Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the UK from Canada

Moving back to the UK from Canada

Old Jul 30th 2020, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

H1pp0S is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the UK from Canada

We have to move back to the UK but am worried about schooling for my 15 year old twins. They have just completed Grade 10 and would be going into Grade 11 in September.

If we were in the Uk they would be going into year 11. My concern is that year 11 is the second year of GCSE.
I have been told by my Aunt that there is a possibility that they will be forced to repeat year 10 and that some schools might refuse to accept them into year 11 because it will be too much work to get them prepared for the GCSE exams at the end of year 11.

I realise my situation is a mess and I am beating myself up everyday, realising it was a mistake moving to CA and especially now because I have messed up my kids education

Any advice will be appreciated
Old Jul 30th 2020, 9:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to the UK from Canada

Originally Posted by H1pp0S
If we were in the Uk they would be going into year 11. My concern is that year 11 is the second year of GCSE.
I have been told by my Aunt that there is a possibility that they will be forced to repeat year 10 and that some schools might refuse to accept them into year 11 because it will be too much work to get them prepared for the GCSE exams at the end of year 11.
Sorry to hear of your predicament. Would it be the end of the world if they did go in to Year 10? I think that would be a good idea tbh, a lot of schools do GCSE's over 3 years, the last year is essentially just revision and exam techniques, so they'd probably really struggle if they started in Year 11. And bear in mind that they'd be doing mocks in November only 8 weeks after starting. Although normally those are a test run for the real thing, last year they ended up being a major contributor to grades. My daughter's school (she's also 15, going in to Yr 11 in Sept) are telling them to treat the mocks as their actual exams, in case we have a second spike/lockdown/children are off school with the virus, she's already started revising for them.

I'd speak to the schools in the area you're planning on moving to, if you can during the summer hols. They'll be able to look at your children's school work and advise best I'd imagine.

Best of luck to you.
Old Jul 30th 2020, 10:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Christmasoompa - your "concern" should be that a school does put them in Year 11.

If you don't want to further mess up your chidlren's education you need to make sure that they start in Year 10, as that it is the surest way to get them on track to perform to the best of their ability in their GCSE's.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 3:11 pm
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved back to uk after our son finished grade 10. He went into yr 11 and he didn't find at as hard as he thought it would be. He had the option of going back a year but he didn't want to as his birthday is September, making he one of the eldest. He ended up getting above grade mark in his GCSE.
​​​​​
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Christmasoompa, Pulaski and Honey246 for your advice.

I have contacted 3 schools and waiting for them to respond.
I would like them to go into year 10 but the twins are not keen. They were born November 2004 so they both piped up that they will be much older than the other kids.
Neither of them are academically strong, so I feel it will be too stressful for them to pick up half way. And thinking of my own sanity, It’s not just one child to cope with but 2
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 11:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H1pp0S
Thank you Christmasoompa, Pulaski and Honey246 for your advice.

I have contacted 3 schools and waiting for them to respond.
I would like them to go into year 10 but the twins are not keen. They were born November 2004 so they both piped up that they will be much older than the other kids.
Neither of them are academically strong, so I feel it will be too stressful for them to pick up half way. And thinking of my own sanity, It’s not just one child to cope with but 2
Really tough. How long have you been in Canada?

Would it help if you could maybe do some practice papers or online testing with them to see the sort of level they’d be at and how much they may have to catch up on before November (if at all)? If so I’m happy to send some of my daughters revision stuff over? It just might give you an idea of where they’d be in comparison to grades. You may find they’d be fine and getting 5’s or above, or they may struggle and it might show them they’d be better off going down a year rather than having to do resits whilst their new friends go on to A Levels/college.

I’d also look at what they want to do (if they’ve any idea). My daughter wants to be a vet, so she’s got to be aiming at 7’s & above, will your twins need to factor in minimum grades for a future career or do they just need to pass?
Old Aug 4th 2020, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

We have been in Canada for 20 months. Both of them want to become police officers.

I would be grateful if you could send me some of your daughters revision stuff. I have pm,d you my email.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Moving countries and/or schools in teenage years can really screw up an individual'#s education. It happened to me and also to my younger daughter. Pulaski is right. Do not have them placed at a level where they will be struggling.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Honey246 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Honey246
We moved back to uk after our son finished grade 10. He went into yr 11 and he didn't find at as hard as he thought it would be. He had the option of going back a year but he didn't want to as his birthday is September, making he one of the eldest. He ended up getting above grade mark in his GCSE.
​​​​​
Our son had only had a canadian education and he managed to get above grades. The school let him drop a couple of subjects ie second language. He did all core subjects and was fine.the advantage your twins may have is that prior to the 20 months you have been in canada they had done uk education. Our thoughts was if he didn't do as well, he will have 2 years of college to get the grades..we also talked to them about the reasons we were doing it. 2 years later they get why we did it. Good luck.
Old Aug 8th 2020, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

My Granddaughter came to the UK when she was 15 years old.Her Mother is English but her Father Spanish & she also is a Spanish National.Previously she had never lived in England & although,of course,she spoke fluent English her written English was not so good.At her Spanish schools she had always been a normal average pupil but did very well in England from the start.She gained 8 GCSE's & now at 21 years old ,has a job in a Government Dept.on the south coast.I do not think you should be too worried.At least your twins have the advantage as English being their 1st.language.