Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back Australia-UK - any hints?

Moving back Australia-UK - any hints?

Old Jan 15th 2023, 9:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back Australia-UK - any hints?

Originally Posted by tdrinker
You've done very well to arrange a rental from overseas as it's difficult enough to do so in country.
Still holding my breath as the system is struggling to cope with the idea of paying the rent from a pension I don't actually have in my hand yet, but the agent and owner are keen. I'm still a bit shocked, and really hope it goes through cos never really expected to get one in advance!

Tesco Clubcard is necessary if you'll shop there, because as you've noticed they dual price on many products. It's not always that the Clubcard price is lower, but the non-Clubcard price is inflated.

Broadband - lots of deals (check the moneysavingexpert link), don't pay more than £20/month. Be ready to renegotiate or move suppliers at the end of the contract when the price jumps. Many companies do this, the so-called loyalty penalty so don't automatically re-new anything when it expires - TV streaming service, insurance, broadband, phone contract, etc.

NHS - check their website for local GP services and register with one once in the UK.

Bank accounts - check moneysavingexpert, lots of banks are offering incentives to get your custom. Even if you decide to stay with your current bank, there may be different bank accounts within the same bank offering varying benefits, so it's worth reviewing the options.

Update your address with your bank - the bank statement with your address on it can be used as proof of address as necessary. Update your address with other bodies / online services as required.

Use moneysavingexpert to cheat deals for phone, as your trusty sim might not be the best deal once you're back in the UK.
Thanks for all that - definitely going to sign up with moneysavingexpert - I'd heard of them years ago, but totally forgotten them.

PL Football - Sky has most games, BT has some, and Amazon a few. BT also has the Champions League. You can get Sky from Sky (obviously) or via Now TV (a Sky subsidiary). Sky and BT can be year plus contracts (and if you take one, you can subscribe to the other via it), but you can also take monthly subscriptions so you can dip in and out. Sometimes there is the option for a 24 hour day pass. It's no longer necessary to have a satellite dish to get Sky. There was recent press coverage of a police plan to raid houses of people illegally streaming football. Unfortunately, by splitting the PL football rights into 3 packages and selling them to different streaming services, it's expensive to get full coverage, doubly so as sports streaming is more expensive then non-sports streaming services. You will also need a TV licence - you need this if you watch any live TV (e.g. football on Sky) even if you don't watch the BBC.

If you need to submit a UK tax return, the online deadline is 31 January (although you have to set up an online account some months earlier, so you might as well do this just if it's relevant, i.e. you're self employed or have income not from employment taxed under PAYE). But the return is submitted in arrears, so the 31 January 2023 deadline is for the 2021/22 tax return (i.e. period 6 April 2021-5 April 2022).

Council tax - you need to register with your council to pay council tax. if you're living alone, apply for a 25% reduction.

Consider how you're going to get home from the airport (with your luggage). Unless someone's meeting you, you may want to pre-book a minicab (obviously, with sufficient luggage space). It will be cheaper than an airport taxi.
Very useful on the football front, gives me starting point.
Good point on the council tax - had it on my list but forgot about the discount.

I'm collapsing in a hotel at Heathrow for 24 hours, and they reckon they can get me a minicab at a good price; not braving National Express this time, too much luggage will make that far too stressful! I'll get a price from them nearer the time and compare with the likes of uber, and with booking one privately.

Thanks muchly!

Old Jan 15th 2023, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Only reason I was thinking of a tax return in the UK is because I almost certainly wouldn't be working the full year, and I'm not sure if they calculate any overpayment automatically at the end of the year? If they do, I probably wouldn't need t do one, if they don't I might need to depending at what point I start working.
As the self assessment tax return is submitted in arrears you could use an online tax calculator to check whether you have paid the correct amount of tax. There are several, it's worth using a couple to make sure they are giving a consistent answer.

