Reload this Page >

Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

djmoore is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

Hello all

I have just moved back in the UK after 14 years.
Since I was only 11 years old when I left England, I didnt get a National Insurance number.

So today I went to the Job seeker plus centre here in Worthing to apply and they gave me a number to phone. But I have been trying the number for about, in total, 3 hours and no one answer.

Is there any advise for me. Because I need a NI number to do most things it seems(like open a Bank account,etc.)

So is there anyone who can help me?
thank you in advance.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:36 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

hiya,

do a search on here as this has come up a few times before. Sorry to say that you are probably in for a tough time getting an NI number if previous posters' experience is anything to go by.

Incidentally....we also moved to SA in 1991, but to Underberg in Natal. Whereabouts did you go to?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

I moved from shoreham by sea to Durbanville, Cape Town. In the 14 years I moved alot but only left the Western Cape once to PE.

Am now in Lancing staying with his family.

It does seem that the Jobcentre and everyone else connected to the NI number are trying their best to get as few ppl as pos to be help per a day.

So far we as so posted all my details with my parents and siblings details to them. But I need to work ASAP. I NEED that NI number to start living.
Am not here for claims & free benefits. Not yet.

Is there any advice for opening a bank acc. and for starting work.
I have seen more jobs for temp for the end of year season. Can I start work with out a NI number?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 9:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djmoore
Can I start work with out a NI number?
If you have a British citizen passport - yes.

Although the problem is that some employers don't understand the law and demand an NI number even when it's not required. Be assertive.

From the Home Office website:
http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/ind...tions_you.html

-----------

Q3. Following your changes to section 8, how can a British citizen prove their eligibility to work in the UK?

A. A British citizen may prove their eligibility to work by showing either their passport as a single document, or a combination of the following documents from List 2:

an official document showing their permanent National Insurance Number, such as a P45, P60 or National Insurance Number card and

* a long birth certificate, or
* a certificate of registration as a British citizen, or
* a certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen.

-----------

Bank Account

The big problem with opening a bank account in the UK (for new residents) seems to be the need to prove where you live. Most of the 'official' ways to do this require documentation that only established UK householders have.

Options to work-around this may include:

- Sort out a UK drivers licence as soon as possible.
- See if the branch where your parents bank will let you open an account based on a reference from them
- Open the account using your old address in South Africa (if you can get mail forwarded). Or ask your bank or credit card company there to change your address to your UK address and send you a statement.
- Open an account at a Channel Islands or Isle of Man branch where the banks are more used to dealing with non-UK residents. These branches are still part of the UK banking system so you can make and receive sterling payments easily.
- Get on the electoral roll as soon as possible. They now update the register each month. Your local council will have details.

Jeremy
Old Sep 27th 2005, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Question Re: Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

Thank you for your reply, JAJ

I do have a British, EU passport and also both short/long birth certs.
I'm gonna see my brothers Building Soci. today. we will see how that goes

Am gonna go back to the jobcentre plus today to tell them that am getting no where with the number they gave me, and if they can help me in any other way.

have to go now.
Keep you updated later today

thanks everyone so far
Old Sep 27th 2005, 11:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There's no such thing as an "EU passport". The EU is not a country and does not issue passports.

Am gonna go back to the jobcentre plus today to tell them that am getting no where with the number they gave me, and if they can help me in any other way.
If they won't help, or advise you exactly what you need to do to get an NI number, then write to or phone your MP and maybe that will produce some results.

Or try http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/benefits/ni_number.asp

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 27th 2005 at 11:34 am.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 1:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Moved back from S Africa after 14 years

have to go now.
Keep you updated later today

thanks everyone so far
In the interim they should give you a "Temporary NINO" (temporary National Insurance Number) until you are issued with a permanent one.

If you had chosen to 'sign on' to register for work they would have to give you a temporary NINO. (I used to work at an Unemployment Benefit Office years ago).

In fact, until you do get a job I would advise you to *insist* that you want to 'sign on' at the Employment Service Jobcentre even if it's just for your National Insurance Credits only; this will go towards your State Retirement Pension only. Obviously you can't get Unemployment Benefit (Jobseekers Allowance) as you don't have any Class 1 National Insurance credits which are based on previous tax years. If you have come across to the UK with savings you won't be able to get Income Support either (I think you have to have less than 3,000 pounds before you can claim Income Support - but do check the latest figures).

It's definitely worth signing on for your NI credits though until you can get a full time job ....insist on speaking with a supervisor if you're getting nowhere with the admin officer at the desk.

Hope this helps.