Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to UK after 27 yrs in Canada

Moving back to UK after 27 yrs in Canada

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

JaneAndKen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to UK after 27 yrs in Canada

I am a UK & Canadian citizen. I married a Brit in 2014. I am now moving back to the UK to live with him there. I have a British passport. Do I just move back or do I have to request some kind of visa. I don't want to do the wrong thing.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to UK after 27 yrs in Canada

You can just move to the UK - no visa needed.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Providing you both have valid British passports, just jump on a plane.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a British passport you're welcome to return (or for anyone else reading this thread, "go to live in the UK, having not previously lived there") any time you want, no explanation is required or expected.

If you lived and worked in the UK you presumably already have an NI number?
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You can just move to the UK - no visa needed.
Thank you. Relieved!
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Thank you. This is what I thought, but was not sure. Its a bit daunting returning after so many years.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone recommend a shipping method for personal belongings.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneAndKen
What and how much are you shipping? Everything in your home, or something less than that?

You should probably get rid of pretty much anything electrical unless it is marked dual voltage on the spec-sticker, as messing around with transformers is more trouble than its worth. Then decide how much of your furniture will fit in a British house, and get rid of what is too big or too much.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 25th 2016 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When you arrive, register with a GP/Health Centre. Shipping costs depend where you are coming from. Shop around. You might be surprised how reasonable unaccompanied air-freight is. Do not bring stuff as accompanied baggage. Expect hassle in opening a bank account. Daesh, ISIS and Al-Qaeda seem to move money around with no problems but the banks certainly make it difficult for ordinary people !
Old Jan 26th 2016, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JaneAndKen
We used upakweship and had a 20ft container dropped off for a 48 hour period. We then had a local moving firm pack the container for us. When using a firm to pack make sure they (a) have experience packing shipping containers and (b) do a thorough and exacting estimate of the amount of items you have compared to the space you have in a 20 ft or 40 ft container.

The moving firm will give (or sell) you a container security seal to use on the container.

upakweship were far more reasonable that full service firms and were brilliant to deal with on both ends. Be sure you follow the rules regarding labelling all your items and doing proper inventory lists as this will ensure you sail through customs without your container even being opened.

If you are only shipping smaller amounts then upakweship have crates that go inside containers that are shared. Sometimes it's cheaper to go with the whole container. Also re insurance, think it through carefully and read all the documentation. Unless you spend a LOT of money on insurance, you'll find out that you're only covered for payout under extreme circumstances.

Good luck!
Old Jan 26th 2016, 2:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Re the bank account, my hubby was banking with Lloyd's when I arrived and vouched for me at the bank so I was added to his current account the morning after I arrived. I just showed them my passport. You have to get added to your hubby-to-be's council tax account if you're going to be living together straight away and also register for the electoral roll. You should get written confirmation of your addition to these records so that should also help if you're asked for proof of residence.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

I am so fortunate because I was in the UK for 2015 and got my bank account and listed on the electoral role and the council bill. So all that is done. I am ahead of the game - phew!
Old Jan 31st 2016, 3:33 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm don't see why you want to pay council tax until you are resident in the country. While your husband is the sole resident, he is entitled to a sole occupancy discount.

We also used Upakweship, coming back from Edmo in 2014. Like Mr Muffin above, we used a firm of professional movers to load the container. I would also recommend this method.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 12:31 am
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Unless your furniture is antique it's an utter waste of money to ship a house you'll be looking north or $10k for a 2 bedroom house and that's on the cheap side. Sell the furniture buy new in the uk. If no furniture I've seen quotes for $1500 for 35sq cubic feet

Last edited by ldollard; Feb 2nd 2016 at 12:36 am.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 1:36 am
Just Joined

You would think so, but once we got married in the UK in 2014 the council sent us a letter. Crazy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.