Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back next Summer. School application Fiasco

Moving back next Summer. School application Fiasco

Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving back next Summer. School application Fiasco

Originally Posted by reeni
I called the schools directly too, spoke with the head teacher, asked if they had places etc. Amazingly helpful. They told me that they would deal with the LEA just pop in when we got there, and we'd be fine.
I see you guys are back and forward...cant decide decide which country to live in?
Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I see you guys are back and forward...cant decide decide which country to live in?
lols...don't let my hubby hear you say that

I emigrated when i was 5 with my parents (visited UK often), then i went back as an adult with a hubby and 2 kids, had another when i was over there and lots of bad things happened. I got very depressed and wanted to be near my mom and family (the ones that came to canada in 1976). So up we pulled and came back to Canada. About a year back in Canada I slowly came to my senses and realized that I had forced a move from the UK because of my emotions and not good sense. We have been back in Canada for 4 years now, 3 years ago I realized it was not where I wanted to be. Things have not been horrible since we have been here, there has been some problems just normal day to day things. The kids have been saying the same as me for a little bit. But Hubby is not the type to handle change well. But he is coming around.

The thought that has been bouncing around my head lately and i have been poking it and prodding it, discussing it with my mom, is that I am British.
Sounds simple right?
I have 2 sisters - one born in UK like me and one born in Canada, but both of them are very Canadian, I never really fit in- in Canada, But I did in the UK, when i looked past all the bad things.
My Mom has lived in Canada since 1976 and she still loves lots of britishisms and things, but she loves Canada too. My Dad (the typical grumpy old Yorkshireman) would never go back to the UK.

So - this time it will be the last ping pong ever. I will be able to see my gran hopefully before she passes away and I can bury her with my grandad. I will be able to travel in later years with my hubby and afford it. Our family trips will be affordable and things we like. We just fit better over there.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by reeni
lols...don't let my hubby hear you say that

I emigrated when i was 5 with my parents (visited UK often), then i went back as an adult with a hubby and 2 kids, had another when i was over there and lots of bad things happened. I got very depressed and wanted to be near my mom and family (the ones that came to canada in 1976). So up we pulled and came back to Canada. About a year back in Canada I slowly came to my senses and realized that I had forced a move from the UK because of my emotions and not good sense. We have been back in Canada for 4 years now, 3 years ago I realized it was not where I wanted to be. Things have not been horrible since we have been here, there has been some problems just normal day to day things. The kids have been saying the same as me for a little bit. But Hubby is not the type to handle change well. But he is coming around.

The thought that has been bouncing around my head lately and i have been poking it and prodding it, discussing it with my mom, is that I am British.
Sounds simple right?
I have 2 sisters - one born in UK like me and one born in Canada, but both of them are very Canadian, I never really fit in- in Canada, But I did in the UK, when i looked past all the bad things.
My Mom has lived in Canada since 1976 and she still loves lots of britishisms and things, but she loves Canada too. My Dad (the typical grumpy old Yorkshireman) would never go back to the UK.

So - this time it will be the last ping pong ever. I will be able to see my gran hopefully before she passes away and I can bury her with my grandad. I will be able to travel in later years with my hubby and afford it. Our family trips will be affordable and things we like. We just fit better over there.
Yes..I think for the kids sake you really have to stop to ping pong
I know how hard it is to decide for one country, I'm German but the rest is British, so we decided that England would be best and I don't mind.

Hubby has a Canadian Mum living in NI and a sister living in Canada..we went once out of interest to Ontario, but even it was volley it was not for us..I just like Europe
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spudton
After 3 years on assignment, we will move back to the UK summer 2011. Despite the fact that I own a house in southampton and have a letter from my giant multinational employer confirming I will be returning, the local education authority would not allow us to apply for a school place for our son who will be eligible for reception year (5 years old).
I found a reference in the governments 'school application code' which states that as british citizens, we have the right to apply for a place. After quoting this to the LEA , here is their response.....

"There is no problem in your making an application. The issue is your address and timing of application. The applications for September 2011 start in reception class close on 15 January 2011, At that time you children will be living in France. The distance from home to school – for any school in Southampton – will be massive and you would be unlikely to get a place at any school. The demand for places is expected to be very high and most schools will be oversubscribed. We will only take your Southampton address after you have moved into it. This is the policy we apply to al applicants."

So my question is, does anyone have any advice, failing that, a gun?
Hi, a bit of advice needed (sorry not able to give) since reading your post. We too are planning to be back home in time for start of school next Sept. Should we have applied by now?
We are wanting to be back where we started and my eldest back in her old school. We no longer have a house there, but can you not be a bit naughty and get a friend to arrange "rental" in their house to secure a place. I'm already stressing about it as i have 3 kids to put in and really want them in the same school as previous. I could put a call in to the school, they will remember us, plus we will have 3 of my kids cousins in the school.

Not sure where to start with it all.
Hope you managed to get your situation sorted, its a bit daft you have a house, yet still won't let you apply.
Any advice appreciated.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

Phone the school.

In my opinion, it would be a bad idea to start with some kind of deliberate scam to bend the rules. They do insist on seeing proper documentation to confirm your address - lots of people try to get into certain schools under false pretences every year and they're wise to it. If you get found out, at some point in the future, then they can exclude your child.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

We were in the same position we returned from the US in August 2008 I called our LEA prior to return and was told the same thing, I couldnt apply for a school place until I was in the UK, we also kept our house while in the US. So I had to start the process when I returned which was a nightmare as it was summer holidays for the Schools. Our LEA could only offer us a place at a school 12 miles away, our local school which is around the corner from our house was full and offered to put my daughter on the waiting list. In the end I started calling other schools nearby, the schools are so helpful and a lot less complicated than dealing with the LEA, I eventually found a place 3 days before the start of term at a really good school 2 miles up the road.

Call the schools directly when you return.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spudton
After 3 years on assignment, we will move back to the UK summer 2011. Despite the fact that I own a house in southampton and have a letter from my giant multinational employer confirming I will be returning, the local education authority would not allow us to apply for a school place for our son who will be eligible for reception year (5 years old).
I found a reference in the governments 'school application code' which states that as british citizens, we have the right to apply for a place. After quoting this to the LEA , here is their response.....

"There is no problem in your making an application. The issue is your address and timing of application. The applications for September 2011 start in reception class close on 15 January 2011, At that time you children will be living in France. The distance from home to school – for any school in Southampton – will be massive and you would be unlikely to get a place at any school. The demand for places is expected to be very high and most schools will be oversubscribed. We will only take your Southampton address after you have moved into it. This is the policy we apply to al applicants."

So my question is, does anyone have any advice, failing that, a gun?
We applied for our two sons while we lived in Aus...I contacted the colleges/uni's directly and spoke to the Head....they said we were fine and just to enrol (with college) when we arrived and Uni were great...had to apply through UCAS but no trouble there either our son was grated a place at his chosen Uni and starts in a couple of weeks.....we were told all kinds of things about the LEA but for us they have been okay and no problems....good luck and hope all goes well.....I knew of a couple who used their friends address in the area they wanted their children to go to....they also now attend that school
Old Sep 10th 2010, 11:04 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving back next Summer. School application Fiasco

Originally Posted by pinkkristen

We are wanting to be back where we started and my eldest back in her old school. We no longer have a house there, but can you not be a bit naughty and get a friend to arrange "rental" in their house to secure a place.
Any advice appreciated.

Not a good idea....!

http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk...l/article.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8334503.stm

This may be of interest:

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/manage...oice-3245.aspx

Good Luck!