Moving back home

Old Dec 26th 2018, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back home

Hi all,
After 7-8 years of trying to settle here in Ontario I’ve decided to take the plunge and move home, I’ve looked into moving provinces but I think I will still feel the same. I’m here on my own, miss my family being close by, I miss the food more than anything, and I miss the culture! I am currently waiting on my citizenship and then hoping to go home in the late summer early fall of 2019.

Now I need your help...where do I start?! To keep it short, i’ll just bullet point the main subjects I want and need to know more about:

- I have an extra large dog (bull mastiff 120lbs) who is coming with me, approx prices? I used to work in a vet clinic so I know what is required that side
- I have to sell my house before I move, is there anything I need to know about taxes in either Canada or UK before moving?
- is it possible to open a bank account in the uk from here? Or would it be easier to transfer it to family and then sort that out in the UK?
- driving license? I originally had a UK driving license before I moved here, can I get that back or do I have to retake a test?
- renting and jobs will be sorted when I’m home, that’s the least of my worries right now
- is there anything I might not have thought about or might not be aware of in the process of moving home? Financial wise?

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas to all
Old Dec 26th 2018, 5:49 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back home

Originally Posted by mush77
Hi all,
After 7-8 years of trying to settle here in Ontario I’ve decided to take the plunge and move home, I’ve looked into moving provinces but I think I will still feel the same. I’m here on my own, miss my family being close by, I miss the food more than anything, and I miss the culture! I am currently waiting on my citizenship and then hoping to go home in the late summer early fall of 2019.

Now I need your help...where do I start?! To keep it short, i’ll just bullet point the main subjects I want and need to know more about:

- I have an extra large dog (bull mastiff 120lbs) who is coming with me, approx prices? I used to work in a vet clinic so I know what is required that side
- I have to sell my house before I move, is there anything I need to know about taxes in either Canada or UK before moving?
- is it possible to open a bank account in the uk from here? Or would it be easier to transfer it to family and then sort that out in the UK?
- driving license? I originally had a UK driving license before I moved here, can I get that back or do I have to retake a test?
- renting and jobs will be sorted when I’m home, that’s the least of my worries right now
- is there anything I might not have thought about or might not be aware of in the process of moving home? Financial wise?

Thanks in advance and merry Christmas to all
When do you qualify for a State pension in Canada? In the US it was (effectively) 10 years, less than that and you got zilch for all your SS contributions - so you might want to check on that.

Ditto check on any private pensions you have built-up and how they can pay out when the time comes.

Good luck
Old Dec 26th 2018, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

mush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond reputemush77 has a reputation beyond repute

I’m 36, way off state pensions and don’t have any personal pensions...but good point to make, thank you ☺️
Old Dec 26th 2018, 6:13 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I’m 36, way off state pensions and don’t have any personal pensions...but good point to make, thank you ☺️
- we all think we're way off ..... until you blink and you aren't.

The State pension issue is just that if one worked 9.5 years in the US you would get no state pension from the US in the (far, far off) future as there is a ten-year hurdle - I'm not sure about Canada but you might want to check - be gutting to leave at 7.5 years and find out there was an 8 year hurdle etc (because you need 35 years in the UK system to get the full UK state pension). Basically you would have paid-into the Ca state system and could get zilch out later.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

I just sent my dog to UK from Florida yes paper requirements are stringent and the USDA certification alone is about $350. Then you have to have the tape worm within 120 hours of flying
all airlines are different in what they want and type of dog they will fly . Uk says they must arrive as cargo. If you fly on the same plane as him you can fly into one of the BIP airports if you are not flying with him then he has to fly into LHR .
it takes between 4-6 hours to process the animals through ARC so be prepared to wait
he is a big dog so may need a custom kennel built for the trip as they have to be able to stand turn around and lay down.
our dog was a cocker spaniel and he had to be in a large kennel to meet the needs.
there are many pet relocation services who can help if you don’t want to the tedious work there prices include the airfare but not the vet costs or kennel costs
average cost depends on size of dog
for a cocker size dog your looking at $3-4000
if you do it yourself maybe $1500 to $2000

