Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving Back from Aus after 7 years....

Moving Back from Aus after 7 years....

Old Aug 16th 2012, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Moving Back from Aus after 7 years....

Ok, so I have made the decision... and since making it Ive been happier than I have in a long time! Soi I figure thats a good sign...

I have recently successfully been regraded at work and have a bit of back pay, so that will start my return fund!

I came here with quite a bit of stuff, but I intend to get rid of all the furniture white good etc and just take personal stuff back, pictures a few bits clothes, and my cat!

I no longer have a house in England, or ofcourse a job, but as a social worker it wont be a problem in the UK, Ill get something.

I arrived in Adelaide almost 7 years ago, on my own, knew nobody, I moved to Sydney 3 years ago... on my own knowing nobody. Now have friends all over Aus, So going back should be a doddle Ive come to the conclusion!

Think Im going to return to London as opposed to Portsmouth, think itll be easier that way atleats initially, to get work etc, and I feel better about that.

So with 6/7 months I better get cracking on the big clear out, and getting the cats jabs etc!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice
Default Re: Moving Back from Aus after 7 years....

Woohoo congrats on making the decision

We finally did that last week and I am like a different person since! We are hoping to head back this time next year
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck back home PB.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Awww thanks! I wonder if Ill feel like this the whole 7 months! I feel like doing a little jig!
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:53 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Feels good once the decision is made Good luck to you and Kitty.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Ok, so I have made the decision... and since making it Ive been happier than I have in a long time! Soi I figure thats a good sign...

I have recently successfully been regraded at work and have a bit of back pay, so that will start my return fund!

I came here with quite a bit of stuff, but I intend to get rid of all the furniture white good etc and just take personal stuff back, pictures a few bits clothes, and my cat!

I no longer have a house in England, or ofcourse a job, but as a social worker it wont be a problem in the UK, Ill get something.

I arrived in Adelaide almost 7 years ago, on my own, knew nobody, I moved to Sydney 3 years ago... on my own knowing nobody. Now have friends all over Aus, So going back should be a doddle Ive come to the conclusion!

Think Im going to return to London as opposed to Portsmouth, think itll be easier that way atleats initially, to get work etc, and I feel better about that.

So with 6/7 months I better get cracking on the big clear out, and getting the cats jabs etc!
Hi, I would slowly start arranging your move just so your not doing everything last min. and stressing etc. If your not sure on where your going to return to try and do as much homework as you can...ie work, expense etc and try and earmark areas that you know you prefer. Good luck and all the best to you
Old Aug 19th 2012, 9:35 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Can I ask what made you decide to return? Not been on here for a while so sorry if I missed an earlier post lol! Just I'm sort of in the same boat as you, I'm 45, came here alone, been here nearly 5 years and now have citizenship so am free to leave. My main problems were my evil ex (now moved) and my horrible boss (now left!) so am kinda sitting on the fence wondering what to do. I earn great money here but preferred my job in the UK and I really miss my family and friends. I'm just in limbo atm and its horrible Good luck with everything

Last edited by MissBetty; Aug 19th 2012 at 9:45 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Shame you don't still live in Adelaide - we could have house swapped.

My sister is in social work in Cardiff and has never had any problems finding work. They have all just gone through regrading, and had some meddling with pensions and stuff as part of the governments spending cuts. I'm not sure what work there is in the private sectors but I would guess it's out there. Good luck in with the move
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 5:58 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Miss Betty, it seems like your signature answers the question in your post, no?
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 6:08 am
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Miss Betty, it seems like your signature answers the question in your post, no?
Yes I suppose it does really doesn't it? I love that quote by (alledgedly) Mark Twain, makes me feel better when I am having a bad day. I've just got back from an (unsuccessful) resuscitation, never fails to make me realise just how short life is really.

Loving your blog btw, lovely pics too :0)

Last edited by MissBetty; Aug 22nd 2012 at 6:52 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:01 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MissBetty
Yes I suppose it does really doesn't it? I love that quote by (alledgedly) Mark Twain, makes me feel better when I am having a bad day. I've just got back from an (unsuccessful) resuscitation, never fails to make me realise just how short life is really.

