Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back from Toronto to the UK

Moving back from Toronto to the UK

Old Feb 28th 2021, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

nicola_p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back from Toronto to the UK

I know there’s many chats about this but the ones I can find are older so I’m hoping I can get some input now. My hubby and I have been living in Toronto for 10 years we came when we were 26 and 30 and have had some great times and really hard times too. My husband has struggled to make guy friends in the city because they don’t really get his banter style humour and generally it’s just been harder for him. Having said that he has still enjoyed life here as it brings other aspects of life which he and I enjoy, the sport, the access to the states, the food, the summers...I have a good job, we bought a tiny but great apartment downtown and honestly I think as far as cities go this one is really pretty (our apartment is right on the lake) Recently our parents have had some struggles with their health and we have just started talking about what life could be for us if we moved back, family and friends...but we are so worried that job wise we wouldn’t be able to make the good level of income we do here, it’s not all about money of course but it is about having the money to still have a good quality of life. I would love to hear from people that have made the move home, do you miss Canada? Do you feel that you made the right choice? I know that we can come back to Canada if it doesn’t work out, but I don’t want to keep ‘starting again’ it’s not easy! Thanks 🙏

Last edited by nicola_p; Feb 28th 2021 at 1:42 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2021, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in southampton, but now live in Milton Ontario.
peterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura aboutpeterroulston has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Moving back from Toronto to the UK

Hi Nicola
Thanks for the post, I haven't got any advise, as we are in the same situation, have been here since 2009, and are both looking
to retire in a few years, like your husband I have had trouble making guy friends, must be an English humour thing.
So just to let you know you're not the only one going through this, I think covid has made things worst, but even without it I thnk we'd still
be planning on heading back to the UK.

Best wishes

Peter Roulston.
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

nicola_p is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back from Toronto to the UK

Thank you Peter! I hope if you decide to head back home that you enjoy it and it all goes smoothly!

all the best
Nicky