Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back British Muslim

Moving back British Muslim

Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all
Wink Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by happyglow
One of the things I'm looking forward to about moving back to the UK is that it's a lot more diverse than when I left . Yes it has its share of nasty-minded racists, just like the rest of the world, but hopefully they're in the minority.

Good luck with your move!
Thanks happyglow! You all have really reassured me! We have been living in the middle east (Saudi, i know!) and africa (Kenya, lovely) for four years to work and live for a bit - I am shocked at the racism here in Muslim countries towards other Muslims. It's very in your face here - they become friendly only when they hear my accent when I speak English or see my passport at immigration... This would never happen in the UK.So yes bigots are all over the world- race, religion and nationality donot matter!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

DriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to allDriftingBack is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by ldollard
I'm white, but my sister had a bi-racial child with a muslim guy (who is a dick, but just cause he's a dick not because he's a muslim) and I, my family or anyone in his school bats an eyelid at his skin colour.

I went to school in Richmond called Christ's School and it was mostly black, Asian, Indian, Pakistani and you'd get bullied but never for race. This was in 1996 and any mention of being bullied over race would be abhorrent to almost any kid I knew.

My mother and nan are from Belize in central America and my grandad's were from Ireland. Again no issue ever that I knew of.

I'd honestly say that the UK is the most tolerant place I've ever known and I was shocked and still am at how racist America is. But not just white on black, but black on black racism, black on white, Mexican on white, black, Asian etc... seems like every race hates the other, but in a very underhanded way.
Idollard - thanks for answering - I do appreciate you sharing your experience, especially since you seem to have had some experience with other cultures. Yes I do agree I have always found living in England very easy. But girl if you are shocked at America (I've never lived only visited, must admit they all seemed a bit overwhelmingly friendly) you should look at the middle east where I lived for two years. Saudis are very racist and I don't mean the average Joe on the street (who are actually very warm and full of Arab hospitality) its the officials! My French and American black friends have had a terrible time here bcos all the Saudi officialdom seems to think they are all maids!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fulwood
Also to the OP you do seem to have the right attitude and don't believe the Daily Fail. I think what everyone else has written is a good and balanced POV and should help you make a sound decision. Good luck..
Thank you fulwood!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:47 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DriftingBack
Wokingham which has some good schools.. So keeping fingers, toes and eyes crossed!
Wokingham was recently voted the number one place to settle in the UK due to salaries, schools, access to countryside and general things to do
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Moving back British Muslim

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Wokingham was recently voted the number one place to settle in the UK due to salaries, schools, access to countryside and general things to do
I know Pom_chch, I heard that - now the job is to get IN to one of those wonderful schools! LOL well going to have a bash at that now!
Old Jan 25th 2013, 8:04 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Yorkshire and my impression is that, while some people might mutter generally about immigrants, when they interact with an actual individual, they're invariably kind and friendly and respectful just as they would be with a white person.

To some extent I think it's because some people have a view of muslims and other immigrants that comes straight out of the Daily Mail. But when they meet an actual person, that goes out of the window. If asked about the dichotomy, they'd probably say "Oh he/she is lovely ... it's those lazy/violent/scrounging/[choose disparaging adjective] immigrants I don't like."

It's the same way that everyone seems to moan about benefits scroungers but no one disowns their friend or relative when he/she signs on after losing a job.

I'm sure you'll be very welcome.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 11:22 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

It's the same way that everyone seems to moan about benefits scroungers but no one disowns their friend or relative when he/she signs on after losing a job.
I'm being off topic and pedantic, but I would liken signing on for unemployment benefit as "benefit scrounging", it's something that all tax payers have funded and is a bridge to further employment for the vast majority of people.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I'm being off topic and pedantic, but I would liken signing on for unemployment benefit as "benefit scrounging", it's something that all tax payers have funded and is a bridge to further employment for the vast majority of people.
signing on for unemployment is, for most people a stop gap to get some income
while looking for another job, and in those cases can't in any circumstances be called scrounging. Yes there are some people who are dole scroungers, but you can't tar all with the same brush which your post is doing.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:17 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the 4th picture with prince charles, that how i'd like to think of the UK and on the whole I think thats how it truly is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21194276
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think I get what sallysimmons is saying - people will make sweeping hurtful comments about a topic, eg everyone receiving dole is a scrounger - until it happens to someone close to them. Likewise they may say there are 'too many immigrants' but don't count the lovely Pakistani lady they know socially.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Originally Posted by mikelincs
signing on for unemployment is, for most people a stop gap to get some income
while looking for another job, and in those cases can't in any circumstances be called scrounging. Yes there are some people who are dole scroungers, but you can't tar all with the same brush which your post is doing.
I might be wrong, but it occurred to me that nun's post had a typo in it and he might have meant to say that he does NOT liken signing on....etc etc

It makes a bit more sense to me that way...
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:14 pm
Firetrak

ldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond reputeldollard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
I might be wrong, but it occurred to me that nun's post had a typo in it and he might have meant to say that he does NOT liken signing on....etc etc

It also makes it more pleasant so lets just go with that.

Personally immigration made the UK the awesome country it is today, and I for one am really proud of it.

But lets all be honest, unchecked immigration from people who have no direct right, i.e. economic migrants, they should only be allowed in once all familial migrants have been settled.

I think the crux of the issue is a lot of UK people feel sidelined in these economic times when immigrants from other countries come and potentially take jobs from locals or put an added strain on public finances so projects for locals get scrapped as the money has to allocated for EU migrants from poor countries.

Its not racism that most people espouse, its fear of the country changing and leaving them behind.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs

That's how I read it too.
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has been niggling away in a little corner of my brain today; I think it's because you identified yourself by your religion, Drifting. I suggest that your biggest danger of a bad reaction is if you go around pushing that religion in people's faces, as happens all too often. ie be yourself, not a label :-)
Old Jan 26th 2013, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happyglow
This thread has been niggling away in a little corner of my brain today; I think it's because you identified yourself by your religion, Drifting. I suggest that your biggest danger of a bad reaction is if you go around pushing that religion in people's faces, as happens all too often. ie be yourself, not a label :-)
I don't agree at all. It's a legitimate concern in view of some news reporting.

I have never had Islam 'pushed in my face', although I have with Christianity many times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.