Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back Australia-UK - any hints?

Moving back Australia-UK - any hints?

Old Mar 1st 2023, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back Australia-UK - any hints?

So pleased that it's all coming together for you Pollyana.
Lots of useful information there for me, even though we will be leaving NZ (if we can ever sell our bloomin house).
​​​​The freedom thing really resonates with me, I feel trapped here.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 9:11 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Contents insurance - to my amusement Saga were the cheapest, never thought I,d be using them, but here goes, I’m old now, I guess!!

Nearly there, freedom is so close I can almost touch it.........
I use Saga for insurance, fond that thy were cheapest when I was sorting mine out, and they also do a monthly system, at no extra cost, so I don't get a lump sum bill.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone following on behind me on the trip home, some updates.

Shipping -Chess have so far been great, very helpful, excellent staff that did the uplift in Brisbane. 🤞🏻 just got to hope its as good the other end.
Seven Seas -airfreighting a bag with them, good customer service but their online system is a nightmare, needs much patience and a lot of wine.
Keys to the rental in Aus went back today & I’m in a motel for a few days. Bond cleaners were great, kerbside collection took most of the old furniture. The bins for the 7 units in my block took the rest 😂

Red Energy promise final bills by next week. I got the regular quarterly gas bill last week, and it has gone uo by a third, so anyone saying energy costs here aren’t rising, is deluded ( Aus forum last week, can’t remember who)

Successfully rented a flat whilst still in Australia, the agents did videos as well as the original photos so I could see everything, even videoed inside cupboards etc. I just have to confirm the inventory when I arrive next week, and they are aware of arrival date etc and that the inventory won’t be confirmed till then. Very helpful with confirming finances, and talking things through. Anyone going to the Brighton area, I can thoroughly recommend Sawyer & Co of Hove.

Finance-wise, money was moved with OFX to Lloyds, took 24 hours, just took one call to OFX to set it up, one to ANZ in Aus to confirm it was really me moving it, and all done.Much easier than expected.

Aussie phone contract converted to PAYG so I retain the number to finalise tax, banks etc,
UK phone needs a higher data contract but can’t fix that till I arrive.

Friendly local bed shop I remember from years ago are attempting to get basic furntiure delivered within a week, to lessen hotel time, and will assemble furniture for a small cash payment -that sort of thing is important as a singleton with arthritis.Excellent service, shout &recommendation for Brighton Bed Co Ltd

Tesco and Aamazon deliveries lined up,all the essentials within 2-3 days of arrival.I can literally sit in the hotel at Heathrow on Sunday and order everything currently in the shopping baskets from there, be set up pretty much 3 days later. Prime already in place, clubcard now active. Interested to see I can do Morrisons through Amazon, some prices are cheaper than Tesco, but not all, so I’ll use both.

Poll tax, very easy to sign up for online, same with TV licence (OMG the BBC with no VPN and buffering issues!!). Water is proving an issue but I think its their website, supply is there, they just can’t get the bill sent right 😄 No gas, for electric I am just going with EON who are there at present, can rethink later if necessary.

Contents insurance - to my amusement Saga were the cheapest, never thought I,d be using them, but here goes, I’m old now, I guess!!

Bus tickets already bought - Brighton, and probably other cities, now do mobile tickets, buy in advance & just activate when you need them, then show the ticket on your phone when boarding. I have a 3 month ticket, so cheap travel.

Football, taxis etc still to be investigated, next week 😱

Any questions, I will do my best to answer, either now or next week.

Nearly there, freedom is so close I can almost touch it.........
I feel really excited for you you have described everything so well and in detail (I am sure people will get some fantastic tips/help when reading your thread) I sincerely hope you settle and Brighton and the UK feels like home to you very soon. All the very best of wishes x
Old Mar 1st 2023, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

You sound ferociously well organised. Well done and good luck. And thanks for this fantastic update.

Old Mar 2nd 2023, 2:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good wishes, you lovely people
I'll update further from the better side of the world!
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

You're clearly very well organised.

