Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back British Muslim

Moving back British Muslim

Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by scot47
With Jehovah's Witnesses, I just smile and say that I am busy. I usually am drinking tea and watching the idiot box !
I have always been able to get away with a simple smile and "No thank you." Born-Again Christians in England have been more of a problem in the past, trying to lure me along to social events which are 'only a little bit religious and great fun'. A firm 'no' seemed to set them more of a challenge.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I have always been able to get away with a simple smile and "No thank you." Born-Again Christians in England have been more of a problem in the past, trying to lure me along to social events which are 'only a little bit religious and great fun'. A firm 'no' seemed to set them more of a challenge.
I used to live in Basingstoke (*shudder) for a bit... Man it's the Bible belt of the UK, I kid you not. I used to have neighbours constantly trying to 'save' me. Once one of my neighbours asked me to come to her house for an evening of tea and cake (I am up for cake anytime!) and it turned out it was an introductory evening for the Alpha course. I sat through the entire evening, stupified myself with her excellent cakes, thanked her, came back and washed my temples with eau-de-cologne... Somehow religion has never 'got' me... I do believe in god but religion... No thank you!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 2:48 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
With Jehovah's Witnesses, I just smile and say that I am busy. I usually am drinking tea and watching the idiot box !
I tell them I'm Jewish. Their faces drop and they don't come back...
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
LOL!!!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:52 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I used to tell them I worked in a path lab cross matching blood to be given to people in blood transfusions, which was partly true, They used to think there was no salvation for me, espcially as, in the summer, and knowing they were JW or Mormons I would answer the door naked.. the sight sent them off screaming..
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:01 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
I used to tell them I worked in a path lab cross matching blood to be given to people in blood transfusions, which was partly true, They used to think there was no salvation for me, espcially as, in the summer, and knowing they were JW or Mormons I would answer the door naked.. the sight sent them off screaming..
Where do all those big Mormon families come from? Lights out I guess
Old Jan 27th 2013, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Talking Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Oh. My. God.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:06 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Well, I don't usually have that effect on women , but I can understand your sense of relief. No-one wants to feel unwelcome in their own country.

It's a recurring source of debate whether the UK is racially (religiously, etc.) tolerant of diversity. In some ways the US (where I lived for over 20 years) is very diverse but is not a "successful" social experiment in diversity (especially religious diversity). Some sectors of society (for example, African Americans) are grossly disadvantaged in many ways and are separated, either implicitly or explicitly, despite racial equality legislation.

In the UK, we certainly have our social problems but I think being so close to other countries means we are much more aware and therefore accepting of diversity. There are lots of positive examples of British Muslims on television and if you watch some of the current affairs magazine programs, any British citizen would be proud of the dignified and balanced way in which they contribute t society and intellectual debate - I certainly think most British viewers would think "there goes an intelligent, interesting British person", not "there goes a Muslim".
I appreciate your view point on ethnic acceptance or the lack there of in the UK vs America.I believe you are correct about the current state of tension existing among various ethnicities in America but not sure if your opinion on the cause adds up to the reason for the effects.I've thought about this topic often and have my own opinion for the explanation for why America is more openly willing to show it's growing pains in regards to "isms". I believe if there is less ethnic tension in the UK the reason has more to do with basic math.The minority population in the UK is approaching only 10% of England and Wales combined. And even by the year 2051 the minority population is estimated to be about 20%. A larger increase for sure but not enough to dominate the indigenous population. While in America there has allways been a fear of immigrants taking jobs and wealth from those that have built this nation.The Irish,Italians and every other group who left europe for America in the 1800's experienced these type of obsticles but like most who made a strong effort to assimilate in time things did work out and they were eventually accepted.Maybe not by all but they did find like minds to accept them.

That is true of many immigrants moving to different regions of europe as well. What seperates America's situation from europe is the fact that minorities are beginning to weild a great deal of power in the States.It was the ethnic minority population that decided the recent presidential election. And to be honest many people fear the changing demographics. So there is going to be tension.The Census bureau estimates that by 2050 the majority of the population will consist of today's minority groups.

