Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to Newcastle from Calgary

Moving back to Newcastle from Calgary

Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Moving back to Newcastle from Calgary

I didnt last very long did i haha. Well we had a great time here in Calgary,but we have decided to go back home.Not because of anything bad,we,re just homesick.
My 16 year old had a hard time settling and broke down crying,he begged me to let him go home to his mates and a job that he has lined up.
Then my husband joined in aswell
He failed his red seal exam and was sick of being like an apprentice out here when hes got 25 years experience. He used to earn more at home plus got a lot of cash jobs at weekends.
We also find evrything really expensive....kids soccer was $500 each for the summer and then the school fees and then winter soccer fees
Was driving OH crazy.
Im not over the moon to be going home after all the up heavel and expense but i want to keep my family together so what can you do
Ive made some amazing friends here, especially off the forum and im gonna miss them alot.
I will still come on the forum now and then to offer any advice i can and to let you all know how we get on in Newcastle.
Thanks for all the help and advice this last year and lots of luck to all of you

Mandi Moo xx
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:55 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to Newcastle from Calgary

good you found it and now lots of peeps in a similar situation will be on here to wish you well....cheers
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to beholdmandi moo is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: Moving back to Newcastle from Calgary

Originally Posted by TruBrit
good you found it and now lots of peeps in a similar situation will be on here to wish you well....cheers
Thanks Hun,its a big help to know im not the only one
Old Aug 21st 2007, 8:59 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandi moo
Thanks Hun,its a big help to know im not the only one
nahh... you're not the first and i bet you wont be the last some will be envious of you coz you are in a position where you can return.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TruBrit
nahh... you're not the first and i bet you wont be the last some will be envious of you coz you are in a position where you can return.
Its been hard as hell.We have had to sell all our furniture and scrimp and scrape to get the money together. I have to rent a home and live with my sister till we find something. Its harder going back than it is coming here coz you lose so much money with the exchange.Then the removals double in price to go back which i found crazy :curse:
Anyone planning to go home....start saving

Mandi xx
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Its been hard as hell.We have had to sell all our furniture and scrimp and scrape to get the money together. I have to rent a home and live with my sister till we find something. Its harder going back than it is coming here coz you lose so much money with the exchange.Then the removals double in price to go back which i found crazy :curse:
Anyone planning to go home....start saving

Mandi xx
Hi Mandi,
Just like you I am heading back to UK (Newcastle in fact) leave a week on Friday Sadly though, I don't want to go as it is my OH who hasn't settled here.
Luckly or unluckly we kept our house in the uk (rented it out) so thats not to much of an issue but we have sold all our stuff here and just sending boxes back to save some cash for when we get back therefore allowing us to buy everything we need instead of hanging around for 3 months or longer!!

It is an expensive process but at least you can say you tried which is a hell of a lot more than others have done.

How long have you been there? We only arrived 8th February so we weren't here very long.
Anyway keep in touch we may get to catch up back in sunny Newcastle

Lynne x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Lynne,wow we have alot in common then.We only arrived in March and its my OH and son that want to go home,i love it here.
All the reasons we left are still there and its so laid back here with loads to do at weekends.The mountains etc are amazing,you,ll never find anything that compares to it in Newcastle.
Who did you use to ship boxes over? Im having a hard time deciding what to take and what to leave.Ive sold the settee and tables but cant sell my bedroom set yet.
I leave tomorrow but OH follows in 2 weeks.He broke his wrist so has to wait till it heals.
Its too laid back when your trying to get home
We have to find a rental aswell yet,they want a huge amount down which is a nightmare.
Happy days eh?
Hope it all goes well for you.
Mandi x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lynne,wow we have alot in common then.We only arrived in March and its my OH and son that want to go home,i love it here.
All the reasons we left are still there and its so laid back here with loads to do at weekends.The mountains etc are amazing,you,ll never find anything that compares to it in Newcastle.
Who did you use to ship boxes over? Im having a hard time deciding what to take and what to leave.Ive sold the settee and tables but cant sell my bedroom set yet.
I leave tomorrow but OH follows in 2 weeks.He broke his wrist so has to wait till it heals.
Its too laid back when your trying to get home
We have to find a rental aswell yet,they want a huge amount down which is a nightmare.
Happy days eh?
Hope it all goes well for you.
Mandi x
Good luck for tomorrow Mandi. Its a nightmare as well but it has to be done. You never know once they get back they might have a change of heart. Thats what I'm hoping my OH will do.

Good luck with it all and hope you get your rental sorted soon. Have you decided where you want to go back to?
Lynne x
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mick69
Good luck for tomorrow Mandi. Its a nightmare as well but it has to be done. You never know once they get back they might have a change of heart. Thats what I'm hoping my OH will do.

Good luck with it all and hope you get your rental sorted soon. Have you decided where you want to go back to?
Lynne x
My family are from Longbenton and thats where the kids schools are.Im looking at a house in Gosforth on Saturday and one in Foresthall which are both pretty close.
Let me know how you get on.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:29 pm
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point

My family are from Longbenton and thats where the kids schools are.Im looking at a house in Gosforth on Saturday and one in Foresthall which are both pretty close.
Let me know how you get on.
hi there,
it might help you to know that there's quite a few houses for sale in the longbenton estate to the immediate east of four lane ends bus/metro station (between four lane ends and staithes avenue). i've been living in that area for 6 months now and find it's good value for money. there's still 3 bed 1950s excouncil houses to snap up for 130000£.
hope this helps?

best regards,
ralph.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bassman578
hi there,
it might help you to know that there's quite a few houses for sale in the longbenton estate to the immediate east of four lane ends bus/metro station (between four lane ends and staithes avenue). i've been living in that area for 6 months now and find it's good value for money. there's still 3 bed 1950s excouncil houses to snap up for 130000£.
hope this helps?

best regards,
ralph.
Thankyou
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:59 pm
Anglophile Scientist

bassman578 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou
you're very welcome! i didn't know newcastle very well before buying in longbenton but am glad enough to have bought east of benton lane... west of there can be a bit ... well ... dodgy, to stay diplomatic.

my neighbour's kid is well known by police though... they come by for him every couple weeks. hum! otherwise the area is quiet and pleasant. even the yob is nice to his neighbours...

somehow i feel safer than in crazy cleveland, ohio, though. driving from our suburb shaker heights to any downtown location meant driving through cleveland's worst ghettos. newcastle is better . no need to pass through the west-end/fenham or byker/walker unless you really need to.

best wishes for your return!
ralph.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Haha,im from Longbenton,born and bred so i can totaly relate to what you are saying.
We,re not in a position to buy just yet so we are looking for rentals.Got 4 to look at already on saturday but they want 2 1/2 months rent up front,crazy people.
Let you know how we get on.
Mandi
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Mandi,another adventure to encounter
Have a safe trip home.
Yoong
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

Goodluck Mandi.

We are moving on Sept 19th. House is sold and furniture on it's way out aswell. Just need to finda moving company now.

Wish you all the best. And congratulations on giving it a try.

Nikki