the UK

People like to pretend to themselves and to others that they are in control. Hence the obsession with exchange rates and transfer costs.
Old Dec 26th 2017, 10:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
People like to pretend to themselves and to others that they are in control. Hence the obsession with exchange rates and transfer costs.
An AU$ to GBP transaction I made fairly recently - I compared, as I always do, the FX rates and fees of my bank and a FX broker respectively. It took about 2 minutes to do. By choosing the broker, £510 more landed in my UK bank account than would have if I'd used my bank. I wouldn't call that an obsession, I'd call it eminently sensible
Old Dec 31st 2017, 3:31 am
Banned

Ozziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond reputeOzziechris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
When we have moved over the years we just use the exchange rate of the day, it is what it is. When we moved back to the UK 5 or so years ago it was way down around $1.40ish, pure chance. We just transferred bank account to bank account and costs were minimal.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 4:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

For those who think it doesn't matter whether you use a bank or a FX broker to transfer funds, have a look at this. The first quote is from the FX broker I use. The second is from my bank. The quotes were obtained within 2 minutes of each other.

Quote Details
You're Transferring: AUD 300,000.00
Recipient Getting: GBP 171,480.00
Rate: AUD/GBP 0.5716

I want to
Convert
AUD 300000
Into
GBP 164160
Exchange rate: 1 AUD = 0.54720 GBP

I wonder if those who 'pooh pooh' doing a bit of basic research into FX rates and transfer methods would be happy to drop £7,320 on the above transaction. Personally, I think it's a great reward for a few minutes of my time.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 7:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
For those who think it doesn't matter whether you use a bank or a FX broker to transfer funds, have a look at this. The first quote is from the FX broker I use. The second is from my bank. The quotes were obtained within 2 minutes of each other.

Quote Details
You're Transferring: AUD 300,000.00
Recipient Getting: GBP 171,480.00
Rate: AUD/GBP 0.5716

I want to
Convert
AUD 300000
Into
GBP 164160
Exchange rate: 1 AUD = 0.54720 GBP

I wonder if those who 'pooh pooh' doing a bit of basic research into FX rates and transfer methods would be happy to drop £7,320 on the above transaction. Personally, I think it's a great reward for a few minutes of my time.
You missed my point. I've no problem with shopping around for the best exchange rate on a particular date. But if you want to spend months worrying about transferring a large amount by waiting for "favourable" rates, go ahead. That part is the lottery.

We used to have a member who lived in Wassaga Beach ON and was an independent FX trader. He disappeared in 2009.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 10:41 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You missed my point. I've no problem with shopping around for the best exchange rate on a particular date. But if you want to spend months worrying about transferring a large amount by waiting for "favourable" rates, go ahead. That part is the lottery.

We used to have a member who lived in Wassaga Beach ON and was an independent FX trader. He disappeared in 2009.
I wasn't particularly addressing any of your points Novo, but I do see what you mean. The first and last time I worried about when to transfer, rather than who with, was the night of the Brexit vote. I was due to make a rather large transfer and bought into the 'plummeting pound' hype. Stayed up all night monitoring the exchange rate and sent my transfer at around 4am in the morning, congratulating myself all the way up the stairs to bed that I was bound to have chosen the time when the pound was weakest.

Woke up the next morning and found out how wrong I was Serves myself right and that cured me, now I exhange when I need to.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 12:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wasn't particularly addressing any of your points Novo, but I do see what you mean.

Woke up the next morning and found out how wrong I was Serves myself right and that cured me, now I exhange when I need to.
Me too. Full sail ahead and damn the consequences.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 1:53 am
Ex-pat twice?

apskinner is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been using Halo Financial for nearly 10 yrs, they were 5th on that list of brokers in the original link.

You can set rates of exchange up to 6 months in advance and not have to worry about the fluctuation in rates say while your legals are ongoing on the house sale, of course these rates may be better or worse when the day comes to move the funds BUT you know exactly what you are getting.

