Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving cats without using an agent?

Moving cats without using an agent?

Old Apr 5th 2016, 5:57 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving cats without using an agent?

We came from Canada in 2014, and went to Gatwick. The change must be since then.
Old Apr 5th 2016, 9:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
They all now have to go through Heathrow anyway. Changed it very recently. Even if they are going to other cities, the animal has to go via Heathrow unless coming from Europe.

We didn't find it as crazy expensive as I had dreaded. It goes on the size of the crate. Ours was able to travel in the smallest crate - same a an average cat. From Australia is came in at AUS$2000 including agents fees. That's about £1000.
When did that rule come in? We flew our goldie over in November 2015 - Perth - Abu Dhabi - Manchester.

EDIT: I had a look, there are approved routes, depending on which airline you fly with. See here for the latest list (Feb 2016) https://www.gov.uk/government/public...vement-of-pets

As well as Heathrow and Gatwick, many airlines fly pets to other UK cities without going through a London airport, eg Glasgow, Manchester, Bristol, Doncaster, Edinburgh

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Apr 5th 2016 at 9:50 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:45 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

According to Expedia, it is possible to fly to Gatwick coming from Bangkok. It is just a question of which airline you choose. If it is really the case that you might have to wait 3 hours to pick up the cats from Heathrow, I think it is an option worth exploring.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 7:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by louisetr
Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing more research myself since my original post, which I'll write about here to help anyone else who's in the same position....
That would be very kind of you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of BE.

I hope yo and your felines settle well into the UK.

My own cat is now nearly 18 years old and he will always remain my heart and soul.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 8:11 am
Just Joined

louisetr is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh - We cat lovers are special lot! My eldest ever lived to be almost 23! This latest lot were born on the building site next to my house 2 summers ago. 7 kittens in all! I've now found homes for the other 4, so these 3 are embarking on an Awfully Big Adventure with me! Latest update: I've asked for quotes from several companies that are agents at Heathrow. Most sent an automatic reply, one responded in person with a very friendly email. Rates differ between the companies (a good thing) - so shop around. I found the names and emails on the Defra website. Haven't committed to a company yet, but the one who replied in person appear to be the cheapest and they are very helpful.
Old Apr 6th 2016, 6:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

One of our cats is about 23 (we got her from a shelter, so can't be sure). She is arthritic, but she still seems to enjoy life, provided she gets enough tuna.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 6:04 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bert07
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad/travel-outside-the-eu

This should summarize it for you - you must use an approved pet transporter but hey will usually do a reduced price if you have/will do all the paperwork yourself.
An 'approved pet transporter' isn't the same as an agent. The transporter is the airline/ferry/train.

The agent is the company who books and facilitates the travel. Depending on the package you buy, they may book tickets, arrange all or some paperwork, transport your pet to the airport, keep them in kennels before or after the trip.

You don't have to use an agent to arrange your pet's travel into the UK. It's up to the airline. Many airlines allow you to book directly. Some do require you use an agent. This varies by route, too; for example, last I checked, BA lets you fly animals into the UK without an agent, but insisted you used one for any flights out.

You 'must use an approved transporter and route' means you can't turn up in your own boat or private plane (or any old airline), and only some UK airports are authorised to accept and process animals.

Originally Posted by louisetr
at the other end (Heathrow) the key things that the agents do are this: collect the pet/s from the plane, clear them through customs and take them to the Animal Reception Centre where they and their paperwork are checked. The owner collects them after that. It IS possible for the owner to do the job of the agent, but the airport authorities still charge large fees, currently totalling £320!! I've had a quote from an agent who will do it for me for £430. So, they are making £110. Not bad really. I'm waiting for other quotes. Agents are not allowed to say that your paperwork is correct, that is your responsibility, but some offer to look at it for you and they obviously know what you need as they process these papers every day, so I'd choose an agent who is prepared to do this. Oh the stress!
Aren't all animal arrivals at Heathrow handled by James Cargo? They are the main (only?) company, AFAIK, who are authorised to be onsite, take the animals off the plane, and transport them to the ARC (Animal Reception Centre). I thought the airport clearance fee included this service? So I'm not really sure what you'd be paying another £110 for? If in doubt, ask the ARC. They're really helpful.

Also, I've never heard that agents 'aren't allowed to say that your paperwork is correct'. If you're paying them to deal with the paperwork, it should be correct, and mistakes should be their liability. But if they're just offering to check over it for free, as a courtesy, then fair enough it's your responsibility.
Old Apr 7th 2016, 7:03 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
An 'approved pet transporter' isn't the same as an agent. The transporter is the airline/ferry/train.

The agent is the company who books and facilitates the travel. Depending on the package you buy, they may book tickets, arrange all or some paperwork, transport your pet to the airport, keep them in kennels before or after the trip.

You don't have to use an agent to arrange your pet's travel into the UK. It's up to the airline. Many airlines allow you to book directly. Some do require you use an agent. This varies by route, too; for example, last I checked, BA lets you fly animals into the UK without an agent, but insisted you used one for any flights out.

You 'must use an approved transporter and route' means you can't turn up in your own boat or private plane (or any old airline), and only some UK airports are authorised to accept and process animals.

Aren't all animal arrivals at Heathrow handled by James Cargo? They are the main (only?) company, AFAIK, who are authorised to be onsite, take the animals off the plane, and transport them to the ARC (Animal Reception Centre). I thought the airport clearance fee included this service? So I'm not really sure what you'd be paying another £110 for? If in doubt, ask the ARC. They're really helpful.

Also, I've never heard that agents 'aren't allowed to say that your paperwork is correct'. If you're paying them to deal with the paperwork, it should be correct, and mistakes should be their liability. But if they're just offering to check over it for free, as a courtesy, then fair enough it's your responsibility.