Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back - leaving schools, rental, shipping. Logistics.

Moving back - leaving schools, rental, shipping. Logistics.

Old Apr 10th 2010, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice
Red face Re: Moving back - leaving schools, rental, shipping. Logistics.

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds great a big family adventure.
Our youngest is also adopted from the foster care system I did the paperwork MN1 if I remember right for Dd to have a UK passport and registered her as a British citizen. It's different than if they were born to you
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...ritishcitizen/

Thank you for that info. Do you or anyone have any information on subsidies? However small it is I receive a subsidy for my children until the age of 18, or 20 if they are in college. Would I be able to have this transfered with me to the UK. Right now it is not paid into my bank account. They prefer to send it by check via the postal service. Any info at all would be gratefully received. tiamobrit1
Old Apr 10th 2010, 10:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back - leaving schools, rental, shipping. Logistics.

Originally Posted by tiamobrit1
Thank you for that info. Do you or anyone have any information on subsidies? However small it is I receive a subsidy for my children until the age of 18, or 20 if they are in college. Would I be able to have this transfered with me to the UK. Right now it is not paid into my bank account. They prefer to send it by check via the postal service. Any info at all would be gratefully received. tiamobrit1
We get AAP for youngest Dd, no ides if it would be paid automatically if we move out of the country, I know they will pay if we move within the US, a call to your adoption assistance worker may get some answers, but if the little one isn't final yet I don't think I'd want to rock the boat.
Don't forget in UK you'll get child benefit too.
http://www.child-benefit.org.uk/whatischildbenefit.html
Old Apr 11th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by darrens1
Many thanks for your prompt response. I hope that everything works out for you when you get back into the swing of things hear in the UK. Bloody cold at the moment though. What career are you in ? Whats the status with regard employment ?. Are immigrants regarded as second class citizens and therfore second option or do they look at qualifications experience etc. Any areas to stay away from whilst in Perth. Any advise would be more than welcome.
If you are mining or a tradie you will be fine. I work in marketing and Perth is quite a small pond
Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Location: Lancashire - Vic, Oz - hopefully Yorkshire or Devon
Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Basil Brush , I live in South Carolina US , I am from York and hoping to move back there in 2011 with my 5 children , 15,14,12,8 and 3 yrs. i have a nice life here (house car etc) but it is the people I miss and even though my standard of living will be much less in the UK , I know if I don't do it now i will regret it as it may be too late. I wish you well with your move! tiamobrit1
Thanks Tiamobrit1!

York is such a lovely place to visit and I feel that we would quite like to live there. I don't really know which are the better areas of York though - could you give me some pointers as to which areas may be "best to avoid" in & around York or have you been gone for that long that you have lost touch with the good and bad areas? Any advice really would be a big help as we really have no idea!

How does your 15 year old feel about moving back as he/she will be 16 by next year - how does the transition between U.S and U.K education work?

We have just spent time with some visitors from the UK and all the compliments about the Aus weather & the lovely spacious houses make you second guess your decision making processes for a second or two, but I'm just telling myself that there's more to life than a big house and hot and dry weather. Having said that the visitors did talk about how expensive it has become in Aus (this is their 4th trip here) and also what a sleepy place it tends to be once you've visited a few times and have done most of the major touristy stuff.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

Basil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of lightBasil Brush is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brits1
Ditto some things money,property cannot buy....we are planning a visit to York asap..one of my fav. places in the North...also love Harrogate....all the best with your move.
I was just thinking of you Brits1 and wondering how these last few weeks are going? I am quite envious that you will be off in such a short time

Hope you're feeling okay and that the excitement has kicked in for you!
Old Apr 18th 2010, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

tiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nicetiamobrit1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Basil Brush
Thanks Tiamobrit1!

York is such a lovely place to visit and I feel that we would quite like to live there. I don't really know which are the better areas of York though - could you give me some pointers as to which areas may be "best to avoid" in & around York or have you been gone for that long that you have lost touch with the good and bad areas? Any advice really would be a big help as we really have no idea!

How does your 15 year old feel about moving back as he/she will be 16 by next year - how does the transition between U.S and U.K education work?

