Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back but not by choice.

Moving back but not by choice.

Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

ChristopherBarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Moving back but not by choice.

Okay so I've been living in the Netherlands for just over 4 years now but I recently quit my job because the boss refused to give me a contract and wanted me to work for cash in hand, which is illegal, even after asking him multiple times to give me a contract (he kept telling me to apply for social and THEN he'd give me a contract but it's not that simple...)

Anyway my main issue is this:
If the worst comes to the worst, which I hope it doesn't, then I don't mind moving back. However, due to the recent situation, I am completely broke and unless I can find a new job or something to sustain me until I do then I may become homeless.

I can't go to the social and ask them for help until I can find a new job because they'll ask me to prove that I worked for 6 months, which I can't do due to a certain person. So what are my options really? I can't move back because I have no means of doing so but I also can't stay here.

I've been applying for jobs left right and center and intend to go to the social tomorrow morning.

Am I doomed to walk the streets of the Netherlands as a homeless person or is there something that the British embassy can do?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:33 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back but not by choice.

Why would you be in a better situation in the UK than in the Netherlands, though?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by robin1234
Why would you be in a better situation in the UK than in the Netherlands, though?
I'd not be homeless (a friend has agreed to let me stay with him until I get sorted..)

I have more of a chance of finding work there than I do here because all work here, for the most part, requires that you can speak fluent Dutch.

I could maybe go back to studying or a training course which, again, is hard to do here.

I just think that I'd have more of a chance back home.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The British Embassy is not going to help you.

You seem to have been in this situation for quite some time from reading your earlier posts.

If you can't find work in the Netherlands (because you don't speak Dutch) and you have somewhere to live while looking for a job in the UK, I'd go back to the UK.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The British Embassy is not going to help you.

You seem to have been in this situation for quite some time from reading your earlier posts.

If you can't find work in the Netherlands (because you don't speak Dutch) and you have somewhere to live while looking for a job in the UK, I'd go back to the UK.

Ummm no I've not been in it for quite some time. I had been working until recently lol.

And yes the British embassy has offered to help before but then I found a job.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would personally report your previous employer as you say what he is doing is illegal and basically forced your hand to quit. Think the social may be very interested in that
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I would personally report your previous employer as you say what he is doing is illegal and basically forced your hand to quit. Think the social may be very interested in that

Yeh somebody else suggested that but they said I'd get into trouble as well. I think he knew what he was doing all along. There were times that he didn't even pay me at all. Sometimes I had to work for 7 hours yet only got paid for 5. He knew that I relied on that job to survive and I guess he played on that vulnerability.

He was afraid of getting caught by the end so he cut my days to like 2 days a week IF I was lucky. So I jut quit.

Last edited by ChristopherBarnett; Mar 28th 2016 at 8:37 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChristopherBarnett
Yeh somebody else suggested that but they said I'd get into trouble as well. I think he knew what he was doing all along. There were times that he didn't even pay me at all. Sometimes I had to work for 7 hours yet only got paid for 5. He knew that I relied on that job to survive and I guess he played on that vulnerability.

He was afraid of getting caught by the end so he cut my days to like 2 days a week IF I was lucky. So I jut quit.
I am not sure I get the dilemma. If you have somewhere to stay in the UK and better job prospects, versus the streets in Amsterdam and limited job prospects, well then what are you waiting for.

The British embassy is not there to help people because they are short of money. And whilst your employer might have been breaking some rules, you could surely have declared your earnings as self employment / contracting and made yourself legitimate that way.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I am not sure I get the dilemma. If you have somewhere to stay in the UK and better job prospects, versus the streets in Amsterdam and limited job prospects, well then what are you waiting for.

The British embassy is not there to help people because they are short of money. And whilst your employer might have been breaking some rules, you could surely have declared your earnings as self employment / contracting and made yourself legitimate that way.

No they were offering me a means to get back.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No they were offering me a means to get back.
It isn't that hard to get back from Amsterdam to the UK is it? Anyway, if you have an offer of help and have somewhere to stay when you get there, just do it.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need to take a good look at your current situation, and develop a long-term career and life plan. You have been in the Netherlands for four years. You don't say why you moved there in the first place, but not speaking the language will always put you at a disadvantage when seeking meaningful work.

You are now in your thirties, and talking about soldiering on with your attempt to learn Dutch. When asked on another thread about your skill-set. you say "I'm really good with computers and games design" You need to get yourself back to the UK, visit the JobCentrePlus office, and ask them what training courses they have that would suit these skills.

You must know for yourself, you are just treading water in the Netherlands. You need to accept that and move on. In the future, you can visit Groningen for the weekend, but you need to get your life and career into shape.

Sorry to sound harsh.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teejaydee
I think you need to take a good look at your current situation, and develop a long-term career and life plan. You have been in the Netherlands for four years. You don't say why you moved there in the first place, but not speaking the language will always put you at a disadvantage when seeking meaningful work.

You are now in your thirties, and talking about soldiering on with your attempt to learn Dutch. When asked on another thread about your skill-set. you say "I'm really good with computers and games design" You need to get yourself back to the UK, visit the JobCentrePlus office, and ask them what training courses they have that would suit these skills.

You must know for yourself, you are just treading water in the Netherlands. You need to accept that and move on. In the future, you can visit Groningen for the weekend, but you need to get your life and career into shape.

Sorry to sound harsh.
It's not harsh and you make valid points. I read somewhere that it takes 3 months before one can even apply for JSA if they're returning after a long time. So I guess I'd have to live off my friend for 3 months unless what I read isn't true.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's not harsh and you make valid points. I read somewhere that it takes 3 months before one can even apply for JSA if they're returning after a long time. So I guess I'd have to live off my friend for 3 months unless what I read isn't true.
Or, and here's a novel idea, get a job and support yourself!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or, and here's a novel idea, get a job and support yourself!
Oh yeh awesome idea, luv! I'll arrive, kick the door down to every business and say "JOB, NOW!!!"

Not sure it works like that. Not quite sure what world you're from but one cannot instantaneously find a job upon arrival.

Last edited by ChristopherBarnett; Mar 28th 2016 at 11:09 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yeh awesome idea, luv! I'll arrive, kick the door down to every business and say "JOB, NOW!!!"

Not sure it works like that. Not quite sure what world you're from but one cannot instantaneously find a job upon arrival.
Not sure what you expect people to suggest.

In July 2015 you posted a similar story - been in Netherlands a number of years, in and out of jobs, and at that time you were unemployed; again thinking of going back to the UK, maybe onto "the welfare"

Not much has changed since then. You don't speak Dutch, so finding a job in the UK must be an easier proposition.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.