Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK with dog.......

Moving back to UK with dog.......

Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:51 am
Just Joined

anonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Moving back to UK with dog.......

Just to say there is a worldwide shortage of the rabies vaccine at the moment ,it is in very short supply so anyone thinking of heading back to UK this is something your pet will need. I have managed to find one thank goodness but the vet I used is not expecting anymore till mid next year. Also having it done 6 month before you travel eliminates quarantine in the UK.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK with dog.......

Originally Posted by anonomoz
Just to say there is a worldwide shortage of the rabies vaccine at the moment ,it is in very short supply so anyone thinking of heading back to UK this is something your pet will need. I have managed to find one thank goodness but the vet I used is not expecting anymore till mid next year. Also having it done 6 month before you travel eliminates quarantine in the UK.
Can you provide a link to this info please?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:12 am
Just Joined

anonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the roughanonomoz is a jewel in the rough

Sorry have tried but failed!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 6:11 am
Just Joined

bushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nicebushfireblonde is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Can you provide a link to this info please?
If you google 'rabies vaccine shortage' you will come up with a lot of information about it.

Dog News Australia (July Issue) also carried a story about it... http://www.dognewsaustralia.com.au/ Scroll down the page a little to read the relevant bit.

There is also a lot of talk on various Australian vet websites and dog forums about vets restricting their vaccinations to regular clients only.

I am in the South-West suburbs of Brisbane in Oz, and have just had my 5 furry companions vaccinated. We were originally going to have them done over a period of months, as we are not planning on leaving Oz until mid-next year, but after advice from our vet, have had them all done at once (BIG dollars - gulp!!)

When the vet originally told us there was a shortage, and if we wanted to be sure they would be able to travel in 10-12 months time we should do it NOW, I was sceptical and investigated.... Only to find that the shortage does indeed exist.

In fact our vet phoned us back the next day to say that if we wanted vaccine, there were only six vials left in our area, and they couldn't guarantee getting any more until perhaps June/July 2011.... and as we needed five, they recommended we got them immediately.

Now we are in the anxious wait period, hoping that our five will all test positive for antibodies when the titre test is performed next week. Because if we need to re-vaccinate any of them, it could be very difficult to get hold of the vaccine

I don't know what the situation in the USA, or the rest of the world is, but if anyone is in Oz, is thinking of moving in the next 12 months, and especially if they have more than one pet, I'd advise speaking to your vet ASAP.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bushfireblonde
If you google 'rabies vaccine shortage' you will come up with a lot of information about it.

Dog News Australia (July Issue) also carried a story about it... http://www.dognewsaustralia.com.au/ Scroll down the page a little to read the relevant bit.

There is also a lot of talk on various Australian vet websites and dog forums about vets restricting their vaccinations to regular clients only.

I am in the South-West suburbs of Brisbane in Oz, and have just had my 5 furry companions vaccinated. We were originally going to have them done over a period of months, as we are not planning on leaving Oz until mid-next year, but after advice from our vet, have had them all done at once (BIG dollars - gulp!!)

When the vet originally told us there was a shortage, and if we wanted to be sure they would be able to travel in 10-12 months time we should do it NOW, I was sceptical and investigated.... Only to find that the shortage does indeed exist.

In fact our vet phoned us back the next day to say that if we wanted vaccine, there were only six vials left in our area, and they couldn't guarantee getting any more until perhaps June/July 2011.... and as we needed five, they recommended we got them immediately.

Now we are in the anxious wait period, hoping that our five will all test positive for antibodies when the titre test is performed next week. Because if we need to re-vaccinate any of them, it could be very difficult to get hold of the vaccine

I don't know what the situation in the USA, or the rest of the world is, but if anyone is in Oz, is thinking of moving in the next 12 months, and especially if they have more than one pet, I'd advise speaking to your vet ASAP.

Can i ask, if they have already had a rabies injection, do they need another one to travel outside of Canada?

Thanks.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkkristen
Can i ask, if they have already had a rabies injection, do they need another one to travel outside of Canada?