We have just spent time with some visitors from the UK and all the compliments about the Aus weather & the lovely spacious houses make you second guess your decision making processes for a second or two, but I'm just telling myself that there's more to life than a big house and hot and dry weather. Having said that the visitors did talk about how expensive it has become in Aus (this is their 4th trip here) and also what a sleepy place it tends to be once you've visited a few times and have done most of the major touristy stuff.
Hi Basil Brush. I used to live in a place called Rawcliffe , which is near Clifton. very nice! Osbaldwick is a nice village , also nice and a village about 8 miles from the town center is Dunnington. All those are sought after areas. I would consider any of them. Places to avoid are Tang hall area, parts of Acomb. Tang Hall is a definate stay away from. The rest of York and surroinding areas are great. I get just the same thing re: the size of houses here and my son really does not want to go, he is the only one out of all my children. I can understand it , he has lots of friends and he has a vehicle here ready when he can drive , so he feels his life will be turned up side down. I also get confused at times and start thinking of the cold windy weather and my car not starting, oh, so many things it is a hard time feeling up and down. You asked about work, if you want to live in York, you may want to commute to Leeds, unless you want to work at York Railway station, or rowntrees chocolate factory (smile) as really there is not a great deal of industry. I am a retired nurse so I am not worried about that aspect. Well I hope I have helped some what. Keep in touch tiamobrit1
Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Basil Brush. I used to live in a place called Rawcliffe , which is near Clifton. very nice! Osbaldwick is a nice village , also nice and a village about 8 miles from the town center is Dunnington. All those are sought after areas. I would consider any of them. Places to avoid are Tang hall area, parts of Acomb. Tang Hall is a definate stay away from. The rest of York and surroinding areas are great. I get just the same thing re: the size of houses here and my son really does not want to go, he is the only one out of all my children. I can understand it , he has lots of friends and he has a vehicle here ready when he can drive , so he feels his life will be turned up side down. I also get confused at times and start thinking of the cold windy weather and my car not starting, oh, so many things it is a hard time feeling up and down. You asked about work, if you want to live in York, you may want to commute to Leeds, unless you want to work at York Railway station, or rowntrees chocolate factory (smile) as really there is not a great deal of industry. I am a retired nurse so I am not worried about that aspect. Well I hope I have helped some what. Keep in touch tiamobrit1
Thanks for your reply!

We have seen a few houses on the web in Acomb so glad you tipped me off that it maybe isn't the best area.

Will your 15 y/o son be going into the education system back in York/Leeds? My son feels the same as yours - he's just got his learners permit in Aus and has a small but nice bunch of friends here. When do you plan to make the move back to the UK?

Yes, will definitely stay in touch

Thanks again.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=tiamobrit1;8505490]Hi Basil Brush. I used to live in a place called Rawcliffe , which is near Clifton. very nice! QUOTE]

Hi again Tiamobrit1,

Only just realised that hubby & I had seen a house on the web in Rawcliffe in the past few weeks. My hubby really liked it but then we realised that there was a caravan park on the same street and we went off the idea as we didn't fancy living close to one. Do you know much about the caravan park Tiamobrit1?

Thanks again BB
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

FrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really niceFrequentFlyer is just really nice

Hi,

Congratulations on making that decision to move back!

I can't be of any help with the school questions as I don't have young children.

When we moved overseas we handed over our rental about a week before leaving, and we moved in to a motel / short stay apartment unit for the last few days, living out of our suitcases. I think it would be too stressful staying in the rental right up to the date when you leave.

As we didn't know where we were going to live in the new country, we also opted to put our furniture in to storage until we found somewhere to live. Storage might be cheaper in the UK - we used to pay about 50 pounds a month storage for half a container of stuff.

Very best of luck with your forthcoming move! I am heading back in September so finishing work soon and taking some time out to tie up loose ends first.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Basil Brush;8506179]
Hi Basil Brush. I used to live in a place called Rawcliffe , which is near Clifton. very nice! QUOTE]

Hi again Tiamobrit1,

Only just realised that hubby & I had seen a house on the web in Rawcliffe in the past few weeks. My hubby really liked it but then we realised that there was a caravan park on the same street and we went off the idea as we didn't fancy living close to one. Do you know much about the caravan park Tiamobrit1?

