Moving Back To The UK?

Old Jan 3rd 2021, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Back To The UK?

Habitual Residence Test is I think for certain benefits and for access to housing. Right to use NHs is not affected by this rule.

Using the NHS when you return to live in the UK - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

What is the Habitual Residence Test? - Turn2us

Lots more if you google. To confuse us further, Tax Law uses "ordinarily resident" but that has a different meaning.
The whole area is a minefield for the unwary. Many years ago I spent some time advising on "Welfare Rights" and saw so many cases of what happens when people get poor advice.

Last edited by scot47; Jan 3rd 2021 at 9:02 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2021, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Habitual Residence Test is I think for certain benefits and for access to housing. Right to use NHs is not affected by this rule.

Using the NHS when you return to live in the UK - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

What is the Habitual Residence Test? - Turn2us

Lots more if you google. To confuse us further, Tax Law uses "ordinarily resident" but that has a different meaning.
The whole area is a minefield for the unwary. Many years ago I spent some time advising on "Welfare Rights" and saw so many cases of what happens when people get poor advice.
Below is what Citizen Advice says :

"It’s up to the GP or dentist whether they accept you onto their list of NHS patients.

There are some exceptions to these rules though, for example if you need emergency treatment.

A patient doesn’t need to be “ordinarily resident” in the country to be eligible for NHS primary medical care – this only applies to secondary (hospital) care.

A GP practice may be flexible in deciding whether to accept you as a registered patient and if you're visiting the UK for less than 3 months, they might accept you as a temporary resident. However, there are certain services you might have to pay a fee for. Your residency status is not a determining factor in whether or not to accept you as a registered patient.

Old Jan 7th 2021, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

HelsW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tdrinker
You would have had a credit rating when living in the UK, and will still have one having maintained UK bank accounts and credit cards. Probably a good rating, even if it can (will) be higher once you return and are on the electoral roll. You can be on the electoral roll whilst living overseas, although I don’t know if it would help a credit rating in these circumstances:
https://www.gov.uk/voting-when-abroad

"Voting if you move or live abroad

You can register as an overseas voter if you:

· are a British or eligible Irish citizen

· were registered to vote in the UK within the last 15 years ..."

You may be able to buy a UK home from the US using an expat mortgage, and replace it with a UK mortgage later. To buy a home initially with a UK mortgage, you would need to be UK resident, and have proof of income (normally, a UK job). Speaking to a UK mortgage broker would clarify matters.

Most people - and your situation may be different – would sell their home (and free up equity), move to the UK and into rented accommodation, find a job, search for then buy a house. After moving to the UK, register with a GP, and (further) build a credit rating.

The real issue is whether you want to return to the UK, and the employment opportunities if you do.
Yes, good points. After yesterday we are feeling more that this might be what we want to do, I really appreciate all the advice.