Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving cats without using an agent?

Moving cats without using an agent?

Old Apr 4th 2016, 8:25 am
Just Joined

louisetr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving cats without using an agent?

I'm moving from Bangkok to the UK in late May with my 3 cats. They have already been microchipped, had their rabies jabs and their blood test results from a UK lab have just come back. So far, so good. I think I can manage the rest of the paperwork at this end without an agent. What about at Heathrow? Does anyone have experience of collecting their pet at that end without using an agent? If so, would you recommend it? What do they actually do? Or do they just make it too difficult for you to do it yourself? Advice please! Thanks.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving cats without using an agent?

someone with more knowledge will be along I'm sure, but from what I recall from other threads on here you have to go to the animal centre at Heathrow to collect your pets. Presumably they check all the paperwork etc before you are allowed to take your pet.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 11:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisetr
I'm moving from Bangkok to the UK in late May with my 3 cats. They have already been microchipped, had their rabies jabs and their blood test results from a UK lab have just come back. So far, so good. I think I can manage the rest of the paperwork at this end without an agent. What about at Heathrow? Does anyone have experience of collecting their pet at that end without using an agent? If so, would you recommend it? What do they actually do? Or do they just make it too difficult for you to do it yourself? Advice please! Thanks.
Welcome to BE.

Someone will probably be along shortly to help you.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling you can't import animals into the uk without an agent - check on the uk import webpage it will clearly tell you what you can/can't do. It might just be that you need the agent to book the flight and you can do the paperwork, speaking with a couple of airlines will help.

Last time I looked, You could have animals leave the U.K. Arranged yourself but coming in they can't be arranged yourself but i don't know of that has changed recently.

And yes, the agent doesn't really do anything more than you already did!
Old Apr 4th 2016, 4:27 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to have an agent, but the paperwork does have to be correct, so make sure you know what you are doing. Check with the airline for their requirements. You will have to supply containers for the cats that are the right size (one each). The airline will tell you what size to use.

Collection at the animal centre at the airport is straightforward.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

bert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond reputebert07 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/travel-outside-the-eu

This should summarize it for you - you must use an approved pet transporter but hey will usually do a reduced price if you have/will do all the paperwork yourself.
Old Apr 4th 2016, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to use an agent, when we moved back from Bermuda there were no agents so we had to do it ourselves.

Not something I recommend. It was stressful beyond believe and then to make matters even worse, the cats were impounded at Gatwick and held at a cost of £20 an hour whilst we sorted something out. The problem was one of the papers, which we had, was not sent with the crate and the airline staff told us it wasn't required when we handed them over. I am sure that would not have happened with an agent.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 1:05 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing more research myself since my original post, which I'll write about here to help anyone else who's in the same position....

It seems quite straight forward doing the work at this end (where I am now) by myself, so I don't think I'll bother with an agent here. However, at the other end (Heathrow) the key things that the agents do are this: collect the pet/s from the plane, clear them through customs and take them to the Animal Reception Centre where they and their paperwork are checked. The owner collects them after that. It IS possible for the owner to do the job of the agent, but the airport authorities still charge large fees, currently totalling £320!! I've had a quote from an agent who will do it for me for £430. So, they are making £110. Not bad really. I'm waiting for other quotes. Agents are not allowed to say that your paperwork is correct, that is your responsibility, but some offer to look at it for you and they obviously know what you need as they process these papers every day, so I'd choose an agent who is prepared to do this. Oh the stress! Can't wait to wake up in England and know that it's all over!!
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:33 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on where you are travelling from. If it is within the EU, you do not need an agent. We have just moved to the UK from Australia and you must have an agent. This is the official requirements:

3. Travel from unlisted countries outside the EU

You must check the individual country rules if you travel with your pet to a non-EU country. These can be different to the EU pet travel rules.

When you enter or return to the UK from an unlisted country, your pet must meet the EU entry requirements.

1.Your pet must be microchipped. This must be done before they get a rabies vaccination.

2.Your pet must have been vaccinated against rabies. The day of vaccination counts as day 0 and not day 1.

3.Your pet will also have to get a blood test to show that the vaccination was successful. The blood sample for the test must be taken at least 30 days after the vaccination.

4.Your pet must wait 3 calendar months from the date the blood sample was taken before you can travel with your pet. You don’t have to wait 3 months if your pet has an EU pet passport and its vaccination and blood test were done in the EU and recorded in the pet passport.

5.Your pet will need a third-country official veterinary certificate if it was prepared for travel in a non-EU country.

6.Fill in a declaration confirming that you aren’t going to sell or transfer the ownership of your pet.

7.Dogs must have had a tapeworm treatment no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you arrive in the UK.

8.You must use an approved transport company and an approved route.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/t...outside-the-eu

However, there are variations to this that I still do t understand. For example, we did not need a blood test.

Also, most airlines wont transport without an agent.

The agent fees are actually very reasonable.

At the Heathrow end, it works like this:
The animals are transferred from the plane to the ARC by the ground staff.

They are kept at the ARC for about 3 hours after arriving. This is while their paper work and things are sorted and they are given a once over.

You need to take all the paperwork from the other end with you.

You can call ahead to check when they are likely to be released, but be aware it is a guide - we called at 6:30pm as he had landed at 6pm. They said we should be able to collect at 7:30. We went down, but didn't actually get him till nearly 11pm.

When it is your turn, they will ask for the paper work and take it away for checking then 15 minutes later they will bring him out.

The ARC has a decent waiting area with vending machines and free tea / coffee / water.

The staff are very nice - when our little fella was due to come out, they asked for his lead. But when he came out he was being carried. The staff member said he didn't want to put his lead on because he wanted to give him one last cuddle.

However, be aware they are VERY strict with the paper work - there was a couple there whose paper work had been stamped badly and they were refusing to release. Failure will result in potentially the animal being destroyed.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

There are also a million other little rules and things that the airlines impose or change. Here are some examples.

If you are not on the same flight, you must travel within 5 days.

Some airlines will insist on a contact in the UK who they will call to ensure there is someone there to collect the animal in your absence.

Some airlines will not transport certain breeds or certain breeds at certain times of year. This can also change rapidly. We were booked to fly our fella with Malaysian, then 4 days before he was due to fly, they stopped all animal transport. They re started 2 days later, with the rule they would no longer fly Chihuahuas - which ours is. So, he had to be changed to Emirates.

Some airports will not accept animals from the public - most be through an agent and again the rules seem to change a lot.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:47 am
Just Joined

Thanks again. My three will be the most valuable - or rather expensive - street cats in Essex by the time I get them home!! Like all of you, I will be an expert by the time I'm finished. I'm flying from Bangkok, on Thai (unless the rules change). Hopefully all will go smoothly...
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:53 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Our cats came through Gatwick, not Heathrow. Processing took less than an hour. But, I've been told Gatwick is quicker than Heathrow.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 6:56 am
Just Joined

Lucky you! Heathrow is not my favourite place, but I'm coming from Thailand, so I don't have much choice.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 7:10 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Poor you! Three hours is a very long time to wait after a long-haul flight.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

They all now have to go through Heathrow anyway. Changed it very recently. Even if they are going to other cities, the animal has to go via Heathrow unless coming from Europe.

We didn't find it as crazy expensive as I had dreaded. It goes on the size of the crate. Ours was able to travel in the smallest crate - same a an average cat. From Australia is came in at AUS$2000 including agents fees. That's about £1000.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.