Thanks again BB
Hi Basil Brush, sorry for the delay in my reply, I can not believe about the caravan park @rawcliffe, it is a sought after area, however I would look into it with the real estate agent. I have been a bit depressed this last few days , very scared about moving, and then i read that article in the Daily Mail, who was denied help. I am going to write today to some places in England in the hope that I might get a little support.(emotional) I am busy sorting out my garage and house ,trying to get rid of stuff and have a yard sale. Still having opposition from my 15 yr old. He is the only one I worry about , the others will adjust great I feel. talk to you later. tiamobrit1.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:31 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=tiamobrit1;8522275]

Hi Basil Brush, sorry for the delay in my reply, I can not believe about the caravan park @rawcliffe, it is a sought after area, however I would look into it with the real estate agent. I have been a bit depressed this last few days , very scared about moving, and then i read that article in the Daily Mail, who was denied help. I am going to write today to some places in England in the hope that I might get a little support.(emotional) I am busy sorting out my garage and house ,trying to get rid of stuff and have a yard sale. Still having opposition from my 15 yr old. He is the only one I worry about , the others will adjust great I feel. talk to you later. tiamobrit1.
Stop reading the daily mail it's enough to depress anyone. All sensationalizing and half stories.
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=tiamobrit1;8522275]

Hey there T1,

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low right now - it's a tough time having to make all those emotional decisions. Just lately, I tend to fall asleep at night thinking about moving back and then wake in the morning thinking about it too....it's a real emotional drain. I don't know about the article in the Daily Mail as I only read the BBC News Online....what was it about? I understand how your 15 year old's reluctance to make the move will be making you feel as I am really suffering from "the guilts" myself right now. Like you say yourself though, the other kids will be fine as they are young enough to settle easily, plus it sounds like you will be happier back there....do you have a big family back in York? If you will be happier and better supported back in York, then your happiness will flow onto the kids and you will all be happier in the long-run....that's what I truly believe anyway.

I read a few things on the BBC news website about the UK yesterday that were a bit shocking but then I read the Herald Sun website for Melbourne and realised there's just as much stuff going on here.....according to the news over the weekend in Melbourne a teenager narrowly escaped being abducted into a car, petrol bombs were thrown at a house in one of Melbournes most exclusive suburbs, a nightclub had a mini-riot outside and a lady's body was found dumped in a carpark....and that's all from Melbourne with a population of around 3.5 million (I think) in 1 weekend. Try not to let the sensationalised stories in the Daily Mail alarm you too much as I think that we need to remember that sadly there are awful things happening in every corner of the globe....it's the way the world is now
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Moving back - leaving schools, rental, shipping. Logistics.

[QUOTE=Basil Brush;8524275]

Hey there T1,

Sorry to hear you're feeling a bit low right now - it's a tough time having to make all those emotional decisions. Just lately, I tend to fall asleep at night thinking about moving back and then wake in the morning thinking about it too....it's a real emotional drain. I don't know about the article in the Daily Mail as I only read the BBC News Online....what was it about? I understand how your 15 year old's reluctance to make the move will be making you feel as I am really suffering from "the guilts" myself right now. Like you say yourself though, the other kids will be fine as they are young enough to settle easily, plus it sounds like you will be happier back there....do you have a big family back in York? If you will be happier and better supported back in York, then your happiness will flow onto the kids and you will all be happier in the long-run....that's what I truly believe anyway.

