Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back - how to choose a good school?

Moving back - how to choose a good school?

Old May 11th 2010, 1:13 am
Just Joined

5thtimelucky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back - how to choose a good school?

Hi I am moving back to the UK after 10 years in the US and now have a 9 year old. Anyone have an idea of the best way to find out the best schools to go to - I have job to go to but have no idea what schools are where .....thanks for all your help and advice.
Old May 11th 2010, 2:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back - how to choose a good school?

Start with the local authority and/or the Department of Education. There are so-called "league tables" (of limited value) and OFSTED (inspection) reports, use google etc. to search.

Bear in mind that your "choice" is usually an illusion - the better schools are over-subscribed and as a new resident, you will often find yourself at the back of the line.

You don't say if you're a US citizen or not, if you have a green card instead, then read:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Green_Card_Abandonment
Old May 11th 2010, 8:38 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Ofsted is a good place to start - you can find out sizes of the school, addresses and generally idea of how the school is.

Be aware that the Inspection reports are only a snapshot of the school and it would be better to visit the nearest ones to get a proper feel for the school.

You should call up the local authority and find out your nearest. Then call the schools and ask what the chances are of a space coming up.

Most primary schools are excellent in the UK..it's the secondary's that can be troublesome to choose a good one. But your child is only 9 so he/she has a year or two.

Good luck
Old May 11th 2010, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

aries_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rougharies_bird is a jewel in the rough

As your child only has a couple of years left at primary school, personally I would find a good High school first that you would like your child to go to then work backwards. High schools have entry critereria, which may be that your child lives in a specific catchment area or (as in our case) attends a feeder primary school. Once you know the best High schools and criteria then look at the primary schools which give you the best chance of getting into the High school of your choice a couple of years down the line. The best High school is far more important than the best primary school! Pay more attention to Ofsted reports rather than League Tables which can easily give distorted results.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I found the web site up my street fabulous for schools.
You put your post code in and the see all the schools available incl. the rating and Ofsted reports.

http://www.upmystreet.com/findmynear...&search=Search
Old May 13th 2010, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by manamama
Hi

Ofsted is a good place to start - you can find out sizes of the school, addresses and generally idea of how the school is.

Be aware that the Inspection reports are only a snapshot of the school and it would be better to visit the nearest ones to get a proper feel for the school.

You should call up the local authority and find out your nearest. Then call the schools and ask what the chances are of a space coming up.

Most primary schools are excellent in the UK..it's the secondary's that can be troublesome to choose a good one. But your child is only 9 so he/she has a year or two.

Good luck
I agree with the above. Find the over subscribed senior school and move into the catchment area, but a word of warning we came back from NZ moved into the same very good area we left, my daughter got into the senior school which she had left but my son did not. I have spent 2 years home educating and then he (my 15 year ols son) went to college ( i had to pay the private fees, costing thousands). So schooling is a big issue in the UK. Good Luck