Moving back from the US

Old Mar 21st 2008, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Irishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to all
Default Moving back from the US

We are thinking of moving back to ireland from the US. My 2 year greencard is up for renewal in October and then i can apply for a 10 year card. My wife is american so my question is if we decided to move back what are the implications. Would i be allowed back in the states again. Would it be frowned apon that we decided to move back. My wifes family are still here.

We are looking to move back for personal and financial reasons as we have a baby now. Health insurance and education just cost so much here and where we live is just so expensive.

Last edited by Irishdude; Mar 21st 2008 at 4:17 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back from the US

Originally Posted by Irishdude
We are thinking of moving back to ireland from the US. My 2 year greencard is up for renewal in October and then i can apply for a 10 year card. My wife is american so my question is if we decided to move back what are the implications. Would i be allowed back in the states again. Would it be frowned apon that we decided to move back. My wifes family are still here.

We are looking to move back for personal and financial reasons as we have a baby now. Health insurance and education just cost so much here and where we live is just so expensive.
If you move back to Ireland and you are out over a year without getting the form before you go allowing you to return within 2 years of leaving, or over 2 years anyway you will be deemed to have given up your Permanent Residence status.

If you wanted to return to the US to live at some time you would have to go through the visa process again.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I-131 re-entry permit
Old Mar 21st 2008, 6:47 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

or wait a year, get citizenship, and then go back.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:26 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you would like the option to freely/easily move back to the United States in future then U.S. citizenship is the only way.

Why not wait to get that? Ireland isn't going anywhere, and the latest reports are that the economy there isn't so good right now.

Have you considered relocation to somewhere else in the U.S. or even whether another country (such as the United Kingdom, Canada or Australia) may suit you?

If you want to ask about immigration to Ireland (or the U.K.) for your American spouse, try: http://www.immigrationboards.com/
Your child presumably has an Irish passport so won't need a visa.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 3:38 am
Just Joined

Oxo_cube will become famous soon enoughOxo_cube will become famous soon enough

If you can wait, stay and get your citizenship, then move back. That's what I did. Soooo much easier than applying all over again.

Dave
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with many of the other posters. It looks like you are a year and a half away from being able to apply for citizenship and hopefully you would get it within a year of that.

That way if you ever wanted to return you would have no issues doing so.

However, I do realise how if you are in a situation where you want to leave, the thought of sticking out a couple of years can seem a lifetime. I keep on telling myself to hang out for another 5 years to get my citizenship, but somedays 5 years doesn't seem possible.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Irishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to allIrishdude is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies,

I know the smart thing is to stay and get my citizenship. Unless we move to a different part of the states we cant stay here purely for financial reasons. My wifes family are based here in MA and ME so moving to a different part of the country is out of the question sadly
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:51 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

My wifes family are based here in MA and ME so moving to a different part of the country is out of the question sadly
I'm not sure I understand how that's relevant. I mean, you're contemplating moving back to Ireland . . . . . so how can living in another state be a problem?
Old Mar 26th 2008, 11:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies,

I know the smart thing is to stay and get my citizenship. Unless we move to a different part of the states we cant stay here purely for financial reasons. My wifes family are based here in MA and ME so moving to a different part of the country is out of the question sadly
It's not clear how you will be better off moving to Ireland? Have you checked the cost of real estate in Ireland and the exchange rate of the Euro vs the dollar is awful from the point of view of those returning. Even if you mean Northern Ireland (U.K., sterling area), the picture is more or less the same.

Why not stay and get your U.S. citizenship, and then maybe look to eastern Canada (eg New Brunswick or Nova Scotia?). With U.S. passports, migration to Canada becomes a little easier.

Incidentally, in what way is "education" expensive? I thought public education in the United States is government provided.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

If it was up to me i would do something like that but unfortunately my wife isnt up for moving to a different part of the country. Her family are here even if its just her parents and sister. My preferences would be either texas, CT, RI or NY. Been to texas and had a blast. The only place she would consider is ireland because we have lots of family and friends there from her time when she lived there for a few years. I know housing is alot more expensive there, we have that covered as we own a 3 bedroom house.Things dont seem as bad there right now. So who knows. I was just looking for an opinion on what would happen if we did move back. We havent decided what to do yet, keeping all options open. Thanks again.