Old Dec 26th 2018, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cape Blue

The State pension issue is just that if one worked 9.5 years in the US you would get no state pension from the US in the (far, far off) future as there is a ten-year hurdle - I'm not sure about Canada but you might want to check - be gutting to leave at 7.5 years and find out there was an 8 year hurdle etc (because you need 35 years in the UK system to get the full UK state pension). Basically you would have paid-into the Ca state system and could get zilch out later.
thanks for letting me know, i’ll definitely look into this ☺️
Old Dec 26th 2018, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

you have to have been a resident for a minimum of 20 years!
Old Dec 26th 2018, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sammy2018
I just sent my dog to UK from Florida yes paper requirements are stringent and the USDA certification alone is about $350. Then you have to have the tape worm within 120 hours of flying
all airlines are different in what they want and type of dog they will fly . Uk says they must arrive as cargo. If you fly on the same plane as him you can fly into one of the BIP airports if you are not flying with him then he has to fly into LHR .
it takes between 4-6 hours to process the animals through ARC so be prepared to wait
he is a big dog so may need a custom kennel built for the trip as they have to be able to stand turn around and lay down.
our dog was a cocker spaniel and he had to be in a large kennel to meet the needs.
there are many pet relocation services who can help if you don’t want to the tedious work there prices include the airfare but not the vet costs or kennel costs
average cost depends on size of dog
for a cocker size dog your looking at $3-4000
if you do it yourself maybe $1500 to $2000

thats a great help, thank you
Old Dec 26th 2018, 3:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Several thousand $$. There are dozens of threads on this.

In a nutshell, no. If you sell your principal residence before you leave there is no CGT in Canada and none in the UK.

Don't do the latter unless you want family to run up against money laundering regulations: The most convenient way is using HSBC to open a UK account, but you need to switch to HSBC Canada first. Again, plenty of threads.

You can replace your old GB license by simply calling DVLA Swansea when you go back. No charge. It helps if can remember your last GB address.

You think? Be aware that without a job you'll likely have to pay at least 6 months rent in advance.

There are many things you might not have thought about, but make sure you tell Revenue Canada when you're leaving and be prepared to file a split year return in both countries.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Dec 26th 2018 at 3:19 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Several thousand $$. There are dozens of threads on this.

In a nutshell, no. If you sell your principal residence before you leave there is no CGT in Canada and none in the UK.

Don't do the latter unless you want family to run up against money laundering regulations: The most convenient way is using HSBC to open a UK account, but you need to switch to HSBC Canada first. Again, plenty of threads.

You can replace your old GB license by simply calling DVLA Swansea when you go back. No charge. It helps if can remember your last GB address.

You think? Be aware that without a job you'll likely have to pay at least 6 months rent in advance.

There are many things you might not have thought about, but make sure you tell Revenue Canada when you're leaving and be prepared to file a split year return in both countries.
thanks for the points, blunt (to say the least!) but helpful).
Old Dec 26th 2018, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

you have to have been a resident for a minimum of 20 years!

This is not correct I am afraid.

To be eligible for CPP, you must only have made one contribution after the age of 18, and you can apply for that if you are living abroad at the regular age of 65 (but you can claim a reduced amount after 60).

The Old Age Security (OAS) is an extra pension, and that is the one that (as someone living abroad at retirement) requires you to have been a resident in Canada for 20 years after the age of 18 (note there are no contributions to OAS, it is purely based on age and residency).

Keep all your T4’s somewhere safe for 30 years!

Last edited by ann m; Dec 26th 2018 at 4:14 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Re selling your house, do try to complete all of that before you leave.

If you finalize the sale of your home after you are no longer a resident, then 25% will be withheld from you by the lawyers and remitted to Canada Revenue until you file your last tax return the following April.

So do try to wrap up everything house-wise before you go if you can, even if it involves some inconvenience at the end with staying with friends or hotel costs

Last edited by ann m; Dec 26th 2018 at 4:22 pm.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ann m

This is not correct I am afraid.

To be eligible for CPP, you must only have made one contribution after the age of 18, and you can apply for that if you are living abroad at the regular age of 65 (but you can claim a reduced amount after 60).

The Old Age Security (OAS) is an extra pension, and that is the one that (as someone living abroad at retirement) requires you to have been a resident in Canada for 20 years after the age of 18 (note there are no contributions to OAS, it is purely based on age and residency).

Keep all your T4’s somewhere safe for 30 years!
ohhhh that’s good to know...thank you, I did a quick google search and must have been reading about the OAS. Yes, I will keep them, thank you for letting me know ☺️
Old Dec 26th 2018, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

The ten year US SS hurdle can usually be fulfilled using your UK NI record. Not sure whether there is a similar totalization agreement between Canada and the UK.
Old Dec 26th 2018, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of lightSammy2018 is a glorious beacon of light

Can I ask what do you mean by the UK and USA SS hurdle. I have 10 years in the NI and over 30 in the SS system

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.