Moving back in 4 weeks!

Old Sep 20th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

CarolPat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back in 4 weeks!

The cats and I are booked to fly back to the UK on Oct. 18. I've lived in the US for 34 years so this should be quite an experience - especially moving back into my childhood bedroom initially! I think the cats may make the transition more easily than I do, but overall I'm looking forward to it. My main anxiety is that my 92 year-old Mum [still hale and hearty] will either treat me like a teenager again or will expect me to be her full-time companion - neither of which will work for me. Being closer was the goal but still to have my own life. Interesting times ahead! I'm sure I'll be seeking practical advice on all sorts of things as I learn my way around the new Britain!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:21 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back in 4 weeks!

Good luck I hope it goes well
Old Sep 21st 2011, 12:12 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CarolPat
The cats and I are booked to fly back to the UK on Oct. 18. I've lived in the US for 34 years so this should be quite an experience - especially moving back into my childhood bedroom initially! I think the cats may make the transition more easily than I do, but overall I'm looking forward to it. My main anxiety is that my 92 year-old Mum [still hale and hearty] will either treat me like a teenager again or will expect me to be her full-time companion - neither of which will work for me. Being closer was the goal but still to have my own life. Interesting times ahead! I'm sure I'll be seeking practical advice on all sorts of things as I learn my way around the new Britain!
Indeed, it is the new Britain, it has changed in the 18 yrs we were away, how changed, hard to say, it looks about the same as expected, I think it is the attitudes, behaviors and values of the people that has changed and affected me the most. And of course, after 18 yrs in US I had changed too.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 10:07 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Indeed, it is the new Britain, it has changed in the 18 yrs we were away, how changed, hard to say, it looks about the same as expected, I think it is the attitudes, behaviors and values of the people that has changed and affected me the most. And of course, after 18 yrs in US I had changed too.
I think that's the thing - how much we have changed. When I talk to my friends, I can't say their attitudes have really changed if I'm honest. It's more that I've changed and now I notice their attitudes (quite negative and cynical).

The stuff people go on about - bad manners, kids cursing too much, lots of drinking etc - were all there when I left 22 years ago. I don't know why they're such a surprise to returnees ... unless those problems were up north 22 years ago but not down south, and have now migrated down there?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:15 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Not long now CP. Good luck with the move!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:11 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Moving back in 4 weeks!

Don't forget to list your flight info and we can all track your journey to the UK on the flight tracker!

(It's in the 'sticky' at the top of this page!)
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmm. I'm not seeing anything I'd call a "sticky". What does it look like?

Two weeks from today I expect I'll be a total mess of excitement and second-guessing. Luckily I'm leaning more towards excitement right now - though the gorgeous Fall weather here in Atlanta will be hard to leave.

The latest wrinkle in the whole process was discovering last week that many US institutions, such as banks, don't officially allow you to have an account if you're not a resident. I'm told it's another one of those post 9/11 ridiculosities.

I'm looking forward to a farewell dinner tonight with a bunch of friends. I expect it will become tearful ...
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:53 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting!

Good luck with everything and please keep us posted!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 4:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm. I'm not seeing anything I'd call a "sticky". What does it look like?

Two weeks from today I expect I'll be a total mess of excitement and second-guessing. Luckily I'm leaning more towards excitement right now - though the gorgeous Fall weather here in Atlanta will be hard to leave.

The latest wrinkle in the whole process was discovering last week that many US institutions, such as banks, don't officially allow you to have an account if you're not a resident. I'm told it's another one of those post 9/11 ridiculosities.

I'm looking forward to a farewell dinner tonight with a bunch of friends. I expect it will become tearful ...
Sticky stuff (that doesn't move or go away) it's the posts highlighted in Green at the top of the list
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Re: bank accounts - I've not found it to be the case that I cannot have a US bank account through not being resident - and I don't recall if I was asked if i was a citizen or not.
I have kept accounts with BBT & a Credit Union.

It may be appropriate to not keep a bank account to show that you are no longer resident in a State for state tax purposes - but as it is a small $$ amount and having sold house and home and handed in driving licenses etc we had no concerns about non-residency from North Carolina.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

I'm with Bank of America and was quietly advised by the teller not to even try to change my account to a non-US address. I'm leery of inquiring further in case it's a slippery slope so I'm leaving it as is for now and will take advice once back in the UK. I do everything electronically anyway.

Does anyone have advice about currency exchange? I'll need to exchange dollars for pounds regularly and wonder where to get the best rate.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

usoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud ofusoruk has much to be proud of

Good luck on your new adventures back home...Currency-Airport does not give good rates-my sister used to work in banking in UK and says exchange on high street banks is better, even Marks and Spencer for smaller amounts perhaps is better.

Look of UK is still the same-but I suppose attitudes have changed a bit-America gets everywhere!!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 2:34 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

If you are sending money from US to UK frequently, you should check out Xe.com and UKforex.com some US citizens on UK-Yankees use paypal too.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the currency exchange suggestions. I'll check them out.