Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back, maybe Warrington

Moving back, maybe Warrington

Old Oct 10th 2016, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back, maybe Warrington

Originally Posted by spideyo
Hi people we are moving back to the UK and we are thinking about moving to Warrington due to some family being there, does anybody have any useful hints about Warrington is it a good place to live and what areas would people suggest have been thinking of Westbrook or Callands. Any information people can help us with would be great.

Cheers John
You probably need to ask yourself what you want???
Ok, you have family in Warrington but would it be tragic to be 1 or 2 hours away and certainly won't be as far as NZ? No longer in the UK myself but Wales seemed really nice when we drove through early this year.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Guys we are in the wairarapa area, any advice is great will take a look at the areas suggested.

Hi,

If your main reason to move is to be near family then the North West is where you will be returning to, I would not personally live in Warrington but there are still nice areas nearby, it does depend on budget. Stockton Heath has a nice feel to it, Appleton which is nearer to the M56, Lymm also has a small village feel about it, Birchwood is being "sold" on it being an up and coming area. Frodsham on the otherside of the M56 is nice and near to Chester. Stretton, Grappenhall and Culcheth are nice areas. You could always look on the Wirral and areas near to Chester. The NW does have tons to offer. Good luck
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Every time I see this thread it makes me feel homesick.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,
If your main reason to move is to be near family then the North West is where you will be returning to, I would not personally live in Warrington but there are still nice areas nearby, it does depend on budget. Stockton Heath has a nice feel to it, Appleton which is nearer to the M56, Lymm also has a small village feel about it, Birchwood is being "sold" on it being an up and coming area. Frodsham on the otherside of the M56 is nice and near to Chester. Stretton, Grappenhall and Culcheth are nice areas. You could always look on the Wirral and areas near to Chester. The NW does have tons to offer. Good luck
And bear in mind that you will have more free time if you are ten minutes from your workplace and half an hour from family as contrasted with ten minutes from family and half an hour from the workplace.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Every time I see this thread it makes me feel homesick.
I think Gemini M&S when I see it .
Mention of Grappenhall brought back memories of doing my ballet and tap exams in a cold church hall. Happy days!
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:18 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

My sister and her family have lived in Warrington (Birchwood) for 30+ years. She was a high school teacher/deputy head in Warrington for 30 years. 4 years ago they moved to Culcheth. My husband was born and grew up in Runcorn and dislikes the whole area. Much of Warrington/Runcorn/Widnes is run down but a lot has been done to revitalize the area. I don't care for Warrington myself but some of the newer areas and villages around the town are ok. It is very conveniently situated...M6/M56/M62...and Manchester airport. We lived in Chester before moving to the US...I love Chester and the surrounding villages.
Hello JG - which school did your sister work in? I worked in Warrington '82 - '01
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:22 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi people we are moving back to the UK and we are thinking about moving to Warrington due to some family being there, does anybody have any useful hints about Warrington is it a good place to live and what areas would people suggest have been thinking of Westbrook or Callands. Any information people can help us with would be great.

Cheers John
I lived in Warrington '82 - '13

Easier to answer your question if we knew:
1) What kind of area you want - Urban, Suburban, semi-rural, rural
2) What kind of local area - modern housing, more established/older
3) What type/size house - 2 bed terrace or 5 bed mansion?
4) Million dollar question (almost literally) how much do you have to spend.

Happy to give advice if I know the above
Old Oct 21st 2016, 8:26 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi,

Birchwood - 'up and coming'? it was a vibrant growing new town in the early 80's but wouldn't say that now. Many areas are quite dire and depressingly 'grey'

It has a wide range of social housing from large modern detached for the business person (Gorse Covert) to crappy little estates with drugs problems (Oakwood). I wouldn't live there. The High School gets lots of plaudits but has big behaviour problems and revolves very much around trying to cater for the worst pupils - IMHO
Old Oct 21st 2016, 11:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Hello JG - which school did your sister work in? I worked in Warrington '82 - '01
It's in a K message.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:00 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

It's in a K message.
What's a K message? I have looked at my private messages and nothing there
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

What's a K message? I have looked at my private messages and nothing there
Hit the My Profile tab at the top left hand side of this page. Scroll down and you will see Karma messages.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 12:18 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Got it.

I lived in that area at one time, but worked in 2 other schools in Warrington.

I knew some of the staff at the school you mention.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Birchwood - 'up and coming'? it was a vibrant growing new town in the early 80's but wouldn't say that now. Many areas are quite dire and depressingly 'grey'

It has a wide range of social housing from large modern detached for the business person (Gorse Covert) to crappy little estates with drugs problems (Oakwood). I wouldn't live there. The High School gets lots of plaudits but has big behaviour problems and revolves very much around trying to cater for the worst pupils - IMHO
Yes I know about Birchwood, to some people though it might be a "step" up, depends on where you are "coming from".
Old Oct 21st 2016, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Just avoid Warrington FFS. Most able minded people tend to do so.
It's a horrendous sh*thole.
There I've said it.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

MattHK88 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do I put this? Warrington is where spend from birth until 2012... it's a bit of a dump when you've travelled or worked abroad. We've travelled Asia and Australia/NZ before working in HK, and Warrington is now a little underwhelming.

There are nicer areas are over the river,e.g. Stockton Heath, Appleton, etc., which are nicer than the rest of the town. However, parts of the town can aren't that nice to live or even drive through. When we head back to see family, it seems that the only difference is a new retail park or housing estate. Oh, and the weather is typical NW English weather, i.e. rainy.

That said, we might be returning due to kids and wanting them to be close to family. Thus, Warrington/Appleton is our choice.

It's not all bad though. Shopping is good for a town and commuting is easy because of the motorways. However, if a motorway has a severe crash, expect the whole town to stop moving. Schools in the nicer areas are also well-rated and there are plenty of pubs, especially if you venture into the Cheshire countryside.

Overall, if I didn't have family in the area would I move back? Well. Not a chance. Are there worse places to live? Yes. Surrounding towns to name a few.

If you can handle a longer drive to see family, then Cheshire or Lancashire might be better.

For your reading you look at the following links... mixed data... the first is an old story though.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/6761766/Warrington-is-ranked-at-bottom-of-Government-backed-quality-of-life-survey.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246111/Fancy-bit-culture-Definitely-don-t-Warrington-NO-listed-parks-NO-areas-natural-beauty-NO-battlefields-historical-ships-not-nice-old-pubs.html

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/11075009.Lymm_and_Warrington_among_top_10_best_pla ces_to_live_in_north_west_and_top_101_in_the_count ry/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.