Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England to go to University

Moving back to England to go to University

Old Apr 24th 2020, 7:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to England to go to University

Originally Posted by CanadaToEnglandandBack
Oh I didn't see you had written twice! Sorry for the second response! I did working holiday visas in New Zealand and Australia, I did go back to Canada for a bit to travel the country but not permanently, I traveled around South East Asia on tourist visas (if you're ever out there I highly recommend Malaysia! You can get a 3 month tourist visa at the border and it's amazing there!) and also did some of the USA and South America. In the past five years I did go back to the UK to save up for 11 months one year and went back for a wedding for 3 weeks a different year.
I've always considered the UK my home base and where I'd settle down. But I know the government could view it differently
So, yeah. They've all been either Working Holiday Visas (which are temporary) or Tourist Visas Hope that clarifies some!
sounds like you are a UK resident who has been travelling ie gap year/backpacking...you choose.

I have been to Malaysia several times, Sing, Penang, KL.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you have against my suggestion ? Come and work in a front;line care job for 3 years ?
Old Apr 25th 2020, 6:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
What do you have against my suggestion ? Come and work in a front;line care job for 3 years ?
thats a little harsh. The OP is a UK citizen and a UK resident who has been travelling on TEMPORARY visas. What’s the difference between him and skids who take a gap year travelling the world?
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

CanadaToEnglandandBack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Hi Scot47,
I'm not sure where this hostility is coming from. I just got an email saying that you had also posted "So you want a university to bend the rules and let taxpayers cover your costs ? "- maybe you edited that one to the one I see on this thread.
When I replied to your last message I said that going back into the care industry is my plan if a university assesses that I am now a international student. So I already answered that question. As to your other question which you either edited or deleted, I am not asking the "taxpayers" to cover my cost. Not that it is any of your business, but it is also my plan to work during my studies as I did during my undergrad. I will pay my own way as I always have, I'd just prefer not to pay 3x the amount when I could be considered a home student. I really don't know where you got that notion and frankly it's offensive.
In all honesty, I feel like no matter what I say, you've been determined to be offended by my words since my original post. If you read some of the other posts in this thread you would have seen that I have already apologised for not wording it properly and have tried to clear it up for the people that are genuinely trying to give me advice.
This whole interaction feels like you're projecting onto me and maybe I shouldn't be rising to the bait. But I just wanted to clarify my words and I hope you know, I'm not taking your hostility to heart. I don't know your story just like you don't know mine. I was just trying to get some advice from people that may have been in the same situation as me in the past.
I genuinely hope you have a great day and can move on from this post. Because I have now answered your first post twice and I've also gotten some awesome advice from other posters.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by CanadaToEnglandandBack
Hi Scot47,
I'm not sure where this hostility is coming from. I just got an email saying that you had also posted "So you want a university to bend the rules and let taxpayers cover your costs ? "- maybe you edited that one to the one I see on this thread.
When I replied to your last message I said that going back into the care industry is my plan if a university assesses that I am now a international student. So I already answered that question. As to your other question which you either edited or deleted, I am not asking the "taxpayers" to cover my cost. Not that it is any of your business, but it is also my plan to work during my studies as I did during my undergrad. I will pay my own way as I always have, I'd just prefer not to pay 3x the amount when I could be considered a home student. I really don't know where you got that notion and frankly it's offensive.
In all honesty, I feel like no matter what I say, you've been determined to be offended by my words since my original post. If you read some of the other posts in this thread you would have seen that I have already apologised for not wording it properly and have tried to clear it up for the people that are genuinely trying to give me advice.
This whole interaction feels like you're projecting onto me and maybe I shouldn't be rising to the bait. But I just wanted to clarify my words and I hope you know, I'm not taking your hostility to heart. I don't know your story just like you don't know mine. I was just trying to get some advice from people that may have been in the same situation as me in the past.
I genuinely hope you have a great day and can move on from this post. Because I have now answered your first post twice and I've also gotten some awesome advice from other posters.
you must remember when you post on an open forum you are going to get all sorts of replies. Some you may not like. Best to ignore them.
Old Apr 25th 2020, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

CanadaToEnglandandBack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
you must remember when you post on an open forum you are going to get all sorts of replies. Some you may not like. Best to ignore them.
Haha very true JerseyGirl! I'm clearly a newbie to this stuff! But to be honest, I don't mind clarifying and arguing my corner as long as it's done in a mature and respectful way
Ps. I love that you've been to Malaysia! I had some of the best food in my LIFE in Georgetown in Penang and still have tea from the Cameron Highlands! Malaysia was the country that I hold some of my most cherished travelling memories! I spent 6 weeks on the Perhentian Islands volunteering at a campground and I'd absolutely love to go back someday!