moving advice

Old Jan 15th 2023, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default moving advice

Hi!

I'm in the process of planning our move back to the UK for around summer and trying to decide what items to sell / donate and what to bring.

There are pieces of furniture we have that I love; ie) solid wood dining table and chair but I will look into selling if it's not worth it to ship; also, my daughter loves reading and has accumulated A LOT of books! We've downsized and donated many but there are still around 100 titles she insists on bringing!!

Any advice on what is worth shipping and what not to bring? Would it be worth shipping boxes of books over? Any advice or tips are much appreciated!
Old Jan 15th 2023, 9:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving advice

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Hi!

I'm in the process of planning our move back to the UK for around summer and trying to decide what items to sell / donate and what to bring.

There are pieces of furniture we have that I love; ie) solid wood dining table and chair but I will look into selling if it's not worth it to ship; also, my daughter loves reading and has accumulated A LOT of books! We've downsized and donated many but there are still around 100 titles she insists on bringing!!

Any advice on what is worth shipping and what not to bring? Would it be worth shipping boxes of books over? Any advice or tips are much appreciated!
Only around 100? Wish I could be that ruthless! If she doesn't bring them, will she want to replace them? Cos that won't be cheap. I got kindle editions of several of mine but a lot just aren't available electronically. Replacement can work out horribly expensive for everything, and certainly from Australia its cheaper to ship a lot of books, small kitchen stuff etc and just replace furniture.

Only way to work it out is a long session on UK websites looking at replacement costs.
Old Jan 16th 2023, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving advice

We're just doing the same thing. I went online and priced up what it would cost to replace all our furniture if we didn't ship it, and the replacement costs equalled the shipping cost for all our stuff.
Given that we like our furniture and it's all in good nick, and that we'd still have to pay shipping for all our personal bits and bobs, we decided to ship nearly everything.
Downsides I suppose are that if we bought new on our return we'd probably never have to buy furniture again, and there's no guarantee that what we take back is going to fit in wherever we end up buying.