Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back random questions

Moving back random questions

Old Dec 6th 2009, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future
Default Moving back random questions

Hi, I'm british and was born in london and left when i was 5 years old.
I'm now wanting to go back and live there for at least a few years.

I'm wondering what I need to worry about in terms of medical / getting a drivers license (I have none currently) and setting myself up over there.

I've got accommodation at my grandmothers house and I'm not sure if I need this but I have plenty of family in the UK if i need references or whatever?

Anyway, I assume that it's going to be hard for me to obtain a drivers license and bank accounts etc as I haven't lived there for ages.

I'm planning on coming back to England from Australia, if that makes any difference.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:54 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back random questions

Originally Posted by Cuppa10

I'm wondering what I need to worry about in terms of medical / getting a drivers license (I have none currently) and setting myself up over there.

Anyway, I assume that it's going to be hard for me to obtain a drivers license and bank accounts etc as I haven't lived there for ages.

I'm planning on coming back to England from Australia, if that makes any difference.
Do you have a UK passport?

If you're entitled to an Australian driving licence, then get one to take back. You can use it for a while and it'll be easy to convert to a UK one.

If you have assets, I think you can open an HSBC account in Australia and then it'll be easy to open one in the UK.

Best I can do.

Bev
Old Dec 6th 2009, 11:34 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

I've got accommodation at my grandmothers house and I'm not sure if I need this but I have plenty of family in the UK if i need references or whatever?

Try starting here - you'll find a wealth of information on that site.
Old Dec 6th 2009, 2:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You can move back with a British passport. But if you are not an Australian citizen, you may have problems returning to Australia a few years later.

NHS : you're eligible as soon as you take up residence.

Banking : as others have said, try HSBC, or open an account in the Isle of Man where they are more used to dealing with those outside the UK.

Driving licence : http://www.dvla.gov.uk
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Cuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant futureCuppa10 has a brilliant future

Thanks guys I've mailed the [email protected]
We aim to reply to emails within 20 working days:
Old Dec 8th 2009, 5:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys I've mailed the [email protected]

And asked what?
Old Dec 8th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

How long I need to live in the UK before I can get a license.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Any idea what it takes to become a resident in GB?

I got this reply which is helpful and quite thorough, but I really dont know what it takes to be 'resident'.

I mean If i go over there for the purpose of living and not a short holiday and immediately live with my grandmother does that count as being resident immediately or is there some kind of time period to become resident.

(Although I realise as soon as i AM resident there is no time limit from that point.)

I must first point out that we can only issue a Great British (GB) driving licence to a person who is resident in Great Britain (GB).

Once residency is determined, an individual may apply for a British provisional driving licence with a view of taking and passing a driving test in order to gain full entitlement.

There is no requirement to be resident in GB for any set amount of time before applying for a driving licence.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:51 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a UKC and move back permanently, you are a resident as soon as you get there.
Theres been some talk of a residency test being asked by some hospitals for treatment, but if you move back, get a job, get a provisional license to learn to drive, get a bank account and onto the electoral role, you are living there right?
Old Dec 10th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If you are a UKC and move back permanently, you are a resident as soon as you get there.
Theres been some talk of a residency test being asked by some hospitals for treatment, but if you move back, get a job, get a provisional license to learn to drive, get a bank account and onto the electoral role, you are living there right?
Ah cool.. makes sense.

I thought there may have been a 180day period or something but maybe I'm thinking of tax or something.

Thanks for your help guys and girls. I appreciate it.