Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK from USA

Moving back to UK from USA

Old Nov 16th 2004, 3:49 pm
North Carolina layabout

Bendex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK from USA

Hi,

Has anyone done this, and if so roughly what was the cost of shipping your container ?

Cost of shipping pets ? Interested in anyone that has done this.....

I have applied to companies for quotes, but in the meantime nothing beats finding out how other peoples experiences compare.

At this point we wouldn't know where in the UK we'd even be heading to, I'm just trying to cover our bases. We're in the UK, and applying to immigrate to Canada.....but it looks like my husband may soon be laid off, so we would have to come back to UK and reapply to Canada from there (what a palava!)...or just settle down in Blighty.

Any advice / insights would be appreciated......
Old Nov 16th 2004, 7:09 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from USA

Knew someone once who shipped his car from the US to the UK. One benefit was: whatever he could stuff in the car went for free.
Old Nov 16th 2004, 8:43 pm
North Carolina layabout

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Knew someone once who shipped his car from the US to the UK. One benefit was: whatever he could stuff in the car went for free.
Do you know what that cost him (approx) ?

Any info would be useful at this point....
Old Nov 16th 2004, 9:14 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tempted to say something around $2,500, but since it was ten years ago I'm not too sure. It was from the East coast (shipping a car from the left coast is, as you might imagine, prohibitively expensive).
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

housey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
My family returned to the UK a couple of months ago - we still don't know if its where we'll end up long term, but here we are for now (actually also thinking of Canada, but that's another story).
We brought one car over, cost us $700 from Baltimore to Liverpool and an extra 37pounds to clear the docks. There's a great site that was v helpful - www.import-car.info and we used one of the companies recommended (Allworld) based in Boston. As for containers, the typical quotes we got were around $2500 for a 40ft container, but as our furniture is still there, we only shipped some boxes. We used APX who were competitively priced and reliable(www.discount-shipping.net) As for one-way flights, by far the best deal was through a company called autoeurope.com.
Look back a few months to see some of Honeymonmmy's advice, I got great help from her experience.
Good luck - been there, done it and glad it's over!
Housey
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bendex
We're in the UK, and applying to immigrate to Canada.....but it looks like my husband may soon be laid off, so we would have to come back to UK and reapply to Canada from there (what a palava!)...or just settle down in Blighty.
Do you mean you're in the US?

Is there a reason why you can't stay there while you apply to Canada (eg you are only on H1-B status?)

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:50 pm
North Carolina layabout

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you mean you're in the US?

Is there a reason why you can't stay there while you apply to Canada (eg you are only on H1-B status?)

Jeremy

Sorry....yes I meant US. I'm on H4 and my husband is on H1B which is why we wouldn't be able to stay if he loses his job. It's unlikely someone else would hire him as we've already been here 4 years, so not a lot of renewal time left on the visa........
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:54 pm
North Carolina layabout

Originally Posted by housey
Hi
My family returned to the UK a couple of months ago - we still don't know if its where we'll end up long term, but here we are for now (actually also thinking of Canada, but that's another story).
We brought one car over, cost us $700 from Baltimore to Liverpool and an extra 37pounds to clear the docks. There's a great site that was v helpful - www.import-car.info and we used one of the companies recommended (Allworld) based in Boston. As for containers, the typical quotes we got were around $2500 for a 40ft container, but as our furniture is still there, we only shipped some boxes. We used APX who were competitively priced and reliable(www.discount-shipping.net) As for one-way flights, by far the best deal was through a company called autoeurope.com.
Look back a few months to see some of Honeymonmmy's advice, I got great help from her experience.
Good luck - been there, done it and glad it's over!
Housey

Thank you so much for the useful links and info. It puts my mind at ease to just be collecting the data and preparing our dogs, so we won't be in such a panic if it happens !