You can also do regular payments if for example you are continuing to make payments in one country for things like loans, school fees etc. They don't charge a fee on any transfer over £5k and anything under is £15. Regular payment agreements have no fees.

The biggest challenge I had in moving money from TD Canada to the UK was that there is always an intermediary used by the sending bank which adds fees so unless you specifcy all fees to be paid at source you may find you didn't receive what you expected, thats not Halo's fault, whenever I sent money to Canada I always got what I sent (and managed to negotiate with TD to refund the Wire Fee of $17.50).

I sent some money recently to top up my Cad bank account and it was the best rate I could get from anywhere on that date, but of course sometimes you will find better rates with a different broker.

Hope my experience helps you.
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 2:15 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by apskinner
I've been using Halo Financial for nearly 10 yrs, they were 5th on that list of brokers in the original link.

You can set rates of exchange up to 6 months in advance and not have to worry about the fluctuation in rates say while your legals are ongoing on the house sale, of course these rates may be better or worse when the day comes to move the funds BUT you know exactly what you are getting.

You can also do regular payments if for example you are continuing to make payments in one country for things like loans, school fees etc. They don't charge a fee on any transfer over £5k and anything under is £15. Regular payment agreements have no fees.

The biggest challenge I had in moving money from TD Canada to the UK was that there is always an intermediary used by the sending bank which adds fees so unless you specifcy all fees to be paid at source you may find you didn't receive what you expected, thats not Halo's fault, whenever I sent money to Canada I always got what I sent (and managed to negotiate with TD to refund the Wire Fee of $17.50).

I sent some money recently to top up my Cad bank account and it was the best rate I could get from anywhere on that date, but of course sometimes you will find better rates with a different broker.

Hope my experience helps you.
Most of the reputable FX brokers offer the same terms as those you've described. It's a good idea to compare different brokers as you say, in my experience a broker will always beat a bank's rates.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 4:59 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
I'm sure this has been asked a billion times but I can't find any threads of it and it would be good for a really up to date account.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations/experience on companies on moving a large sum of money back to the UK (from house sale) that have competitive exchange rates and are SAFE. We are looking to move it from New Zealand but most companies are international. Could be best to just go through our bank to my UK bank account, but it would be good to know good alternatives that could get us better rates.

Much appreciated
I was a Financial Planner for over a decade and built up good relationships with two companies who can help with this - I recommended them to clients for years and used them myself to move money safely and at lower costs than the banks in most cases.

If you'd like an introduction to my contacts feel free to drop me a PM.

N.
Old Jan 6th 2018, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BtotheR
We are looking to move it from New Zealand but most companies are international.
This tends to be an insurmountable problem with international currency exchange companies.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I have a HSBC UK bank account. Is it worth opening up an international HSBC account ( I'm in the US ) to transfer around $400k ( house sale ) or just use XE or transferwise? Also which would would be best for regular monthly payments under $10k.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I have a HSBC UK bank account. Is it worth opening up an international HSBC account ( I'm in the US ) to transfer around $400k ( house sale ) or just use XE or transferwise? Also which would would be best for regular monthly payments under $10k.
I live in England and have a US and UK HSBC account, and the bulk of my income is paid into my US account. It is extremely easy to move money between the 2 accounts but it is still cheaper to use something like TransferWise for amounts up to $15k. However for the big sums I moved over to buy a house I used the HSBC to HSBC method as the price is competitive at sums over $100k.
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we use Ozforex, I always phone and see the current rates and then transfer money from Aus to the Uk and visa versa, we do not have any problems and have used this company for years they also usually have the best rates as I do still phone around. Good luck with everything
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I live in England and have a US and UK HSBC account, and the bulk of my income is paid into my US account. It is extremely easy to move money between the 2 accounts but it is still cheaper to use something like TransferWise for amounts up to $15k. However for the big sums I moved over to buy a house I used the HSBC to HSBC method as the price is competitive at sums over $100k.
Many thanks.

Can I ask what type of US HSBC account you have? From what I've read and understand you need a premium account, which has a minimum deposit of $100k or a S200 fee to open the account. I could, not for the first time, be reading it all wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.