Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK with my Ukrainian wife.

Moving back to the UK with my Ukrainian wife.

Old May 24th 2011, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Leeb65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Moving back to the UK with my Ukrainian wife.

Hi all,

I have been living with my wife in Ukraine for around 4 years, but we have been married for 2.5 years (3 in November) early next year we want to move to England. Mostly for my career.

We have been looking on the internet for information about moving back to england and mostly directed to the UK boarder Agency. Sounds good except it's a Ukrainian telling me they cannot influence the decision. Not that I asked them to in the first place.

I have searched and find that nothing refers to an expat moving back with a foriegn wife. They say I have to live and work there for 6 months, have a place to live for only My wife and I and enough money that we need no public funds. Understand the public funds part, but what about us expats?!?!?

Does anyone out there know anything useful, that would help me decide the visa type and any other information that would make this move easier?
Old May 25th 2011, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK with my Ukrainian wife.

start at http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
Old May 25th 2011, 3:42 am
Just Joined

vicky_w_2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Leeb65
Hi all,

I have been living with my wife in Ukraine for around 4 years, but we have been married for 2.5 years (3 in November) early next year we want to move to England. Mostly for my career.

We have been looking on the internet for information about moving back to england and mostly directed to the UK boarder Agency. Sounds good except it's a Ukrainian telling me they cannot influence the decision. Not that I asked them to in the first place.

I have searched and find that nothing refers to an expat moving back with a foriegn wife. They say I have to live and work there for 6 months, have a place to live for only My wife and I and enough money that we need no public funds. Understand the public funds part, but what about us expats?!?!?

Does anyone out there know anything useful, that would help me decide the visa type and any other information that would make this move easier?
ok i read on the website under unmarried/same sex partners - living outside the UK is the link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pa...tners/#header1

that if you have lived abroad together for four yrs or more she can get ILR Indefinite Leave to Remain. I am not sure if i attached the link properly but i hope this helps
Vicky
Old May 25th 2011, 7:30 am
Just Joined

Leeb65 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by vicky_w_2005
ok i read on the website under unmarried/same sex partners - living outside the UK is the link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pa...tners/#header1
Thanks Vicky, but we are not same sex and are married , so not sure that this info applies. The sites always seem to talk about people who have a settlement visa wanting to return to the UK and nothing about British expats returning. The main problem I have is that they want me to provide a letter from my employer and 6 months pay slips from my job in England, which I do not have. I plan to return to England 1 month max before the big move to start working and get a house for us to live in, after all we married to be together.

Are there any ex-expats out there who have been through a similar experience or any expats who have a visa already and are getting ready to make the move? I would like to know about your experiences and what papers you gave the UK Boarder Agency, were these papers translated and authenticated by a solicitor or just translated.
Old May 25th 2011, 12:09 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Vicky, but we are not same sex and are married , so not sure that this info applies. The sites always seem to talk about people who have a settlement visa wanting to return to the UK and nothing about British expats returning. The main problem I have is that they want me to provide a letter from my employer and 6 months pay slips from my job in England, which I do not have. I plan to return to England 1 month max before the big move to start working and get a house for us to live in, after all we married to be together.

Are there any ex-expats out there who have been through a similar experience or any expats who have a visa already and are getting ready to make the move? I would like to know about your experiences and what papers you gave the UK Boarder Agency, were these papers translated and authenticated by a solicitor or just translated.
Have you read JAJ's link it gives all the details http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/settlement/spouses

If you still not sure look at www.immigrationboards.com loads of folk have posted there
Old May 29th 2011, 5:59 am
Just Joined

Paul.A is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife will require a UK Settlement visa. If you had been married 4 years you would have been entitled with ILE subject to satisfying the KOL requirement however you do not qualify.

Its a UK Spouse visa you require !

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoap...ettlementguide
Old May 29th 2011, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife can apply for a UK Spousal Settlement visa. I think the link has been provided to you. Yes, in order for the visa to be approved, certain criteria have to met. You have to show that she has a place to live and that there are sufficient income or savings that will be used to support her and prevent her from being a public charge.

If you do not have sufficient savings, then you will have to return to the UK, find a job (w/a sufficient level of income) and a place for you both to live. If that means you have to be separated for several months, then that is what you have to do.

Or, your other option is to use a Third Party sponsor. Do you have a family member or friend that has a good income that would be willing to support her? The benefit of a third party sponsor is that you would not have to be separated.

If you cannot meet the accommodation or maintenance criteria for the visa, it will not be approved. Simple as that really. She will not be granted the visa just because she is married to you.

We are in the exact situation, except that I am a US citizen. My husband is in Scotland currently to attend a job interview on Monday. If he's offered the job, it will still be a few months before I can join him there because he will have to sort a place for us to live and I will need to apply for my visa this side of the pond (not to mention, coordinating the move of our belongings). We don't want to be separated, but we have to do what we have to do.

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; May 29th 2011 at 3:29 pm.
Old May 29th 2011, 7:06 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

You can use savings also in lieu of a job or co-sponsor. However it would need to be a reasonable amount. Unlike some countries like the USA, there is not a set minimum, but I'd hesitate to apply with less than enough cash to live on for say 6 months without a job. If you do have some savings, you could maybe draw up a budget to show the Border Agency that the money will last, but do be realistic about how much everything will cost.

Given that, there still remains the hurdle of accommodation. If you don't have enough for a deposit and 6 months' rent on a property you'll probably have to stay with relatives anyway and will need written confirmation from them that you and your wife can stay there, plus proof from the relative that the accommodation is theirs (lease, deed or mortgage statement).
Old May 30th 2011, 4:47 am
Just Joined

Paul.A is an unknown quantity at this point

All the details are on the link provided.

Third party accommodation is allowed + funds.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

PriMarina is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Your wife can apply for a UK Spousal Settlement visa. I think the link has been provided to you. Yes, in order for the visa to be approved, certain criteria have to met. You have to show that she has a place to live and that there are sufficient income or savings that will be used to support her and prevent her from being a public charge.

If you do not have sufficient savings, then you will have to return to the UK, find a job (w/a sufficient level of income) and a place for you both to live. If that means you have to be separated for several months, then that is what you have to do.

Or, your other option is to use a Third Party sponsor. Do you have a family member or friend that has a good income that would be willing to support her? The benefit of a third party sponsor is that you would not have to be separated.

If you cannot meet the accommodation or maintenance criteria for the visa, it will not be approved. Simple as that really. She will not be granted the visa just because she is married to you.

We are in the exact situation, except that I am a US citizen. My husband is in Scotland currently to attend a job interview on Monday. If he's offered the job, it will still be a few months before I can join him there because he will have to sort a place for us to live and I will need to apply for my visa this side of the pond (not to mention, coordinating the move of our belongings). We don't want to be separated, but we have to do what we have to do.
Sorry for offtopic ... And where did you meet with your wife?
Old May 30th 2011, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PriMarina
Sorry for offtopic ... And where did you meet with your wife?
I am the wife. I met my British husband when I went to Scotland to study.
Old May 30th 2011, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

PriMarina is an unknown quantity at this point

wow...for study.... good.
I dream about my daughter to study in the UK. She still goes to school. Maybe I too will be to meet there special British man.
Sorry, offtopic.