Moving back home.

Old May 14th 2018, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

yankeereaper56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moving back home.

Hello all: I'm John and my wife is Alison we currently live in the US and after a few trips to the UK we have developed a desire to return to the UK. I am 61 and Alison is 59. We hope to settle in the area surrounding the Lake District. I'll look at the sub forums for info on purchasing a home and the procedure for reestablishing our residency. We're both carry EU/UK passports. We hope to be able to move later this year I.E October November. Oh, we also would be bringing our two dogs. Please chime in with sub forum suggestions and tips and hints! Thank you for looking and any info you pass on. John and Alison...
Old May 14th 2018, 2:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back home.

Hi John, welcome to BE

We have just the forum for you here https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/ If you repost your questions there you'll get some useful information.

As a new member could you please have a read of the site rules, here https://britishexpats.com/site-rules Any site related problems can be addressed by contacting one of our friendly moderators.

Best of luck to you and Alison with your return home.
Old May 19th 2018, 1:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not really much you have to do if you are both Brits. Just fly into the UK, register with GP, open a bank account. get on the voting register and if you are intending to purchase a property engage an estate agent.
Old May 19th 2018, 7:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My message is do not rush into buying a place. Try renting.
Old May 19th 2018, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Two more things -

1) You may want to pay voluntary National Insurance contributions to fill your own NI contribution gaps in order to receive a bigger UK state pension.

https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

2) Do you and your wife want to take up US citizenship before coming back to the UK if not already done so?
Old May 20th 2018, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

HKG3: We where both in the U S because of the "brain drain" of the 60's and have never had a job or a national ID number. We have entertained the US citizenship idea, but never went forward with it. Thanks SanDiegogirl sounds easy!
Old May 20th 2018, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember the property buying process in the UK takes a long time so as one other member said maybe best to rent and look around for a while to get the right property.
I wonder why the buying/selling process can't be overhauled to be more efficient?
Old May 20th 2018, 11:27 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you moved to the US as children then I would strongly urge you to obtain US citizenship before you return to the UK. You didn't mention family but should you change your mind for any reason and wish to return to the US it's important to note that your green cards will expire after two years absence from the US whereas citizenship is for life.
Old May 21st 2018, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to apply for a national insurance number. Very simple once you get back.

With pets, use a pet shipping company as the paperwork can be complex and a minor error can have major consequences.
Old May 21st 2018, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Since you have been in the US such a long time you probably have private pensions, perhaps defined contribution plans such as a 401k or 403b and I would advise that you get those sorted before you move back. In our case we had 2 private pensions that would not entertain having them paid into a foreign bank plus our current bank did not support overseas residents and addresses so we opened a bank account that did and had our pensions going directly there, and then we use a forex company like Transferwise to send money over.

For our 401ks (we each had one) we rolled those over into IRAs to a brokerage that supports overseas residents and mange them quite easily from here.

In your case you may need a bank and brokerage that accepts overseas non-US citizens.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

ukintexas1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Durham_lad,

Would you suggest rolling 401k to an IRS?

Can you suggest a broker that supports a roll over from a 401k to and IRS, we are in the same position?

Thank you
Old Aug 14th 2018, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukintexas1
Durham_lad,

Would you suggest rolling 401k to an IRS?

Can you suggest a broker that supports a roll over from a 401k to and IRS, we are in the same position?

Thank you
I would definitely recommend doing this before you leave the USA. It is a tax free event to roll a 401k to an IRA and all the big brokerages such as Schwab, Fidelity, Vanguard etc will do it. Once in an IRA you usually have a much bigger selection of funds to invest in. Sometimes the rollover can very cumbersome which is another reason to do it while still in the USA. I already had an IRA with Vanguard and my wife had hers with Fidelity. With my wife’s 401k it was all done broker to broker electronically and was super easy. With my 401k the rules of my company were that they would only distribute the funds via check to me at my address on record. Vanguard told me the exact wording of the check to be made payable to them and where I should send it. A very large check was then sent by courier to me by the 401k custodian (made out Vanguard with my IRA account number ) and the same day I re-sent it via courier to Vanguard.

I can’t imagine having to manage those rollovers from England. Before we left for England I decided that Vanguard had a better reputation for handing overseas customers than Fidelity, who were otherwise excellent, and the rollover of my wife’s IRA to Vanguard was super easy and done entirely online. We also set up “agent authorization “ for both of us so we each have full access to each other’s accounts.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Something to keep in mind if considering attaining US citizenship before relocating. The requirements for reporting all wordwide income remains regardless of foreign residence. This really means US tax returns will always have to be filed annually reporting income over a base amount.

Last edited by Richard8655; Aug 14th 2018 at 8:28 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

We have no desire to become US citizens. We'll formally return our green cards after initially settling in. Returning to the US as British citizens on a vacation/holiday type trips. We have looked into IRS form 8854, 1040c and 2063. Also, the USCIS I-407. Breaking most bonds with the exception of family and friends. John...
Old Aug 15th 2018, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Speak to a pet shipper sooner rather than later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.