Reload this Page >

Moving back with autisic child

Moving back with autisic child

Old Aug 18th 2010, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kilty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back with autisic child

Hi,

Does anyone have experience of moving to the U.K. with a child who is on the autism spectrum? Our 7-year old U.S.-born son has an IEP here in California and is in a special day class in an (excellent!) public school. He also receives additional speech and occupational therapy from the school district and behavior intervention from the Regional Center. We'll need to access similar services in the U.K. We know in theory what's involved, but would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually run the course in the U.K. Are services better in certain areas? We have complete flexibility about areas to live in the U.K. and quality autism support services will be a major factor in that decision.

The whole family have dual US/British nationality.

Thanks!
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back with autisic child

Originally Posted by Kilty
Hi,

Does anyone have experience of moving to the U.K. with a child who is on the autism spectrum? Our 7-year old U.S.-born son has an IEP here in California and is in a special day class in an (excellent!) public school. He also receives additional speech and occupational therapy from the school district and behavior intervention from the Regional Center. We'll need to access similar services in the U.K. We know in theory what's involved, but would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually run the course in the U.K. Are services better in certain areas? We have complete flexibility about areas to live in the U.K. and quality autism support services will be a major factor in that decision.

The whole family have dual US/British nationality.

Thanks!
I don't have any help to relate to you, sorry. Just posting that I know California has some of the best special needs services and even with all of the budget woes they still (by the sound of your post) seem to be doing a good job. I hope you find comparable services wherever you go. Best of luck.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 5:54 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know of a support board for parents of Autistic children in the UK?, I bet there is one and that will give you a really good idea of whats available where.
I googled and found some but they aren't board to write question and get answers. http://www.autism.org.uk/our-service...programme.aspx

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Aug 18th 2010 at 5:56 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kilty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I don't have any help to relate to you, sorry. Just posting that I know California has some of the best special needs services and even with all of the budget woes they still (by the sound of your post) seem to be doing a good job. I hope you find comparable services wherever you go. Best of luck.

Thanks. Funding for special needs services in California schools is largely federal money and so isn't affected by the state budget cuts. The services specified in an IEP are a federal entitlement and (theoretically) entirely portable, which is to say they would have to be provided by any school district we moved to anywhere in the US.

Doesn't help us in the U.K. however...
Old Aug 18th 2010, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kilty
Thanks. Funding for special needs services in California schools is largely federal money and so isn't affected by the state budget cuts. The services specified in an IEP are a federal entitlement and (theoretically) entirely portable, which is to say they would have to be provided by any school district we moved to anywhere in the US.

Doesn't help us in the U.K. however...
Yes, but California provides better and more services. We currently live in Washington and the differences between the two States are pretty interesting. Every school district decides on how they are going to spend their monies and therein lies the problem. There are federal laws to protect special needs, but some places are going to do the bare minimum.

Anyway, sorry I'm hijacking your thread. Again, best of luck in your search.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

An awful depends on where on the spectrum your child is.

My eldest is 15 and has had a rocky road with education. He has AS and was diagnosed at 3. By the time he was 4 Cheshire had just recognised AS and sent its first teachers on training. He spent his primary school years in a class with other kids supported by a helper for 15 hours a week. This enabled him to build relationships with the kids who are still his friends now. The teachers and head had real enthusiasm and commitment

Secondary school was a bit of a cluster ***** to be honest in the early years but they are getting their act together now so all the kids who have followed my son have benefitted from the experience. Someone has to go first I suppose.

I know of other parents in the same town who transport their kid , with AS very similar to my son, 20 miles to a "special school" South of Manchester. I prefer the thought of him going through the normal school as he will have to work with "normal" people when he finishes his studies so its beneficial to know how those "normal" people think lol
He is studying for 9 GCSEs by the way

So dont believe any educational hype on websites as its the teachers and head that make the difference so you really need to go and visit them before settling on where to live. I could highly recommend the primary school and recommend the secondary school that my son went to however rural Cheshire isnt everyones cup of tea

Good luck
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Bahrain is developed in this field as well however my ex wouldnt let my son come and live with me
Just in case you fancy sunshine instead of rainy UK
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

gill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond reputegill556 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if this is of any use,

http://www.nationalautismassociation.org/

There is a lot of help available but you have to really search for it. My grandson has aspergers and he gets Disabled living allowance. He has always attended main stream school with a few hours a week from a support worker provided by the social services. Now he has started a senior school where there is a special base for children like him where he is in normal classes in the main school apart from PE, religion and art which he refuses to do. At these times he goes to the base for extra science lessons which is his passion and he is doing a government sponsored science course.