Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from NZ... Help!!

Moving back to the UK from NZ... Help!!

Old Mar 27th 2014, 12:30 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from NZ... Help!!

Originally Posted by davros1984
One of the prime candidates.
Explain yourself Davros ? Blinkers I have not and wealthy I am not...so ?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 5:08 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Explain yourself Davros ? Blinkers I have not and wealthy I am not...so ?
Well Davros ?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 6:38 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - missed this thread.

Stormer, you are a prime example of NZ being significantly better for you than the UK. I have no issue with that at all. We have a great life here in NZ - we're gutted that the "dream" here is coming to an end.

Our reasons for going back:
* Serious family issues
* Affordability of housing especially in areas where there are high numbers of jobs
* Wanting to see more of the world
* The traffic here is appauling, very little infrastructure and public transport options

I respect your views, the issue I have with you is that you sometimes come across as not thinking that you can have a better life in the UK than say Auckland. I also put my hand up and say my previous post on this thread was an over-reaction - I am certainly guilty of that on occasions, so for that outburst - I apologise.

I will say, you know what you've said, r.e. build quality of houses in UK vs NZ, this belief that they are built better and more affordable in NZ. Again that's fine. If you can however find me some beautiful stone-built properties at a good price, please do so.

if you compare Auckland to various other metropolitan areas in the UK, you will see:

* there is significantly more choice in UK
* Plenty of well built houses
* Plenty of affordable options
* Good job opportunities
* Public Transport
* Easy to go on great holidays abroad

I believe NZ is somewhere we WILL return to one day, when we have significantly more cash in our bank accounts (i.e. 150-200K+ GBP). As first time buyers however, we're simply trying to push water uphill. Living here has taught us a lot of things and certainly we want to keep our Kiwi-esque attitudes on some things, certainly towards materialistic posessions, cars, borrowing money, keeping up with others. As the years have passed what is "important" has certainly changed and there is a clear gulf between us (me and my partner) and some of our old friends at home (i.e. can't afford a house, but happy to take out a 16K car loan! as the current one is 3-4 years old)

Last edited by davros1984; Mar 31st 2014 at 6:42 am.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 7:17 am

Davros Serious family issues are a real problem and I can relate to that.
All of the other issues in your post I am afraid we will differ on. 10 years ago I might have agreed but in the past 4 years issues with UK building standards and enforced social housing building amidst new estates are wrong.
Housing prices AKL to the midlands where I came from are very similar and brick build two walls are a thing of the past. Public transport has been seriously cut in the cost saving drive and unless you are seeing Europe on "package holidays" then you will find travel expensive.
Remember there is no such thing as a bargain and if the house is cheap there is a reason.
Believe it or not my brother in law is IT manager in a large UK college a bit older than you and humming and dithering for the last five years about buying a property that he thinks is over valued......the prices have gone up and up and he is still waiting for a better deal......It's value is what people will pay for it.
Good luck in your quest...I have found my SAFE haven Poor in pocket but rich in lifestyle.