I read a few things on the BBC news website about the UK yesterday that were a bit shocking but then I read the Herald Sun website for Melbourne and realised there's just as much stuff going on here.....according to the news over the weekend in Melbourne a teenager narrowly escaped being abducted into a car, petrol bombs were thrown at a house in one of Melbournes most exclusive suburbs, a nightclub had a mini-riot outside and a lady's body was found dumped in a carpark....and that's all from Melbourne with a population of around 3.5 million (I think) in 1 weekend. Try not to let the sensationalised stories in the Daily Mail alarm you too much as I think that we need to remember that sadly there are awful things happening in every corner of the globe....it's the way the world is now
Hello, Basil Brush. the news from the daily mail was about a woman , who had left the UK 20 yrs ago to live in Spain, she returned with her small grandson and was turned away from dss, she had to stay in a hostel for homeless people , it should not have bothered me as it sounded like she was out to sponge the system, all the same it was a little disturbing . No I do not have any family in York, (lost in an accident) but here it is so depressing for me , no-one walks anywhere, no footpaths after I walk out of the development, then in summer it is too hot to do anything with the humidity. I feel trapped almost, of course I go out to the park and pool etc, but I am tired of having to drive every where, just like everyone else does. I do not like to judge, but seeing all these half ton butts in bright orange shorts with 6 inch wedgies is getting to me . I just want to go on a nice walk with my dogs and children. Even my eldest say, why have you parked so far from the mall, when I tell them , they say"we have to WALK "!! can't you drop me off at the door. I will be so ready to get back home, next year. talk to you soon. Sylvia t1
Old Apr 28th 2010, 3:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

[QUOTE=tiamobrit1;8525892]

Hello, Basil Brush. the news from the daily mail was about a woman , who had left the UK 20 yrs ago to live in Spain, she returned with her small grandson and was turned away from dss, she had to stay in a hostel for homeless people , it should not have bothered me as it sounded like she was out to sponge the system, all the same it was a little disturbing . No I do not have any family in York, (lost in an accident) but here it is so depressing for me , no-one walks anywhere, no footpaths after I walk out of the development, then in summer it is too hot to do anything with the humidity. I feel trapped almost, of course I go out to the park and pool etc, but I am tired of having to drive every where, just like everyone else does. I do not like to judge, but seeing all these half ton butts in bright orange shorts with 6 inch wedgies is getting to me . I just want to go on a nice walk with my dogs and children. Even my eldest say, why have you parked so far from the mall, when I tell them , they say"we have to WALK "!! can't you drop me off at the door. I will be so ready to get back home, next year. talk to you soon. Sylvia t1
OMG the big butts and the bright shorts and wedgies it must me an American summer uniform, I get sick of seeing that too.
I refuse to wear shorts anymore, I won't subject the public to the sight of my old legs anymore
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=tiamobrit1;8525892]

no-one walks anywhere, no footpaths after I walk out of the development, then in summer it is too hot to do anything with the humidity. I feel trapped almost, of course I go out to the park and pool etc, but I am tired of having to drive every where, just like everyone else does.
Yeah it's a similar thing in Aus in some places (most people drive & you rarely see walkers) but probably not quite as bad as in the U.S. I have noticed that the population over here is starting to get a little wider too, but fortunately I haven't experienced any bright coloured wedgies up til now!!

For me and OH, we are enticed back to the UK by the prospect of being immersed in more culture and history in the UK itself and also the opportunity to travel around Europe as we really love Europe. Sadly the idea of travelling around Aus does not appeal to me in the slightest & never has done. We are simply ready for a change of scenery and a couple of years back in the UK will either prove to us that we should move back permanently or if nothing else will have given us the opportunity to see more of Europe....We can't wait

When are you planning on heading back? We were thinking later this year or early next year, but have again decided that our timing isn't right for our 16 year old who as I said will be 17 when we would have landed back there.

We have come to the conclusion that once he finishes high school in 2.5 yrs, we are definitely going back to the UK for a couple of years. He is planning on going to Uni here in Aus, so it's likely that he'll decide not to join us, so we'll find him a little apartment to rent and will help him out as much as we can with his living costs for the 2 years that we are back. If we then decide to stay in the UK permanently after the 2 years, he'll be 21 by then, so if he still wants to stay in Aus by himself, at least he'll be old enough to make an educated decision. I'd miss him terribly if we lived on opposite sides of the world as we are a very close family, but it's the only way that we can make our situation work for all 3 of us.

What a can of worms we open once we start down the emigration track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.