Loving your blog btw, lovely pics too :0)
It took me a minute after I read this post because I was thinking 'how can she still be posting if she wasn't resuscitated?

But now I'm with it, I totally agree. A job like that must bring home how precious life really is and how much we must seize the day while we can. My husband says I'm always in too much of a rush but I can't help it - I'm always aware that time may be short and I want to cram in as much as I can!

I hope you do decide to come home - it really is wonderful here.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 9:26 am
Practical Paramedic

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It took me a minute after I read this post because I was thinking 'how can she still be posting if she wasn't resuscitated?

But now I'm with it, I totally agree. A job like that must bring home how precious life really is and how much we must seize the day while we can. My husband says I'm always in too much of a rush but I can't help it - I'm always aware that time may be short and I want to cram in as much as I can!

I hope you do decide to come home - it really is wonderful here.
Ha ha that made me chuckle! Sorry, should have made it clear I'm a paramedic Yes, you are right, it does make me grateful for so many things and I just don't want to miss out on any more family time, no amount of money, golden beaches or endless sunshine can make up for that.

I will come home and sooner rather than later hopefully, just sorting everything out now. Have my citizenship now, a holiday in Nov that's booked and paid for then my lease runs out on my rental property here in Dec and I will be free to leave. Just putting as much money by as I can, I'd like to go back to working freelance in the UK as I did before. I'm state registered still which will help enormously, I just need to retake some refresher courses for PHTLS. PALS and ACLS. They're expensive but necessary if you work outside of the NHS ambulance services.

Like so many people on here I had to go away to realise just how great the UK is. I don't hate Australia but its not my home and it never will be. Glad for the experience but its time to move on...........
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Betty, it took ages to finally make the decison, its been swirling about in my head on and off for the whole time, but always it was wait for Pr...wait for citizenship etc... To be honest getting the back pay helped, the expense and all the kerfuffle probably put me off....

I just feel right about it you know? I know it wont be easy aftert all this time, Ill probably go to Lonodn and havent lived there in 20 years, but I see it as a new adventure as your signature says!

I think id rather live in the UK and visit Oz than the other way round!

Also I find social welfare quite backward here, and social services etc much less organised, just less dynamic (I'm being polite!)

But we will see...Ill ertainly keep everyone informed and I must start making some lists!...
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Miss Betty, it took ages to finally make the decison, its been swirling about in my head on and off for the whole time, but always it was wait for Pr...wait for citizenship etc... To be honest getting the back pay helped, the expense and all the kerfuffle probably put me off....

I just feel right about it you know? I know it wont be easy aftert all this time, Ill probably go to Lonodn and havent lived there in 20 years, but I see it as a new adventure as your signature says!

Also I find social welfare quite backward here, and social services etc much less organised, just less dynamic (I'm being polite!)

But we will see...Ill ertainly keep everyone informed and I must start making some lists!...
I so hear you!

We are the same we would rather live in the UK and visit NZ then the other way around!

Once that decision is finally made it's like a switch that gets flipped! We have spent so many years tooing and froing (spelling) it feels so good to be certain
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 10:44 am
Practical Paramedic

Hi PB, thanks for the reply, totally know where your coming from!

I think for me once I got citizenship I knew that I was free to go which set off the whole should I/shouldn't I?do I/don't I in motion. I'm just saving like mad now , there is so much I miss about the UK, my last visit home really unsettled me. I had to come back to get my citizenship, as I still had 4 months to go, and I just cried my eyes out at the airport - that never happened before and I was thinking wtf?!!!!

Like you I find in my job here they are light years behind, protocols and drugs we had in the NHS 5-8 years ago are just being introduced now. I feel with regard to my career I m 'stuck' and this will be it and I am not sure I can accept it as I love what I do.

Well I shall be following your progress with interest, keep the updates coming and the very best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.