Old Jan 15th 2023, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm collapsing in a hotel at Heathrow for 24 hours, and they reckon they can get me a minicab at a good price; not braving National Express this time, too much luggage will make that far too stressful! I'll get a price from them nearer the time and compare with the likes of uber, and with booking one privately.
For a minicab quote, you can also try a comparison site which will present quotes from several companies, e.g.:

https://www.minicabit.com/
Old Jan 15th 2023, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can see the upcoming televised PL football games and who is screening them here. Sky has 128 games, BT Sport 52 games, Amazon 20 games.

https://www.live-footballontv.com/li...all-on-tv.html

Old Jan 16th 2023, 1:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As the self assessment tax return is submitted in arrears you could use an online tax calculator to check whether you have paid the correct amount of tax. There are several, it's worth using a couple to make sure they are giving a consistent answer.
For a minicab quote, you can also try a comparison site which will present quotes from several companies, e.g.:

https://www.minicabit.com/
You can see the upcoming televised PL football games and who is screening them here. Sky has 128 games, BT Sport 52 games, Amazon 20 games.

https://www.live-footballontv.com/li...all-on-tv.html
Thanks, thats all really helpful info
Old Jan 16th 2023, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

On the HMRC taxes question, if you haven't done so already it will be well worth setting up your account on the HMRC gov website where you can see your taxes, NI contributions etc. Certainly not a big rush to get this done.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-h...vices/register

Or you could do what our son did. Nothing. And let HMRC figure it out. He returned end of September, 2017, started a job end of October/ early November. Sometime the following year he told me that HMRC had sent him a refund because he had paid too much tax through PAYE.

Last edited by durham_lad; Jan 16th 2023 at 8:55 am.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for starting this thread Pollyana, not all of it is applicable to us but it's answering quite a few of my questions and some I hadn't got round to thinking about yet.
Thanks for all the input from those contributing to it.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Ah that makes sense now, when I was home in October and shopping in Tesco some of the labels had two different prices on, quite a difference on some of them!

Anyone got recommendations for contents insurance? Was with Abbey National years ago, but clearly thats not going to do me any good now!
We’ve always found Direct Line v good for car/contents insurance.

Old Jan 17th 2023, 5:25 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by durham_lad
On the HMRC taxes question, if you haven't done so already it will be well worth setting up your account on the HMRC gov website where you can see your taxes, NI contributions etc. Certainly not a big rush to get this done.

https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-h...vices/register

Or you could do what our son did. Nothing. And let HMRC figure it out. He returned end of September, 2017, started a job end of October/ early November. Sometime the following year he told me that HMRC had sent him a refund because he had paid too much tax through PAYE.
I do have an account, just use it to check my NI, never looked into the tax side of it there - I'll have a play, many thanks!

Originally Posted by OzSheila
We’ve always found Direct Line v good for car/contents insurance.
I'll check them, thanks!

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair
Thanks for starting this thread Pollyana, not all of it is applicable to us but it's answering quite a few of my questions and some I hadn't got round to thinking about yet.
Thanks for all the input from those contributing to it.
Good luck with your move - glad this is helpful!
Old Jan 18th 2023, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Finally I think I am up for parole, hoping to leave early March

So I now have a list of my lists, and am wondering if any of you who have previously gone back from Aus have any tips, beyond the obvious stuff.

Shipping organised, just needs to be paid for. TOR has come through - it only took 2 days!
Withdrawal of super currently underway, so I can move it all to the UK before Ieave Australia.
UK bank account has survived and is still open and ready to use (thank heavens I did something right years ago in refusing to close it!)
Rental organised as long as the stupid computerised system understands the idea of moving Super and then living on it
Flight booked, excess baggage booked, resignation done, notice on current flat done clearance of junk organised.
Aus powerboards and adapters packed, UK simcard up and running (its done well, has been in use since 1999

Any hints or tips welcomed, I’m sure I’ve forgotten things.