I think you will know for sure where the UK stands on ethnic acceptance once it becomes ran by the groups once thought of as the minority. When Muslims are deciding Uk elections that is the time to guage the new configurement in uk society.That is when you are going to see acceptance or a great deal of resentment. That is when the UKips and the more extreme BNP people in the Uk will either grow in influence or be rejected outright.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DriftingBack
I used to live in Basingstoke (*shudder) for a bit... Man it's the Bible belt of the UK, I kid you not. I used to have neighbours constantly trying to 'save' me. Once one of my neighbours asked me to come to her house for an evening of tea and cake (I am up for cake anytime!) and it turned out it was an introductory evening for the Alpha course. I sat through the entire evening, stupified myself with her excellent cakes, thanked her, came back and washed my temples with eau-de-cologne... Somehow religion has never 'got' me... I do believe in god but religion... No thank you!
Yes they bait the trap and BANG the bolts are shot! Alpha course!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
A larger increase for sure but not enough to dominate the indigenous population. While in America there has allways been a fear of immigrants taking jobs and wealth from those that have built this nation.
Of course Europeans are not indigenous to the USA and the nation was built by many different groups eg Africans, Irish and Chinese who did the donkey work.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Jan 27th 2013 at 4:30 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lightbulb Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I appreciate your view point on ethnic acceptance or the lack there of in the UK vs America.I believe you are correct about the current state of tension existing among various ethnicities in America but not sure if your opinion on the cause adds up to the reason for the effects.I've thought about this topic often and have my own opinion for the explanation for why America is more openly willing to show it's growing pains in regards to "isms". I believe if there is less ethnic tension in the UK the reason has more to do with basic math.The minority population in the UK is approaching only 10% of England and Wales combined. And even by the year 2051 the minority population is estimated to be about 20%. A larger increase for sure but not enough to dominate the indigenous population. While in America there has allways been a fear of immigrants taking jobs and wealth from those that have built this nation.The Irish,Italians and every other group who left europe for America in the 1800's experienced these type of obsticles but like most who made a strong effort to assimilate in time things did work out and they were eventually accepted.Maybe not by all but they did find like minds to accept them.

That is true of many immigrants moving to different regions of europe as well. What seperates America's situation from europe is the fact that minorities are beginning to weild a great deal of power in the States.It was the ethnic minority population that decided the recent presidential election. And to be honest many people fear the changing demographics. So there is going to be tension.The Census bureau estimates that by 2050 the majority of the population will consist of today's minority groups.

I think you will know for sure where the UK stands on ethnic acceptance once it becomes ran by the groups once thought of as the minority. When Muslims are deciding Uk elections that is the time to guage the new configurement in uk society.That is when you are going to see acceptance or a great deal of resentment. That is when the UKips and the more extreme BNP people in the Uk will either grow in influence or be rejected outright.
Heres a thought: The reason the minorities are not going to overtake the 'indigenous' population of the UK is that they are indigenous to the UK. In the USA the minority have already overtaken the 'indigenous' people (American Indians) already! How can you say the Europeans, Irish, Brits 'built' America? It was doing just fine before the Spanish too!
Old Jan 27th 2013, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yes they bait the trap and BANG the bolts are shot! Alpha course!
But cake!!!
Old Jan 28th 2013, 12:11 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DriftingBack
Heres a thought: The reason the minorities are not going to overtake the 'indigenous' population of the UK is that they are indigenous to the UK. In the USA the minority have already overtaken the 'indigenous' people (American Indians) already! How can you say the Europeans, Irish, Brits 'built' America? It was doing just fine before the Spanish too!
Most Archaeologist would get a chuckle out of the thought that minorities in the UK are indigenous to the UK. Some may have been there for many years but does that qualify as being indigenous?

America is a very young country in comparison to nations such as China,the UK,Germany.So the measuring stick to determine the term "indigenous" is naturally going to have layers in most every country of the world(including the UK) but in America the layers are going to be more recent and less complicated. Native Americans are the "true" indigenous Americans.No question about that.But in comparing which groups for the purpose of this conversation, I was referring to people that have a multi-generational family tree in America. That is why I mention "those that built this nation". I also mentioned people that immigrated here in the 1800's. Its all just conversation.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
As far as the media are concerned, I do think there is bias in how different religions are reported.

You often read, or hear about the actions of "Muslim extremists", but rarely if ever about "Christian extremists" or "Protestant extremists". Similarly, it is usually "Muslim extremists" (not Al Quaeda extremists), but "IRA terrorists" (not Catholic terrorists).
We hear of extremist Christians burning Korans, protesting Gay Pride and funerals sometimes though...and a few abortion doctors in the US have been killed but that's hardly Christlike - Christ was a pacifist. Even the Crusades came off the back of a third of Christendom being annexed by the Muslim Empire...and they failed to retake lands that were previously Christian.

As for the IRA, they are not Catholic terrorists - they are Irish Republican Terrorists who happen to comprise heavily of Irish Catholics. They would hardly have a "Prod squad" if they were doing what they did in the name of Catholicism...and the Catholic Church wouldn't threaten it's members with excommunication if they engaged in IRA activities if they condoned such groups would they?

Muslim terrorists do what they do in the name of political Islam, which was not founded by a pacifist nor teaches pacifism. It would not go away if all their demands were met either - for they will kill other Muslims they don't feel are fundamentalist enough just as easily as us infidels.

Yes there is always media bias - but why would the media report on the beheading of school teachers in front of their class in Thailand in the same light as those dicks in the Westboro Baptist Church?

N.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think I get what sallysimmons is saying - people will make sweeping hurtful comments about a topic, eg everyone receiving dole is a scrounger - until it happens to someone close to them. Likewise they may say there are 'too many immigrants' but don't count the lovely Pakistani lady they know socially.
Thanks

I was not in any way suggesting people on benefits are scroungers since I believe the opposite. I was trying to say exactly what you said so succinctly.

I don't think the OP should worry just because some people make sweeping generalized comments about immigrants because I think he/she will find that even the people who say that mostly don't mean it when it comes to meeting a actual person. (And of course most people don't even say that stuff in the first place).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.