Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to uk from Canada problems?

Moving back to uk from Canada problems?

Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

Wisewood is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to uk from Canada problems?

Considering making back to live in the uk
any advice helpful?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:30 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to uk from Canada problems?

Your age, wealth, and family circumstances are probably the most important deciding factors...you haven't told us anything.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Well to answer your questions I am early seventies
my family are aging and need my assistance
and I own my own home and am comfortably well off
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Would you be moving back to the UK temporarily (1-5 years) and then move back to Canada or is this move permanent?
If it's permanent, do you have anyone in the UK who will do the same for you when you get older, or are they all here in Canada?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

At this stage I’m not sure how long I would live in uk
i May decide to stay permanently
just looking for someone who has been there done that for their advice really right now
the implication the cost etc
but thanks D
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wisewood
just looking for someone who has been there done that for their advice really right now
but thanks D
Hi again.
I cannot help as I haven't made the move back although it remains ever on my mind.

I see from your thread title that you are asking about potential problems.

Do you mean by way of renting, health care and the like? Perhaps reverse culture shock?

Have a good browse around this forum. You will see many that have returned and some that have left again.

I'm in New Zealand so only 11am here but likely late night in the UK so folks may not be about for a good few hours yet.

all the best
BEVS
Old Jan 24th 2019, 8:59 pm
Tea Drinker

I see that you have lived in Canada for 50+ years, moving back to the UK permanently will be a life changing decision for you. If it's temporary, it will be much easier and far far cheaper.
If it were me at your age, I'd go for the temporary option first and see how you feel. You may hate it after all these years away.

Good luck to you.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

but thanks D

Search the forum for folks moving from Canada back to UK..... loads have done it ....... read about their experiences .
Old Jan 25th 2019, 1:53 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Well to answer your questions I am early seventies
my family are aging and need my assistance
and I own my own home and am comfortably well off
Are you married?

You sound like a catch!
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Make getting your Canadian citizenship a priority if you have not already done so; gives you more choice.
Old Jan 29th 2019, 10:19 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I see that you have lived in Canada for 50+ years, moving back to the UK permanently will be a life changing decision for you. If it's temporary, it will be much easier and far far cheaper.
If it were me at your age, I'd go for the temporary option first and see how you feel. You may hate it after all these years away.

Good luck to you.
Moving back is no different if you are single and wanting to make a permanent move or temporary one, the logistics are the same, you do not have to tell anyone it's temporary, if you are married and your partner is NOT a British Citizen they there are differences
Old Jan 29th 2019, 3:46 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Moving back is no different if you are single and wanting to make a permanent move or temporary one, the logistics are the same, you do not have to tell anyone it's temporary, if you are married and your partner is NOT a British Citizen they there are differences
It is very different if you are selling everything you own in Canada and leaving behind your adult children in Canada.
I wouldn't want to be alone in the UK in my 70's with no one to look after me. At least if it is temporary (to spend some time with elderly parents as an example) you can eventually move back to your own house in Canada and be with your children > grand children.