Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moved back to England family just visited and realised how much I miss them...

Moved back to England family just visited and realised how much I miss them...

Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice
Default Moved back to England family just visited and realised how much I miss them...

Hi all I was on this forum a while ago after returning to the UK from Aus and got some useful advice.

My story is I am 24 years old and I moved with my family in 2001 from England to Melbourne, Australia and stayed there until April 2009 when I moved back to England on my own.

Since being back in England I have not regretted moving back. I have a better social life with a closer group of friends and in general I do love England. The down side would be on the job front finding full time permanent work is tough and i have been doing temping work at various places while its ok I want to have a FT Perm job.

I had kind of grown used to not seeing my family everyday over the months that followed since moving back although of course I do miss them.

In July my sister n her bf came over for 2 weeks and most recently my Mum and Dad came over for 3 weeks and I had a really great time with them and did realise things I was missing out on not being around them.

For the first time ever since my move back I have begun to question slightly if I was being selfish coming back here....My mum and dad miss me terribly and them cryng at the airport as they left was really hard to see and I do really miss them.

On one side I dont regret coming back here to London but on the other I feel a bit guilty and genuinly miss my family. In an ideal world they would move back here but that is not going to happen although they miss some parts of english life they are happy in Aus, although they do miss me. On the work front my family can provide me with a Full time permanent job due to my dads work something which has been a big struggle to find back in London at the moment.

Just a bit confused right now and maybe Im feeling like this because they have just left but it wasn't until I saw them again I felt I want to be closer to them and realising how hard it must be for them but to do that I have to move back to Aus where I was less happy in my life but was with my family.

Last edited by Nathan84; Aug 30th 2010 at 11:24 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

alexa7 will become famous soon enoughalexa7 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Moved back to England family just visited and realised how much I miss them...

but you can always move back to aus and be with your family, when can you live in UK and enjoy yourself? you're only 24!!!!!!!!!!!!! travel around, enjoy all the aspects of life in UK and then when you're slightly older and ready to start a family why not move to aus to be closer to your folks?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:56 am
Just Joined

Sarah_1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moved back to England family just visited and realised how much I miss them...

Hey,

I feel your pain! I live in Australia, am 25 and my family are back in the UK. I moved here when i was 21 and have debated ever since if i did the right thing! I understand about what you mean about missing family! However i would have to say, travel your heart out!

Good luck hope you figure it out, and maybe someone can help me too one day!!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I think at your age, you are in a good place to build a new life. If you find a significant other who you want to spend your years with, you will find it much easier to do without the aged rellies. My son gets married to a UK girl next year - he comes back every 3 or 4 years and catches up with us then is happy to go back. If your parents really really miss you then maybe they could move to UK. You have to live life for yourself not for your aged rellies - they did the departure thing to their parents and didnt look back, I dont think it is fair on them to be putting the guilt trip on you. It's your life so live it! See and do everything you want to do. Glad it has been going well despite the temp job thing - that will turn around soon I am sure as you get known and get UK experience.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:13 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Doing something for yourself is not at all selfish.

Every parent wants their children to experience life, to see new and exciting things and to travel. Of course they miss you, and you them, it's only natural. But as others have mentioned, you are still young and have the rest of your life ahead of you. You can always move back later, but for now enjoy your new adventure and relish in your independence. Your parents will always be there for you, so enjoy the here and now
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Nathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really niceNathan84 is just really nice

Hey guys thanks for the replies .

Yeah I do feel at home in England something I never felt in Aus really and you are right in saying you have to live your life for you and not other people.

Just guess I needed some views on it. In all honesty I don't really want to move back to Aus right now but in the future when Im really ready to settle down/family and all that jazz who knows. But for now England is def my preffered choice even though you do miss family. I guess I'll get used to them not being around like I was before before they visited. Thanks again people
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

Life is long and full of surprises. Maybe at some point in the future your parents will move back to UK, or for some reason you will start to love Australia. Honestly you never know. Probably most of the people on this forum thought, at some stage, that they would never move country again (me for one). Good luck!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
I think at your age, you are in a good place to build a new life. If you find a significant other who you want to spend your years with, you will find it much easier to do without the aged rellies. My son gets married to a UK girl next year - he comes back every 3 or 4 years and catches up with us then is happy to go back. If your parents really really miss you then maybe they could move to UK. You have to live life for yourself not for your aged rellies - they did the departure thing to their parents and didnt look back, I dont think it is fair on them to be putting the guilt trip on you. It's your life so live it! See and do everything you want to do. Glad it has been going well despite the temp job thing - that will turn around soon I am sure as you get known and get UK experience.
As usual really good adivce....I remember at Perth airport with tears in my eyes when our family went back to the UK after a holiday with us and for a few days it felt horrible but I had my own family around me and not a bad way of life....you just have to enjoy your life the best way you want to lead it...that's not selfish....you might be feeling down after your family has gone back...that's very natural...and maybe harder as your family took it so badly and you had to see them cry...your parents should be very proud of you...and also happy that your happy...hard I know when your children leave...your young...enjoy life as much as you can....when you stop enjoying what you do,where you are etc...then change..but really do it for yourself...when and if the time comes