Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

moving back to UK [electronics]

moving back to UK [electronics]

Old Nov 19th 2016, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

nhgeordie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving back to UK [electronics]

Hello again, and many thanks again for the help provided previously.

My question today is this:
We have multiple electronics to take home Laptop, Kindles, Tablet, DVD Player. I don't think the TVs will travel well so we'll forget them for now. This leads to the question, Would UK adaptors like those you get for holidays do to keep them running please.
We live in an apartment complex and I don't want people wandering about and their kids grabbing stuff so I'd rather take it with me than try to sell them.

Thanks Jim

Old Nov 19th 2016, 9:16 pm
Aoi
Forum Regular

Aoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond reputeAoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving back to UK [electronics]

Equipment should only be plugged in to the mains if it is rated for the supply voltage, which in the UK has been nominally 230 V 50 Hz since harmonization in the EU. Each mains powered equipment should have the input voltage and frequency shown on it. For example, a laptop power supply will be suitable for UK mains voltage if the label shows: INPUT: 100-240 V ~ 50-60 HZ
In addition it should have the CE mark to show that the product complies with EU safety, health and environmental requirements:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ce-marking

A Kindle can be charged through a USB cable.
Most DVD players are locked to zone of the country in which they are sold :
Zone 1: US, Canada
Zone 2: Europe, etc.
Zone 3: etc.
A US DVD player will not play discs from another zone unless it is Zone 0 (region free) or can be "unlocked". A Zone 1 player is needed to play DVDs from the US.
Old Nov 20th 2016, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

As a rule, Oz aplliances work in the UK, you just change the plug.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

We will be bringing almost all our electronics. Just check the voltage requirements for each device. Things like alarm clocks, electric toothbrushes etc almost certainly not dual voltage. I already have some electronics in the UK, with UK plugs attached (e.g. Apple TV, PC docking station), and the rest we'll bring over in January when we finish clearing our apartment.

We are even bringing over our Laz-y-Boy recliners since they are also rated dual voltage.
Old Nov 21st 2016, 6:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You should not rely on adapters, they are great for short-term use, such as holidays, but are not a safe long-term alternative to replacing the plug or buying a new power cord (for things like TV, hifi gear, and computers with a detachable power cord).
Old Nov 23rd 2016, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

As others have said, if the appliance is rated for 240V, it's a matter of changing the plug, or in the case or a kindle or tablet, the 'plug' is the charger. Essentially all things of this sort are dual voltage these days.

We use an electronic toothbrush plugged into the '120V' side of the shaver point in the en-suite. Works just fine.

one of my DVD players is dual voltage, and also multi-region. I just changed the power cord. My TV is also dual voltage, so I changed the plug and bought a Freeview box when we came back 5+ years ago. That also works fine, and the HD picture is better than it was in the US - go figure.

(our La-z-Boy recliners are manual, but one has gone to the US from the UK, and back to the UK 11 years later. :-) ...just because we love it.)
Old Nov 24th 2016, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
As a rule, Oz aplliances work in the UK, you just change the plug.
A quick top tip (for the terminally lazy, like me) is to buy a 'plug board' from the country you are leaving, that way you only need one adaptor (obviously only works for 'static' appliances).

Then over time you can either change the plug, or do what we did, wait for it to die and replace with a local bought option.

Forgot to add, we have a couple of these. Bloody brilliant both on holiday and around the house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Syncwire-Ch...2DM8HP6DZ95HW3

Last edited by Tr1boy; Nov 24th 2016 at 9:10 am.