Moving back to UK from NZ

Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of
Default Moving back to UK from NZ

Hi all. After three years of living in auckland, my husband and I have 90% decided that we'd like to move back to wales.

We have a trip home in august for a family wedding, and are thinking to then save as much money as possible for 6 months and go home in March next year (just to get another summer!).

In terms of costs of returning, is it simply flights and removal costs? I'm also thinking of saving 3 months worth of living costs to provide a buffer if we don't both get jobs straight away.

Also interested to hear others' experiences in terms of cost for moving furniture. Is it cheaper to take stuff with us or just start fresh when we get home?

Cheers
Old Feb 11th 2018, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK from NZ

We didn't ship furniture as we couldn't afford to. That and we wouldn't have had time as we only had 4 days between making the decision and flying. But we did use a movecube to send personal items.

As to if it is worth shipping, it depends on the quality and condition of your furniture. There is little point shipping something that is close to needing replacing.

With regards costs of the move, have you got somewhere to stay on arrival? Will you need a car on arrival? I had a job to come to which carried a car with it which solved that and we had no issues securing a rental because I was working - we had booked two weeks in an Airbnb for arrival. Have you got any pets?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 6:31 am
Forum Regular

darbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud ofdarbydoo has much to be proud of

How did you find movecube? I haven't heard of that service before, but looks quite good online.

I guess we could take the same approach as when we moved here, and just took meaningful stuff, leaving behind any old furniture etc.

We would have family to stay with for a few weeks yeah, and probably would need to find jobs before securing a rental as you've suggested. no pets, we rehomed them in the UK when we left
Old Feb 11th 2018, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have been around the forums for a long time and movecube have been popular for years.

To get a rental one of you will need to get a job or you will need to pay six months rent up front. But jobs are plentiful at the moment.

If you chose not to ship, then gumtree is a great resource for picking up second hand bits. We needed a sofa and someone was advertising one for free. We assumed it would be a bit crap, but would tied us over. Got there to pick it up and it was at a millionaires house. He had only had it a couple of months after he had it built to order by an Italian designer but his wife wanted to redecorate and it didn't go with the new plans! Sat on it now. IKEA are also good and charity shops.

Have you still got a uk bank account?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hah that’s a bit of luck!

Yep still got a bank account and occasionally put some money into it to keep it ticking along.

Does movecube tend to be cheaper than using someone like pickfords for a partial container?
Old Feb 11th 2018, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

ChrisHT is an unknown quantity at this point

Interested in your guys comments re Movecube & would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has actually used them, are they cheaper than a container?.Also re Bank account..looking on-line appears easy enough to open an account as we are still citizens although do have doubts it's that straight forward...been here 14 years and while looking forward to going home, is quite a daunting task!.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

It's definetly cheaper to buy here rather than ship stuff, after living in NZ you'll know how much basic things cost but it's the opposite here.

We got back from nz 15 months ago and haven't regretted it even once.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ChrisHT
Interested in your guys comments re Movecube & would love to hear any feedback from anyone who has actually used them, are they cheaper than a container?.Also re Bank account..looking on-line appears easy enough to open an account as we are still citizens although do have doubts it's that straight forward...been here 14 years and while looking forward to going home, is quite a daunting task!.
As per above we used them and very happy. They are not the same as a container as they don't hold anything the same amount.

Bank accounts seem to vary. We arrived back, popped into the local Halifax and arranged an appointment for the following day - they have to see you in person. Sat with a girl for half an hour and received bank cards two days later.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

kimka058 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have been following these posts for a while. I am also in NZ and my partner and I have finally made the decision to go home. We are heading home next year, so I have an entire year of waiting and agonising as well as planning to get through. Am interested also in the movecube thing, as we wont be taking furniture, but we have accumulated books and mementos which we would be very reluctant to be parted from. Does anyone have any strong opinion about movecube vs boxes being shipped?