You've done really well to get so much sorted out before arrival. In particular, renting a flat given the current supply / demand imbalance (it's difficult enough to rent somewhere in-country, let alone from a different country / time zone). It will be so much nicer and less stressful having a flat waiting for you than to arrive in an Airbnb and have to start looking for a permanent home.

For TV, in addition to BBC iPlayer, open accounts with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 - there's lots of films and shows to watch via your TV or laptop.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
http://www.itv.com
http://www.channel4.com
http://www.channel5.com

Furniture shops generally quote +/- 3 months for the delivery of sofas and chairs - an option is to buy something cheap from a charity shop and donate it back again later.

Consider getting a railcard if you expect to use trains a reasonable amount. TrainPal currently has a 33% discount on 1 or 3 year railcards, which give a 30% discount on most train fares (tends to exclude peak period trains). There are a variety of railcards, depending on your situation.
https://www.mytrainpal.com/railcard-guide

The water company will probably write to you as the new occupier of the flat as the previous tenant will have advised them they are moving out and no longer responsible for the bill. Don't worry if it takes a couple of weeks to sort this out. One thing to watch for with water and electricity is that they will estimate your usage and set the direct debit amount accordingly, and may (will?) over estimate. Utility companies are holding £ billions of customers' money through over payments via direct debits, and must be making a mint on this free financing. Be sure to let them know you are living alone, and keep an eye on the actual vs. estimated usage.

Football - if you want to attend Brighton's matches, getting tickets will be difficult. If you want a season ticket for next season, apply early and be prepared to move quickly - Brighton are flying high and all are sold out but some may become available. An option is to follow the Women's team, where tickets are more readily available.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 1:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdrinker

You've done really well to get so much sorted out before arrival. In particular, renting a flat given the current supply / demand imbalance (it's difficult enough to rent somewhere in-country, let alone from a different country / time zone). It will be so much nicer and less stressful having a flat waiting for you than to arrive in an Airbnb and have to start looking for a permanent home.

For TV, in addition to BBC iPlayer, open accounts with ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 - there's lots of films and shows to watch via your TV or laptop.
Sorted! Bring on decent TV

Furniture shops generally quote +/- 3 months for the delivery of sofas and chairs - an option is to buy something cheap from a charity shop and donate it back again later.
I've managed to get a bed and sofabed from a local shop, delivery promised within 3 weeks, and maybe even next week! Amazed by it, but as the manager said, they are little and local, and like to take care of customers - especially those who used them 30+ years ago

Consider getting a railcard if you expect to use trains a reasonable amount. TrainPal currently has a 33% discount on 1 or 3 year railcards, which give a 30% discount on most train fares (tends to exclude peak period trains). There are a variety of railcards, depending on your situation.
https://www.mytrainpal.com/railcard-guide
Worth a thought, though I'm more likely to use National Express for most things. Might be worth it for trips to London though, so I'll investigate, thanks!

The water company will probably write to you as the new occupier of the flat as the previous tenant will have advised them they are moving out and no longer responsible for the bill. Don't worry if it takes a couple of weeks to sort this out. One thing to watch for with water and electricity is that they will estimate your usage and set the direct debit amount accordingly, and may (will?) over estimate. Utility companies are holding £ billions of customers' money through over payments via direct debits, and must be making a mint on this free financing. Be sure to let them know you are living alone, and keep an eye on the actual vs. estimated usage.
The agents notified Southern Water who have billed me already, but their website won't let me pay it I'll wait till I'm there in case it a VPN/Geocode issue, and then ring them

Football - if you want to attend Brighton's matches, getting tickets will be difficult. If you want a season ticket for next season, apply early and be prepared to move quickly - Brighton are flying high and all are sold out but some may become available. An option is to follow the Women's team, where tickets are more readily available.
I just really want to suss out maximum TV viewing of Premier League, using the hints earlier in the thread. My team is Nottingham Forest and tickets with them are like gold dust. Brighton are a kind-of second team, but I have mates with season tickets so if I want to go to the Amex occasionally then I should be ok.