Does anyone know if I can submit an Aus tax return early, or do I have to wait till July?
I assume I will need to submit a UK tax return? But as I am arriving almost at the end of the UK tax year and won’t be working until well into the new tax year, maybe I don’t need to do one?
Any thoughts on stuff like Nectar cards? In Aus I found flybuys a waste of time, but Woolies Rewards was ok as they could go towards Qantas FF. Qantas points obviously won’t be much use, but is it worth opening a BA account? I’ll be flying to Europe, mainly Spain, a fair bit, and as I’m in the”wheelchair/early boarding” bracket when flying, I’m wondering if joining the BA Executive Club is worthwhile? Can you rack up points shopping elsewhere, like Qantas FF?
Any thoughts on who is best for supermarket online shopping? As in who makes the least stupid replacements, turns up on time etc
Any thoughts on internet?My phone was Orange, so is now EE, but are they a good bet for unlimited internet? Not sure yetabout subscriptions to Sky etc, though I will be looking at whoever has Premier League games.

All help/comments welcome, both by me and I’m sure by anyone else planning the same move!
You should changed your profession and start us as an expat settlement officer your list is that good, well done you. I would wait until you return to the UK and have a look around if you want to change your mobile carrier, I have a pre paid mobile (have some since we arrived in 2010) with Vodafone I find it excellent but there are many others to choose from it depends on what you need and use your mobile for, Tesco also have its own mobile shops and in person for me is better as you can tell them what you want and sort it out from there. Tesco and Sainsburys have cards for points they are free which are really good I save my Tesco points up and in November I have an early Christmas gift with the money vouchers Tesco send me, Sainsburys works you get points as you spend and you can use those points anytime you like to use off your shop, again I save up mine for when I want to buy something “special” as Sainsburys owns Argos you can use it there, boots and Superdrug are the same and yes I have those as well some on my mobile but most in card form. We join any hotel membership which is free to join and use but we have not bothered with retaining our Quantas or British Airways points card as we use other cheaper airlines, you can “book” excellent holiday bargains for overseas in advance or last min. I hope all goes well for you and wish you all the best in your exciting new journey.
Old Jan 18th 2023, 4:55 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by brits1
You should changed your profession and start us as an expat settlement officer your list is that good, well done you. I would wait until you return to the UK and have a look around if you want to change your mobile carrier, I have a pre paid mobile (have some since we arrived in 2010) with Vodafone I find it excellent but there are many others to choose from it depends on what you need and use your mobile for, Tesco also have its own mobile shops and in person for me is better as you can tell them what you want and sort it out from there. Tesco and Sainsburys have cards for points they are free which are really good I save my Tesco points up and in November I have an early Christmas gift with the money vouchers Tesco send me, Sainsburys works you get points as you spend and you can use those points anytime you like to use off your shop, again I save up mine for when I want to buy something “special” as Sainsburys owns Argos you can use it there, boots and Superdrug are the same and yes I have those as well some on my mobile but most in card form. We join any hotel membership which is free to join and use but we have not bothered with retaining our Quantas or British Airways points card as we use other cheaper airlines, you can “book” excellent holiday bargains for overseas in advance or last min. I hope all goes well for you and wish you all the best in your exciting new journey.
I keep thinking of all the things I had to do when I moved here, and thats helped me put the list together.
Thanks for the info on the cards, very handy!
I'm going to let Qantas go when I've used up all the points on hotel bookings etc, but I'm a bit of a sucker for comfortable travel, especially Lounge access, its so handy when flights are delayed, and I also have friends who are BA crew, so I will be flying with BA a bit at least, though some of my European trips will probably be with cheaper airlines, Vueling to Spain for example.
Old Jan 19th 2023, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

If you'll be buying a house when you go back, these sites may help:

utilities: https://www.pleaseconnectme.co.uk/services/

flood risk: https://www.gov.uk/check-long-term-flood-risk

japanese knotweed: https://horticulture.co.uk/japanese-knotweed/

locality info:https://niceareas.co.uk/
Old Jan 19th 2023, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

