Moving Back to UK from SA

Old Aug 26th 2015, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Mary58 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving Back to UK from SA

HI Brummiewife, I relocated back to the UK from SA in January. I used Baileys International as I have had dealings with them over the past 15 years. They were brilliant, efficient, reasonably priced, they cover the whole of SA so look them up. I converted the funds from the sale of my house into two travel wallets, and used a portion of it as a deposit on a property my daughter was buying. I was able to show the documents from the sale of my house, transferred into my SA bank account and then converted to pounds on the travel wallets and then deposited into my UK bank account. Had no issues with the bank what so ever.

I am sure you will have no issues as long as you bring all relevant documentation to show the chain of ownership of the funds.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 6:29 am
Just Joined

BrummieWife is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mary58,
Thanks for the information. I will search fr Baileys International and get a quote from them.

In regards to the funds, Do you mean by prepaid visa card when you say travel wallet?

Kind Regards
Old Aug 27th 2015, 9:00 am
Just Joined

Mary58 is an unknown quantity at this point

HI Brummie, Yep I went into Standard Foreign exchange got £1000 in cash and the balance I put on to two travel wallets, I did leave some behind in my account and used some of that in a visit to SA in June and then had the balance put on my travel wallet again to bring back with me.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Susan100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it better to transfer savings back to the UK before you take up residence or after you take up residence in the UK, because of tax reasons.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susan100
Is it better to transfer savings back to the UK before you take up residence or after you take up residence in the UK, because of tax reasons.
Transfering money you already own has no significance for tax purposes.