Thanks.
Depends on whether you are taking them to the UK. If so, you need to follow the PETs system, meaning that unless they have a microchip number on the vets rabies certificate, yes, they'll need another.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dunroving
Depends on whether you are taking them to the UK. If so, you need to follow the PETs system, meaning that unless they have a microchip number on the vets rabies certificate, yes, they'll need another.
Yes it would be to take her over to the UK. She has a rabies tag with a 5 digit number on and on her health records there is a barcode sticker with a 10 digit/letters on it, i'm presuming this is her microchip. A bit confused by it all, need to look into all more. We're not going for another year, but from reading people's experience it all takes time.

Any info appreciated.

thanks
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it would be to take her over to the UK. She has a rabies tag with a 5 digit number on and on her health records there is a barcode sticker with a 10 digit/letters on it, i'm presuming this is her microchip. A bit confused by it all, need to look into all more. We're not going for another year, but from reading people's experience it all takes time.

Any info appreciated.

thanks
That's not the microchip. The microchip is a small (grain of rice-size) chip injected into the dog's neck to identify him/her on all subsequent documentation.

You'd best start off clicking here.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dunroving
That's not the microchip. The microchip is a small (grain of rice-size) chip injected into the dog's neck to identify him/her on all subsequent documentation.

You'd best start off clicking here.
I know that its in her neck, i thought the bar code was something to do with identifying that she has one. Best get learning quick!
Thanks for the link, i'll have a read
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:03 pm
Ping-ponger

I know that its in her neck, i thought the bar code was something to do with identifying that she has one. Best get learning quick!
Thanks for the link, i'll have a read
The bar code is probably off the vaccine, showing what batch it was from, etc. They usually scan the chip with a chip reader, and write the chip number by hand on the rabies certificate (and all the other paerwork you will have to complete as part of the process).

It seems like an intimidating process and it can be a bit nerve-wracking, but lots of folks on here have gone through it so a) there are lots of previous threads containing advice (do an Advanced Search for DEFRA), and b) if you have any questions after reading the Wiki I linked you to, doing a search, and reading the DEFRA site, you'll get plenty of advice from the old-timers.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry have tried but failed!
Originally Posted by bushfireblonde

Thanks. I Googled last night but the first page didn't find the Aus link (I'm in the US). The articles I found were dated a couple of years ago.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Yes the bar code is the identification number on the microchip! When my dog was chipped I came away with a piece of paper and 3 stickers with the 15 numbers on it that are in the chip. When he had his rabies vaccine one of the chip stickers was put on his new 'rabies' paperwork along with the batch sticker from the rabies injection! Hope that makes sense and thanks to bushfire for putting the link, I did try!!! Hopeless!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes the bar code is the identification number on the microchip! When my dog was chipped I came away with a piece of paper and 3 stickers with the 15 numbers on it that are in the chip. When he had his rabies vaccine one of the chip stickers was put on his new 'rabies' paperwork along with the batch sticker from the rabies injection! Hope that makes sense and thanks to bushfire for putting the link, I did try!!! Hopeless!
I think I'm correct in saying that unless your pet had a PP to begin with, it has been kept up to date and the details have been correctly entered on the paperwork...you will have to start the process from scratch. For starters the microchip has to be one that the DEFRA vets can read with their reader...unless you take a reader with you.

There are loads of threads on this subject...use the Search Function to locate them and check out the BE Wiki. Give me a shout if you need any help locating them.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:00 am
Just Joined

goessee is an unknown quantity at this point

So, before I take it back, i have to apply for a rabies tag with a 5 digit number?

I only stay several days abroad. It is a trouble some.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:43 am
Just Joined

britmomma is an unknown quantity at this point

defra.co.uk is what you are looking for. Click the pet travel scheme, print and take to your vet. Your dog has to have the UK chip or you must buy a reader to take with you, the dog has to be chipped BEFORE the rabies vaccine is given. The vet must read the chip, record the chip number, give the vaccine and record the batch number of the vaccine. In the US we have to have a blood test to determine the rabies anti-bodies are present, this must be recorded by the vet. The wait time here on the blood test is six months. Once this test is complete we have an additional two months to get the dog over, but before he boards the plane he must have tick treatment and tapeworm treatment not sooner than 48hrs before he leaves. All recorded by the vet. Hopefully if all goes well no quarantine.

Good luck with your dog and keep us posted, we will be following you next summer!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.