moving back to the UK

Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:24 pm
lex
Just Joined

lex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving back to the UK

Im a u.s. citizen by birth (1969). My father a US citizen by birth. My mother is a UK citizen by birth and still lives there she is remarried and 56 yrs old. I moved to the UK when I was 8 yrs old attended school and came back to the U.S at age 17 to join the US Navy. I have only a few years left in the US Navy before im elidgable for pension. My intentions are to move back to the UK when Im done her. I have no family here that I claim except my daughter who resides with her mother (she has legal custody of her). I want to move back to the UK and reside...

My question is how can I do this and be able to work in the UK to support myself. I used to have a Nat Security number dont know what it is anymore and havent used it in years since I left to join the Navy.

Am I elidgable for Duel Citizenship and can anyone give me any referances.
I spoke to the british embassy and they said its possable and they are going to send the paperwork.. She maid it sound so easy...

Thank you for any experiances or help
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to the UK

Originally Posted by lex
I spoke to the british embassy and they said its possable and they are going to send the paperwork.. She maid it sound so easy...

Yeah, should be, brunt of it, just apply for a passport and your all set, as for NI, should be able to find that when you go to social office or whatever it's called these days

But then, I could be mistaken, and then be corrected...
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lex
Im a u.s. citizen by birth (1969). My father a US citizen by birth. My mother is a UK citizen by birth and still lives there she is remarried and 56 yrs old. I moved to the UK when I was 8 yrs old attended school and came back to the U.S at age 17 to join the US Navy. I have only a few years left in the US Navy before im elidgable for pension. My intentions are to move back to the UK when Im done her. I have no family here that I claim except my daughter who resides with her mother (she has legal custody of her). I want to move back to the UK and reside...

My question is how can I do this and be able to work in the UK to support myself. I used to have a Nat Security number dont know what it is anymore and havent used it in years since I left to join the Navy.

seems to me you already are a dual citizen.
I would call the embassy in Washington / or your local consulate and ask them about renewing your British passport/Nat Ins number. etc etc
Old Sep 16th 2004, 10:53 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I would call the embassy in Washington / or your local consulate and ask them about renewing your British passport/Nat Ins number. etc etc
oh you already did
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

oh you already did
eh?...
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:21 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Bob
eh?...
he already called the embassy
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

He's not already a dual citizen.

Before 1983, British born mothers did not automatically transmit their citizenship to non-UK born children.

Unkless he already has a British citizenship certificate, he's going to need to become a British citizen by registration first. Fortunately for him, the UK government changed the law from 30 April 2003 to allow most of those born overseas to British mothers between 1961 and 1982 to apply now for British citizenship by descent.

He will have to be registered as British before he can get a British passport (that's probably the forms that the Embassy are sending - if not, he will need them). This will likely take a few months and cost a few hundred dollars.

Jeremy
Old Sep 16th 2004, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by JAJ

Before 1983, British born mothers did not automatically transmit their citizenship to non-UK born children.
Ouch...not quite as easy as I thought...but still darn sight easier than the states
Old Sep 17th 2004, 2:33 am
Just Joined

dagntate is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ

Unkless he already has a British citizenship certificate, he's going to need to become a British citizen by registration first. Fortunately for him, the UK government changed the law from 30 April 2003 to allow most of those born overseas to British mothers between 1961 and 1982 to apply now for British citizenship by descent.

He will have to be registered as British before he can get a British passport (that's probably the forms that the Embassy are sending - if not, he will need them). This will likely take a few months and cost a few hundred dollars.

Jeremy
hey..this all news to me, im a uk mother, with 2 sons born in the us. (born in 2001 & 2002) We still live in the US. Does this mean both my sons have dual citizenship, Im hoping Ive got this right....
Old Sep 17th 2004, 10:38 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dagntate
hey..this all news to me, im a uk mother, with 2 sons born in the us. (born in 2001 & 2002) We still live in the US. Does this mean both my sons have dual citizenship, Im hoping Ive got this right....
Yes, almost certainly, assuming that you are a British citizen "otherwise than by descent" (i.e. because you were born in the UK or have been registered or naturalised as a British citizen). If that is the case, then your two sons are almost certainly British citizens by descent as well as being US citizens.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 4:09 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dagntate

I'm in the same boat I know my kids are dual citizens etc but 2 outa three don't have an actual British born overseas birth certificate, do you think it is advisable to get them one? would it be cheaper to get them while i'm residing in the U.k ?
I've never really wanted to spend the cash $400 for two pieces of paper but then i'm kinda wary that maybe grandkids will have trouble staying in britain if that's what they want to do....
Is there an actually time limit on when you can get these certificate or could i just as easliy obtain them yrs from now?
thanks for any advice
Old Sep 18th 2004, 11:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I'm in the same boat I know my kids are dual citizens etc but 2 outa three don't have an actual British born overseas birth certificate, do you think it is advisable to get them one? would it be cheaper to get them while i'm residing in the U.k ?
Firstly you're not being completely clear about what you're talking about. Many British missions overseas do issue 'consular' birth certificates to the children of British citizens born there - however I don't believe this is possible in countries with a high standard of local birth registration. You'll need to check if this is possible in the US - ask the Embassy.

The $400 cost you're referring to sounds like it's for a Certificate of Registration as a British citizen. If you were born or naturalised in the UK, you're their mother, and they were born on or after 1 Jan 1983, then they are *automatically* British citizens. The UK does not issue 'citizenship certificates' to those who are already British and the only way to document their status is going to be through obtaining British passports for them.

This should be done sooner rather than later as sometimes people think their children are British when they're not. If this is discovered early enough it's possible to rectify the problem sometimes by applying for them to be registered as British citizens.

As far as grandkids are concerned, your non-UK born children are British citizens by descent. This means that *their* children will not automatically be British unless:

- they are born *inside* the UK and its territories; or
- they get British citizenship automatically from the other parent

It is possible in some cases to register such a child as British. Start at this page to get an idea of the rules (eligibility and time limits) for registration:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...izenship.html?

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 18th 2004 at 11:14 am.
Old Sep 19th 2004, 6:05 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The $400 cost you're referring to sounds like it's for a Certificate of Registration as a British citizen.

......... the only way to document their status is going to be through obtaining British passports for them.
Thanks Jeremy, you're right it's a certificate of registration my eldest has
so rather than go to the expense of obtaining these for my other two you reckon a british passport is best?
I'm considering moving back to U.k for good and have been adivised by U.K consulate to have kids on U.S passports but won't we then have trouble when we arrive and i claim that we are gonna stay for good? I'm i suppose to use U.S passports when leaving the U.s but show U.k when we arrive to U.k is this legal?....getting confused ..advice welcome
Old Sep 19th 2004, 6:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel
I'm considering moving back to U.k for good and have been adivised by U.K consulate to have kids on U.S passports but won't we then have trouble when we arrive and i claim that we are gonna stay for good? I'm i suppose to use U.S passports when leaving the U.s but show U.k when we arrive to U.k is this legal?....getting confused ..advice welcome
Yes, I believe that's what your supposed to do, or have read what people that have both passports do, but then I could be wrong, so would like to know as well
Old Sep 19th 2004, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, I believe that's what your supposed to do, or have read what people that have both passports do, but then I could be wrong, so would like to know as well

Hello....

I believe what you are talking about is someone with both US and UK passports using the UK passport to leave USA and enter UK, then using the USA passport to leave UK and enter USA.... Basically it's to avoid the screening on arrival as citizens join a different line to go through passport control...... No visa entry checks etc......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.