If you have any spare cash to invest, consider doing so via an ISA, as the income and capital gains from ISA's are tax-free. ISA's are restricted to UK residents, can hold cash or other investments (e.g. shares or bonds) and are restricted to £20k per tax year. The tax year is 6 April - 5 April, so as you are arriving in the UK in early March, if you are quick you can invest £20k for the 2022/23 tax year (ending 5 April 2023) and again after 6 April for the 2023/24 tax year.
Old Jan 19th 2023, 9:34 pm
Home and Happy

If you have any spare cash to invest, consider doing so via an ISA, as the income and capital gains from ISA's are tax-free. ISA's are restricted to UK residents, can hold cash or other investments (e.g. shares or bonds) and are restricted to £20k per tax year. The tax year is 6 April - 5 April, so as you are arriving in the UK in early March, if you are quick you can invest £20k for the 2022/23 tax year (ending 5 April 2023) and again after 6 April for the 2023/24 tax year.
OK, thanks, never wandered into the ISA world before but might be worth it now. The cash won't be "spare" as such, it'll be the entire contents of my super fund coming with me and has to be invested somewhere, but putting some into ISAs might be a good idea.
Old Mar 1st 2023, 4:14 am
Home and Happy

For anyone following on behind me on the trip home, some updates.

Shipping -Chess have so far been great, very helpful, excellent staff that did the uplift in Brisbane. 🤞🏻 just got to hope its as good the other end.
Seven Seas -airfreighting a bag with them, good customer service but their online system is a nightmare, needs much patience and a lot of wine.
Keys to the rental in Aus went back today & I’m in a motel for a few days. Bond cleaners were great, kerbside collection took most of the old furniture. The bins for the 7 units in my block took the rest 😂

Red Energy promise final bills by next week. I got the regular quarterly gas bill last week, and it has gone uo by a third, so anyone saying energy costs here aren’t rising, is deluded ( Aus forum last week, can’t remember who)

Successfully rented a flat whilst still in Australia, the agents did videos as well as the original photos so I could see everything, even videoed inside cupboards etc. I just have to confirm the inventory when I arrive next week, and they are aware of arrival date etc and that the inventory won’t be confirmed till then. Very helpful with confirming finances, and talking things through. Anyone going to the Brighton area, I can thoroughly recommend Sawyer & Co of Hove.

Finance-wise, money was moved with OFX to Lloyds, took 24 hours, just took one call to OFX to set it up, one to ANZ in Aus to confirm it was really me moving it, and all done.Much easier than expected.

Aussie phone contract converted to PAYG so I retain the number to finalise tax, banks etc,
UK phone needs a higher data contract but can’t fix that till I arrive.

Friendly local bed shop I remember from years ago are attempting to get basic furntiure delivered within a week, to lessen hotel time, and will assemble furniture for a small cash payment -that sort of thing is important as a singleton with arthritis.Excellent service, shout &recommendation for Brighton Bed Co Ltd

Tesco and Aamazon deliveries lined up,all the essentials within 2-3 days of arrival.I can literally sit in the hotel at Heathrow on Sunday and order everything currently in the shopping baskets from there, be set up pretty much 3 days later. Prime already in place, clubcard now active. Interested to see I can do Morrisons through Amazon, some prices are cheaper than Tesco, but not all, so I’ll use both.

Poll tax, very easy to sign up for online, same with TV licence (OMG the BBC with no VPN and buffering issues!!). Water is proving an issue but I think its their website, supply is there, they just can’t get the bill sent right 😄 No gas, for electric I am just going with EON who are there at present, can rethink later if necessary.

Contents insurance - to my amusement Saga were the cheapest, never thought I,d be using them, but here goes, I’m old now, I guess!!

Bus tickets already bought - Brighton, and probably other cities, now do mobile tickets, buy in advance & just activate when you need them, then show the ticket on your phone when boarding. I have a 3 month ticket, so cheap travel.

Football, taxis etc still to be investigated, next week 😱

Any questions, I will do my best to answer, either now or next week.

Nearly there, freedom is so close I can almost touch it.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.