Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving home solo - CA to somerset, removals recommendations?

moving home solo - CA to somerset, removals recommendations?

Old May 15th 2012, 6:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: moving home solo - CA to somerset, removals recommendations?

Check out

http://www.movingscam.com

there is an international section and messageboards.

(BTW, when we moved furniture from our home in New Jersey to Singapore three years ago, we used this company:

http://www.champmove.com/index.asp and I highly recommend them.

I was pleased when I heard that their handling agents in Singapore are KC Dat (Asian Tigers) as we used them when we originally moved from Singapore to New Jersey and they too are excellent.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: moving home solo - CA to somerset, removals recommendations?

To Moonfairy:

Has your ex-spouse given his permission (preferably written and notarised) for your child to leave the USA?

I know a woman who lives in San Francisco. Her marriage ended when she found out that her spouse was having an affair with their live-in Vietnamese nanny who is 20 years younger. Actually he still lives with the nanny.... Anyway, she was offered a job in New York City, but he got the Court to agree that their daughter must not reside out of the State of California, so she turned down the job offer.
Old May 26th 2012, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

moonfairy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: moving home solo - CA to somerset, removals recommendations?

Originally Posted by Englishmum
To Moonfairy:

Has your ex-spouse given his permission (preferably written and notarised) for your child to leave the USA?

I know a woman who lives in San Francisco. Her marriage ended when she found out that her spouse was having an affair with their live-in Vietnamese nanny who is 20 years younger. Actually he still lives with the nanny.... Anyway, she was offered a job in New York City, but he got the Court to agree that their daughter must not reside out of the State of California, so she turned down the job offer.
yes he gave his permission. It is written in our settlement agreement. It's incredibly difficult however and I wish I'd never married him or moved to US in the first place - however if I hadn't, I wouldn't have my lovely child....
Old May 26th 2012, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Oh I had no problems with Schumacher. Everything arrived totally intact and aside from me having to chase up paperwork for them, they were really on the ball about getting my stuff to me, so I'd recommend them.
Old May 26th 2012, 7:50 pm
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonfairy
Oh I had no problems with Schumacher. Everything arrived totally intact and aside from me having to chase up paperwork for them, they were really on the ball about getting my stuff to me, so I'd recommend them.
Are you back in Somerset, Moonfairy? I was there a few weeks ago, and am now feeling rather homesick for it all!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Hi, moving back to the UK in 3 weeks and going round in circles with shipping too. Probably got about 150-175 cu ft of boxed/bagged personal belongings, no furniture. Originally got a UBox from Upakweship, but when it was delivered it was way smaller than I expected. Keen to get a pod like container, but can't find many that ship USA to UK, and don't really have enough for a 20 foot container (or the funds to pay for it!!).

Has anyone used UHauls Ubox? It holds about 200 cu ft, but their initial quote of $2600 did not seem to include a lot of charges, still awaiting an all inclusove fee. Are there any other companies which do affordable pod like containers to the UK?

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 13th 2012, 8:01 am
Just Joined

hello - sorry no clue about Uhaul but my schumacher shipping cost under 1700 dollars total for about 160 cubic feet. Not sure if that helps.

Yes, I'm back in somerset and absolutely loving it. I get a bit of a pang for the States sometimes but most of the time I feel so relieved to be home and here for the Olympics too!

It's taken a good while to adjust though. I still feel a bit 'alien' having lived in the US for so long.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Welcome back! I grew up in Smerset until I was 18, but returning to Manchester. With Schmacher was it your own container or separate boxes?
Thanks