Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from NZ

Moving back to the UK from NZ

Old Jan 31st 2018, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice
Default Moving back to the UK from NZ

Good Evening

Recommendations please for:-

Pet exporter in the Auckland/Waikato region to help bring my two dogs back to the UK.
International removal firms - we are based in Hamilton.

Thanks
Old Jan 31st 2018, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from NZ

If Dogtainers operate in NZ then I would highly recommend
Old Jan 31st 2018, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Pothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nicePothy is just really nice

Thank you verystormy they certainly do operate in NZ - I will contact in the morning.
Old Jan 31st 2018, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in Waikato and used Jetpets! They're based in Auckland and were great. It cost around $5,000 for a springer from Aukland to Manchester (including a crate).
Old Feb 1st 2018, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Robbie2010. Can I ask which removers you used and if you were happy with them?
Old Feb 1st 2018, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pothy
Thanks Robbie2010. Can I ask which removers you used and if you were happy with them?
We used Transworld International ... They're based in Tauranga. https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...aqeIEsRFAFOYJs

They were a little unsure of the Transfer of Residence procedure which came in just as we moved but apart from that they OK.
Their rep came out and assesed what we had and came back with a quote.
All our stuff was packed really well and nothing was damaged on arrival.

Last edited by Robbie2010; Feb 1st 2018 at 7:34 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Claire Wills is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pothy,
Apologies for being off topic but I was wondering if you would share why you are returning to the UK?

My husband’s dream of a job offer from NZ, has come true (location is Hamilton.) I’m not really looking forward to the move. Was interested in your post as not only are you in Hamilton, but it’s a very recent post too.

Many thanks,
Claire
Old Feb 5th 2018, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Guernsey2612 is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am moving back to UK from NZ...

If its ok will be more than happy to share our experience as well......
Old Feb 6th 2018, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Guernsey2612
I too am moving back to UK from NZ...

If its ok will be more than happy to share our experience as well......
Go on then!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Guernsey2612 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks...
Well to start off.. my wife is a nurse. We moved over here on a 6 month work visa as the Health Board sent in an email, that they would be offering a full time permanent position within the 6 months. Since we have been here, they have not held up their end of the bargain, I have struggled to find work, my son also. Kiwi's are a hard bunch to break down, they are lovely and friendly, but difficult to make friends with if you know what I mean.
My wife has been subject to bullying in the workplace, and it truly is a question of, if your face fits up here. We have tried to get full time work elsewhere but the only things there are offering are short term roles and not enough hours to gain a permanent contract.
This experience, whilst the country is beautiful, has left a bad taste in out mouths. With the proposed changes the Government are putting through, its going to make it harder to live over here.
They seem to rely alot on casual employment here as well.
So we have decided to say good bye to NZ, we will be back to visit, but not to work.
This has been an experience, and if you have young kids and are prepared to work bloody hard you will make it here. Dont forget they tax everything here. Food not a lot of choice, and what there is not that great. The meat is lovely though.

I hope you guys make a go of it over here and I wish you well.

Let me know how it goes.
Andy
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi Claire - not sure where to start. We arrived here in 2007 - not escaping from a horrendous life in the UK because we had a really good life but just wanting to do something different (both in our 40's back then). My partner is an civil engineer and although there is much well paid work around he has spent most of his time away from home in different towns and even on a different island. In our experience the NZ'ers work very long hours with 4 weeks holiday a year (3 weeks when we first arrived!). The norm is a 40 hour week but my partner always works a 10 hr plus day without fail! I was a book keeper but simply could not find work so have spent the last 7 years training to be an accountant which meant starting all over again on the minimum wage!
I have a real problem with the cost of just about everything - it makes my eyes water! I really resent paying so much - makes me angry!
I was a real outdoor person in the UK but there is a lack of footpaths and rights of way and I won't even start to mention the lack of ozone layer which results in a burning sun - I spend most of the summer inside! The Waikato is very humid and has 3 times the rainfall of East Anglia which is where I am from in the UK. I hate the weather here!
I miss CULTURE and the fact travel opportunities are very limited due to cost and time restraints. Can't wait until I have Europe on my door step.
NZ is a very personal experience for everyone and what suits some doesn't suit another - my sister for instance loves it here. I'm afraid you will never know until you have tried. We lived in a rural location in the UK and was very horsey and doggy - it certainly is not the same here. I can't wait until I am walking my dogs in the English countryside again. Good luck Claire and if you are looking for a property to buy we will have one on the market very soon!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Claire Wills is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Guernsey2612 and Pothy, really appreciate your replies. I've not joined forum sites before, but it was refreshing to see a post from 2018!

Andy, I'm so sorry to hear of your negative experiences there, it must be so disheartening when you've taken the gamble to move. I will need to research the Government changes that you're referring too. Are there particular implementations that you had in mind, when you mentioned the changes in your post? Thank you for the well wishes, we'll see what happens.

Pothy, so much of what you've mentioned is relating to my concerns, so thank you for covering a fair amount. The costs that I've researched to date, do make me nervous already. As for the humidity, I hadn't given it much thought for over there - I hate it! So much about the UK that I love, won't be there. But I do also know that NZ offers so much in it's own way, just hesitant that it won't add up for me.

