Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to the uk after 10 years in China, panicking!

Moving back to the uk after 10 years in China, panicking!

Old Dec 4th 2012, 5:58 am
Just Joined

burbur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back to the uk after 10 years in China, panicking!

Hi,
I am new to the site and have just been reading some of your experiences with returning to the UK, im finding this really helpful.
Next month i will return to the UK after ten years of living in China, i cam here straight from university so have spent the majority of my adult life here so far.
People keep on warning me about the reverse culture shock and how it will be worse than the culture shock i experienced coming to China.
I guess im just looking for maybe a bit of reassurance or just some of the things that you found hard to adapt back to after being away for a long time.
Im looking forward to coming home although i know the next year or so is going to be pretty tough what with job searching and trying to get settled. Im worried that after living in such a crazy 24 hour place as this where everyday i see something insane or amazing im going to be bored when back home.
Anyway, thats all. Any words of wisdom, experiences or just tips to make the transition a little smoother would be great. Thanks
Old Dec 4th 2012, 9:31 am
advocatus diaboli

Panhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nicePanhandle is just really nice
Default Re: Moving back to the uk after 10 years in China, panicking!

What part of the UK will you be returning to, also why after 10 yrs are you returning?

Whats it really like to live in China?

Do you have a job in the UK?
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Hi, although originally from Yorkshire i will be moving to South Wales when i get back as it is where my mum lives.
Its hard to sum up why i'm leaving but i just feel that it is time. I have never seen myself growing old and properly settling down here. I have enjoyed living in China and am sure will miss it when i return home but there are certain things that are just becoming too much to deal with, and i want to leave while the good out weighs the bad, which at the minute doesn't feel like it will be that much longer. Also i want to spend more time with my family and a little closer to home as i have missed out on a lot of events in friends and families lives so far.
As for the job situation i have nothing lined up so will be looking for a job once i get back to the UK, this is obviously the thing i am most concerned.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

What is your profession in China?

You are leaving of your own volition, and you obviously feel that life is not going to get any better for you in the future in China.

While you will notice changes in the UK - you left as a young graduate - you adapted to a completely different environment and lifestyle in China and stayed for 10 years.

I don't agree with other people that moving back to the UK could be a traumatic as moving to China After all you lived in the UK for 20/21 years so it is not totally unfamiliar to you.

Hopefully having worked for 10 years you are going back with some resources to tied you over until you find work. This might take time depending on your particular field, so you should have realistic expectations.
Old Dec 5th 2012, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Hi Sandiegogirl,
At the minute I am working for a relocation company but before that I was a bar/restaurant manager.
Iv been thinking about leaving for a long time but have just kept putting it off, finally biting the bullet. Its not that i think China has nothing left to offer me as a country like this will constantly surprise you, its more i don't feel like it will get any better than the brilliant times iv already had here. Maybe this has something to do with a lot of friends leaving, me getting older or the fact that i feel china has changed so much in the past ten years and im not sure if i like the way it is heading.
Also iv found the past few years when i go home the time i spend there which is usually three weeks to a month is just not enough anymore. I used to be bored after a couple of weeks and want to get back here as fast as i could but the draw of home seems to be getting stronger every year.
I think finding a job is going to be tough, especially if everything i see on the news is any indication, but i hope to find something that will still involve China in some way, whether it be my language abilities or just the experience i have gained in doing business in such a different environment.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of Chinese visitors in Uk now ! That could open up some jobs for you if you have competence inm Chinese language.

You will find it difficult to adapt to being in a country that is not the same as the oine you left 10 years ago.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 3:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Burbur

Are you fluent in Chinese?
I'm not sure what other academic qualifications you may have. When you get back consider taking some business courses.
I'm in high tech sales and I know that in the UK and Europe there are many, many companies that want to break into the China markets.

If you do not have much in the way of business experience or academic qualifications you could start small.

For example. Call center work. Document translation. Copy writing. Freelance work. Website work. build up couple of years experience, take courses, emphasize your knowledge of the Chinese language and culture, maybe even look into some sort of teaching work at private schools.

Good luck.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:14 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Great post! Sounds like you have had the most amazing adventure!

I think you could apply for heaps of jobs - in business, teaching or even consider the Foreign Office, they have a careers section on their website.

This may be your perfect job :-

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/curre...ob.aspx?id=173

You may not meet the residency requirements for a while but go have a look just for curiosity - just don't tell anyone lol!!!!

Anyways what with having a degree, Chinese language skills, great knowledge of China, her people and culture I think you have something a bit different to offer an employer so will hopefully land a great job, I do hope so. Good luck with your return to the UK and keep us posted how you get on!

Last edited by MissBetty; Dec 6th 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old Dec 6th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You will find it difficult to adapt to being in a country that is not the same as the oine you left 10 years ago.
Not necessarily, I have been away for 8 years and am finding it incredibly easy to fit right back in. Little has changed as far as I can see. Sounds like OP has visited a lot and liked it when back so I think he has an excellent chance of finding it quite easy to settle back especially if he can find a job quickly. Good luck OP.
Old Dec 7th 2012, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone,
Good to hear that the job situation might not be as dire as i envisioned.
As far as my qualifications i have a degree from liverpool university in English and sociology, and a diploma from the Sydney institute in Shanghai for teaching English as a Foreign language. The majority of my work experience here has been in the hospitality industry but i have also worked as a translator for a foreign investment company and the past year have been working for a Chinese relocation company. Ideally i would like to find something that can utilize the skills i have gained over my years here. Thanks for the link miss betty, i will check that out now. And it is good to hear you had no problems settling back in luvwelly, where were you living before? And were there any particular things that took a while getting used to again. I think the quiet is something that i will have a hard time with at first, every time i go back home i dont sleep properly as its so quiet compared to China where there is something going on 24/7.