Thanks for all the handy hints!
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Safe journey home Polly. Your greatest wish is about to come true.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

You might be eligible for a coachcard, which appears to work in a similar way to a railcard:
https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/offers/coachcards

Match of the Day (BBC) isn't bad for the football highlights, especially if you've avoided the results. Watching it on iPlayer on Sunday is good as you can fast forward through the waffle if you don't want to listen to Gary Lineker. ITV has a similar highlights programme for the Championship. It's a shame the Premier League don't stream matches themselves, or at least sell rights to a single company. Splitting the rights into multiple packages and selling them to different streaming services puts money before the fans, but what's new? Talksport and/or BBC Radio 5 might be worth a listen.
Old Mar 2nd 2023, 7:26 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

ITV is now ITVx which is OK and o Freeview, BUT not available on ALL TVs. I have a smart TV, Blaupunkt, and cant get it on that. I would suggest getting a 'smart' TV as there is more choice of platforms.
Old Mar 3rd 2023, 12:46 am
Home and Happy

You might be eligible for a coachcard, which appears to work in a similar way to a railcard:
https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/offers/coachcards

Match of the Day (BBC) isn't bad for the football highlights, especially if you've avoided the results. Watching it on iPlayer on Sunday is good as you can fast forward through the waffle if you don't want to listen to Gary Lineker. ITV has a similar highlights programme for the Championship. It's a shame the Premier League don't stream matches themselves, or at least sell rights to a single company. Splitting the rights into multiple packages and selling them to different streaming services puts money before the fans, but what's new? Talksport and/or BBC Radio 5 might be worth a listen.
Sadly still too young (though not by much) for the coachcard, but its a thought for the future.

Been watching MOTD on VPN'd iplayer on my laptop for many years, it'll be great to watch it properly!! One of the few things I will miss from here is Optus Sport - all EPL games shown live!

Originally Posted by mikelincs
ITV is now ITVx which is OK and o Freeview, BUT not available on ALL TVs. I have a smart TV, Blaupunkt, and cant get it on that. I would suggest getting a 'smart' TV as there is more choice of platforms.
Ah ok, I had heard of ITVX but thought it was an iplayer type of add-on. I'll have to do a bit of research before investing in a TV
Old Mar 4th 2023, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly still too young (though not by much) for the coachcard, but its a thought for the future.

Been watching MOTD on VPN'd iplayer on my laptop for many years, it'll be great to watch it properly!! One of the few things I will miss from here is Optus Sport - all EPL games shown live!

Ah ok, I had heard of ITVX but thought it was an iplayer type of add-on. I'll have to do a bit of research before investing in a TV
I was same in NZ with spark sport but it’s absolutely crap times to watch U.K. sport. That’s probably why it’s so cheap.

I stream all the games on my phone and mirror the Tv.
Free and watch every game.
If you pay you need to have subscription for sky sports, bt sports, Amazon prime and you still can’t watch 3pm game on Saturday with the stupid boar war viewing rules.
Old Mar 4th 2023, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Same with cricket - last week's England matches vs. New Zealand were on BT Sport, this week vs. Bangladesh they're on Sky Sports.
Old Mar 5th 2023, 8:03 am
Home and Happy

Same with cricket - last week's England matches vs. New Zealand were on BT Sport, this week vs. Bangladesh they're on Sky Sports.
OK thanks for that. It seems for now I can still run Optus Sport via VPN connection back to Aus, and as thats paid for a couple of months it goves me time to research it!
Old Mar 5th 2023, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

I dip in and out of subscriptions depending on what's on. I don't watch that much, e.g. I didn't watch yesterday's Man. City vs. Newcastle match despite having a subscription. BT Sport + Sky Sports (via Now) + Amazon = approx. £80 monthly / £1,000 year, but can be dropped and re-started at will, so costs less over a year if doing this. Annual subscriptions are cheaper, although I've never worked out how much (just had a look, BT's "annual" subscription is 2 years). I should probably go this route even accepting my limited viewing, although I don't like some details of the deals - Now (Sky) providing a lower quality stream with adverts and charging an extra £6 / month to "upgrade" to standard quality, BT's inflation + 3.9% annual price increase. Stuff like this makes me less sympathetic to them when people by-pass subscriptions, although I don't do this myself. The police are currently trying to clamp down, e.g. shut down IPTV, but I expect it'll be an on-going issue.