My hubby is in his early 40's, I am in my mid 30's and we have a 16 month old son. We live in a leafy part of South West London/Surrey border. Great schools, great green space, just about finished renovating our home and we've adjusted to one salary OK (I haven't returned to work since maternity, am re-training to be a Primary School Teacher, which I've been doing part-time over the last 3 years.) We were thinking about moving further down Surrey way in a few years, for an even more leafy life - and then the job offer came through. Your mention of walks in the English countryside, was the tug on my heart strings!

We'll be renting for a few years as not prepared to sell our London home yet. But thank you for the offer. Out of interest, where is your house over there? We are looking at a few areas to consider, based on personal recommendations - Rototuna, Flagstaff or to be further out of the city, Cambridge. Researching primary and secondary schools has been important. Also, sense of community. I've asked my hubby to go ahead of us 3 (son, cat and I) so that we don't arrive there to short, temporary living arrangements that are subject to change too much.

Thanks again to you both! Apologies to everyone for changing the point of this thread

Best,
Claire

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 6th 2018 at 7:12 pm. Reason: Agree. Best to keep on open forum for now. Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2018, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pothy
Hi Claire - not sure where to start. We arrived here in 2007 - not escaping from a horrendous life in the UK because we had a really good life but just wanting to do something different (both in our 40's back then). My partner is an civil engineer and although there is much well paid work around he has spent most of his time away from home in different towns and even on a different island. In our experience the NZ'ers work very long hours with 4 weeks holiday a year (3 weeks when we first arrived!). The norm is a 40 hour week but my partner always works a 10 hr plus day without fail! I was a book keeper but simply could not find work so have spent the last 7 years training to be an accountant which meant starting all over again on the minimum wage!
I have a real problem with the cost of just about everything - it makes my eyes water! I really resent paying so much - makes me angry!
I was a real outdoor person in the UK but there is a lack of footpaths and rights of way and I won't even start to mention the lack of ozone layer which results in a burning sun - I spend most of the summer inside! The Waikato is very humid and has 3 times the rainfall of East Anglia which is where I am from in the UK. I hate the weather here!
I miss CULTURE and the fact travel opportunities are very limited due to cost and time restraints. Can't wait until I have Europe on my door step.
NZ is a very personal experience for everyone and what suits some doesn't suit another - my sister for instance loves it here. I'm afraid you will never know until you have tried. We lived in a rural location in the UK and was very horsey and doggy - it certainly is not the same here. I can't wait until I am walking my dogs in the English countryside again. Good luck Claire and if you are looking for a property to buy we will have one on the market very soon!
If I may just add to this I think that having children can also be a big factor and the ages they are on arrival.
Its very hard to turn off all you have ever known and not compare.
Good luck
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Claire Wills
Thank you Guernsey2612 and Pothy, really appreciate your replies. I've not joined forum sites before, but it was refreshing to see a post from 2018!

Andy, I'm so sorry to hear of your negative experiences there, it must be so disheartening when you've taken the gamble to move. I will need to research the Government changes that you're referring too. Are there particular implementations that you had in mind, when you mentioned the changes in your post? Thank you for the well wishes, we'll see what happens.

Pothy, so much of what you've mentioned is relating to my concerns, so thank you for covering a fair amount. The costs that I've researched to date, do make me nervous already. As for the humidity, I hadn't given it much thought for over there - I hate it! So much about the UK that I love, won't be there. But I do also know that NZ offers so much in it's own way, just hesitant that it won't add up for me.

My hubby is in his early 40's, I am in my mid 30's and we have a 16 month old son. We live in a leafy part of South West London/Surrey border. Great schools, great green space, just about finished renovating our home and we've adjusted to one salary OK (I haven't returned to work since maternity, am re-training to be a Primary School Teacher, which I've been doing part-time over the last 3 years.) We were thinking about moving further down Surrey way in a few years, for an even more leafy life - and then the job offer came through. Your mention of walks in the English countryside, was the tug on my heart strings!

We'll be renting for a few years as not prepared to sell our London home yet. But thank you for the offer. Out of interest, where is your house over there? We are looking at a few areas to consider, based on personal recommendations - Rototuna, Flagstaff or to be further out of the city, Cambridge. Researching primary and secondary schools has been important. Also, sense of community. I've asked my hubby to go ahead of us 3 (son, cat and I) so that we don't arrive there to short, temporary living arrangements that are subject to change too much.

Thanks again to you both! Apologies to everyone for changing the point of this thread

Best,
Claire
Hi Claire - we live in Forest Lake, a slightly older area then both Rototuna or Flagstaff but only 2 kms from the CBD (Central Business District) so a place many people would like to live. Rototuna and Flagstaff are both relatively new areas and very popular with the Chinese (particularly Rototuna). It reminds me a bit of the 'Stepford Wives' - have you seen that film if not you must google! Bit too perfect for me and I prefer older properties! Hamilton wouldn't be most people's choice and to be honest I wouldn't have moved across the world to live here if I had known!! Two things that make it more attractive is the River Waikato and it is beautifully treed. It is known as the asthma capital of the world due to its climate!! We also renovated a property in the UK and will do again - more difficult to do here due to the whopping expense of everything - google the price of paint and wallpaper . No-one can say whether or not you will love it or hate it here but it is great you are keeping your UK home - the exchange rate is not conducive to bringing money over at the moment anyway!
Old Mar 9th 2018, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - back to the original post...we're moving from Auckland to Cardiff in a few months and are aiming to use Pet Transport for the dog and Crown for the household stuff.